BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mclaren

We could do a lot worse than Davies (cue tnr dragging back a post from 2 years ago where he suggested it first). Charisteas worked wonders for Greece in 04. I'd stick with AJ though - he's a good player. He has pace, movement and can finish. Our problem, IMO, is that when we try these new strikers they don't get a run of games unless they immediately score. Look at what has happened to James Beattie.

When Dean Ashton comes back I expect him to start getting into squads with regularity, provided he can recapture his good form after a long injury.

why not give Nugent a chance?, tonights game would be ideal for him to make his debut

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I disagree with a lot of those picks. Govou, Silvestre, Chimbonda and Cisse wouldn't make it. I wouldn't pick Escude or Anelka either. You are then faced with several age arguments and I would probably drop Viera now and replace him with Hargreaves, Thuram would be replaced with someone younger (even just putting Ferdinand in) and Foster would make the squad instead of one of those keepers. The other 6 places would go to Ferdinand (if he replaces Thuram then I would pick another midfielder or striker), Neville, Carragher, A. Cole, J. Cole and Beckham. It is maybe a little short on strikers but 4 in a squad of 25 with several midfielders who can fill in or the choice of changing the formation seems fine to me.

Who from England would you pick over Anelka? I could only see Owen and Rooney. If you watched the France match Saturday, he was by far their most dangerous player.

Again, we could do worse than Nugent. I believe that people are probably more excited about him because he's a bit of "the unknown". I know a few Preston fans who see him every week who think it's hilarious that he's in the England squad. People generally get excited about young, quick strikers. I don't think he's better than Andy Johnson at the moment, so why not keep Johnson in the team and give him a bit more time with Rooney?

Also, if Nugent starts and bags 6 goals - it's against Andorra. What has he proven? So, in effect, he can't actually win, because the quality of the opposition is so poor.

Again, we could do worse than Nugent. I believe that people are probably more excited about him because he's a bit of "the unknown". I know a few Preston fans who see him every week who think it's hilarious that he's in the England squad. People generally get excited about young, quick strikers. I don't think he's better than Andy Johnson at the moment, so why not keep Johnson in the team and give him a bit more time with Rooney?

Also, if Nugent starts and bags 6 goals - it's against Andorra. What has he proven? So, in effect, he can't actually win, because the quality of the opposition is so poor.

thats will apply to Johnson as well then, because he has not proven himself on the international scene yet

I agree that anyone getting 2/3/4 goals against lower opposition doesn't mean they should be a regular eg Johnson tonight.

But international teams do have to play a large % of games against 'poorer' quality teams, I think maybe there is space for certain players like Crouch who have a good record against the lower quality teams. Maybe their game is more suited to a more basic style of play?

thats will apply to Johnson as well then, because he has not proven himself on the international scene yet

Of course. But I think Johnson 1) is better than Nugent and 2) deserves his place more. So why drop him?

Let's be honest. We'd all rather have Johnson or Defoe over Nugent. Can people really say they've seen him enough to confidently claim he's better than either of those two? So why should he play ahead of them?

Of course. But I think Johnson 1) is better than Nugent and 2) deserves his place more. So why drop him?

Let's be honest. We'd all rather have Johnson or Defoe over Nugent. Can people really say they've seen him enough to confidently claim he's better than either of those two? So why should he play ahead of them?

Ok Johnson has not had many international caps, to prove himself on the international scene, but i think defoe has. Ideally i would like Johnson and Nugent to play some part of tonight's match if the match is going well

Ok Johnson has not had many international caps, to prove himself on the international scene, but i think defoe has. Ideally i would like Johnson and Nugent to play some part of tonight's match if the match is going well

Well I am very sorry to say it, but for me the match will only be going well if Andorra are winning!

McClaren OUT!!!

Well I am very sorry to say it, but for me the match will only be going well if Andorra are winning!

McClaren OUT!!!

are u english? why do u want england to loose if you are english that is and make it even harder for us to qualify for euro 2008, that does not make sense to me

Fat Frank has fractured his wrist and is out of tonights game. Apparently it was from a Rooney shot in training.

This is the best thing Rooney has done for the national team in a while! :rover:

gazsimm: A defeat would get rid of McClaren for good, a 1-0 england win would pile the pressure on. Nothing short of a goal fest will do the job.

Edited by modes98

are u english? why do u want england to loose if you are english that is and make it even harder for us to qualify for euro 2008, that does not make sense to me

I think his point is that he doesn't think we can ever achieve anything under McClaren, and therefore the best thing for English football will be to see his removal ASAP. I think the only way we will see the back of him before the next world cup (let's face it, the Euros are a very distant second in terms of priority) will be for us to either not qualify for Euro 08 or go out in the group stages. Neither are really desirable.

Could we qualify if we lost tonight and got a new manager who we were happy with? Possibly, but it would be extremely risky. I'd personally rather we win, but I'm extremely doubtful that McClaren can deliver us anything except mediocrity.

Yes I am English and proud of it! My point is that England are never going to qualify under McClaren, and IF we lose this one match against Andorra he will be sacked by public demand. Plus there will still be time and enough matches left to qualify if we get a real manager in charge of the team.

Edited by Fife Rover

Yes I am English and proud of it! My point is that England are never going to qualify under McClaren, and IF we lose this one match against Andorra he will be sacked by public demand. Plus there will still be time and enough matches left to qualify if we get a real manager in charge of the team.

i would rather us play crap and get 3 points that sack him, then we will be all laughing

Play krap against Andorra and get three points?

Nope, that would thoroughly depress me.

It's not just McLaren (although, God knows, he's not helping any. Just what pedigree does he have? Unbelievable.) It's the bl00dy players as well. They just cannot be bothered.

In all likelihood we'll batter Andorra tonight, and we would do playing like World Champs or not. What this game does is give McClaren a stay of execution and also more fodder for the press. We win 8-0, the press say we should have done. A scrappy win and the knives will be out, but McClaren won, the team managed to score, so he'll stay. I want an England win as it's 3 points which will put us closer to the top. Other teams will drop points on the run in. We need as many as we can get.

If the Lampard out story is true and we do win it still won't give McClaren the idea that Lampard should not be in there because of the oppostion. If Rooney scores some will still not be happy as it was done against the part timers. This game came at the wrong time for the ousters, it is a no win situation for all involved. We won't know if McClaren has managed to do something until Russia/Estonia in June.

It was interesting to hear captain patriot John Terry banging the same passion drum as he was last time out saying that he would "play for England for nothing". Did he mention offering his match fee to charity though? That would be a nice gesture wouldn't it?

Lampard Out is the break weve been needing. Two wingers in Downing on the left and Lennon on the right, Gerrard attacking in the centre with Hargreaves holding, is a more balanced team than we have had in a long long time. Rooney should have done this ages ago!

I can see a brilliant england performance, as players are playing where there best, with fast attacking wing play, destroying Andorra by about 5 goals, then next game, no balls Mcclaren will revert to the same team that drew in isreal, infuriating everyone except the FA, who will back him whatever.

How big is your squad Eddie? 25 Players I have 6 Englishmen. Have to agree to disagree about the first 11, England don't have the creative quality of Ribery, Malouda, Govou, Anelka and Henry, the toughness in midfield of Makelele and Veira, the quality of depth in the keeping department or the finishing power of the strikers.

Coupet, Frey, Landreau

Abidal, Thuram, Sagnol, Escude, Silvestre, Gallas, Carragher, Terry, Chimbonda??

Lampard, Gerrard, Viera, Ribery, Makelele, Malouda

Trezeguet, Anelka, Cisse, Rooney, Owen, Henry, Govou

Here is Neekoy again spouting off this anti English crap we had this debate about Spain and England at this rate you’ll be telling us that Craig moore is better tan JT and Cahill better than Gerrard , the problem is not talent it is desire and tactics. How are chimbonda and Escude, Silvestre better than wood gate. Silvestre is one of the worst defenders in the prem. Beckham Lennon and cole are also better than Malouda and are at least on par with Ribery.Then you’ve got cisse in front of a raft of better English forwards the guy is abysmal

Coupet, Frey, Landreau - Is this meant to be a joke? Not 1 English goalie is better than any of them are you for real

In a starting XI based on natural ability alone, you would say that Viera, Henry and Ribery would get into a combined XI and possibly Willy sagnol instead of G Neville. Apart from that, you are letting you’re obvious bias against the English rule your decision making and im not even that bothered about the current overpaid, big tome Charlie lot. You cannot doubt the obvious natural talent there though

We could do a lot worse than Davies (cue tnr dragging back a post from 2 years ago where he suggested it first).

12 months would be nearer I guess bellamy .... and I got criticised roundly on here at the time for suggesting him as the best option for a proper english-style centre forward in the country.

Will be good to see Gerrard and Hargreaves given a go together in the middle. Five days too late but that's McClaren for you.

Why do people keep calling players like David Dunn and Frank Lampard fat when they are obviously nothing of the sort?

I assume it makes them feel better about their little pot bellies :lol:

Will be good to see Gerrard and Hargreaves given a go together in the middle. Five days too late but that's McClaren for you.

Why do people keep calling players like David Dunn and Frank Lampard fat when they are obviously nothing of the sort?

A couple of years too late more like ....but that's McClaren carrying on the Sven mistakes !

Lardy Lampard is better off on the bench .........along with Dumpy Dunn if there's enough room :blink: