BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mclaren

Dyer is an ordinary player in a very ordinary Newcastle team. No way should he be getting a look in ahead of the likes of Bentley.

Where have all the Alan Shearer type strikers gone? Are we all now so obsessed with pace that a big hard horrible centre forward is impossible to find?

Roberts for England?!

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was no surprise to me that I was bang wrong in my predictions of an easy win; that's why I don't gamble.

We beat a team from a country with a population less than Blackburn 3-0, so McClaren storms out of a press conference because he was miffed that the press as having a go. Terry whined that it wasn't fair that the fans barracked the team, and then Hargreaves came out this morning saying that the boss turned into Mr. Motivator at half time to turn it around. Add to this Lampard's bad wrist smokescreen and subsequent stories of him spitting his dummy out and you have the makings of a dysfunctional football team. It's all utter bo!!ocks.

England played badly against a bad team hell bent on winding England up, in bad weather. Gerrard saved his boss's job for a while. Hopefully his performance will finally wake up the powers that be that Lampard is a spent force as a starter. Will the "football people" agree though?

Whatever your personal thoughts of Alex Ferguson are you cannot argue that the bloke is a terrific man manager. He gets the best out of Rooney every week. England get the petulant Scouser; a breed of player we've all enjoyed playing against at some point.

You can't say that he'd be a disaster with conviction. Such a player would at least be an option on the bench. All we've got up front with Crouch out is midgets. To me it's a straight choice between Davies and Crouch for that position in the squad. Replacing Owen with Defoe / Johnson during a match offers nothing different.

I was talking more about him being in the starting eleven. I wouldn't be bothered if he took Crouch's place in the squad to be the man that came in the final 10 minutes if plan A is failing. I agree entirely about the range of substitutes we have at the moment, bringing on Defoe for either striker achieves very little.

BTW Now we've hopefully sidelined Lampard until he gets his arse in gear what the hell does Dyer offer? In the past I've seen occasional flashes from him for Newcastke BUT I have never seen him have a good 90 minute game in his entire career. Has anyone else? He simply has too little to offer the England set up other than a few Geordie bums on seats.

As dislikeable as the little oik is, the last 2-3 displays he's put in for England have been very good imo. Last night (yes I know it was against plumbers), he had 2 very good chances in front of goal which is probably more than Rooney & Johnson had altogether. When he came on at least Dyer looked bothered.

we need someone who can:

A. Mould a team and use decent tactics

B. Motivate players, and tell them to sharpen up, or else they will be a former international (i.e. burst a few egos)

If there is another Brian Clough out there, please make yourself known, as the pathetic excuses for men that wear the white shirt need you. The likes of Pussy Lampard, Cashley 'the wardrobe hermit' Cole and Steven '5 good games a season' Gerrard need to be frightened into playing to the maximum of their potential. They need to know they have to work for their wages, to achieve more than a huge bank balance in order to gain respect and recognition for what they have done. Just because they have the bling, it doesn't mean they are worth £1 or a minute of the public's time. McClaren isn't the right type of person to break down the arrogance of the English players, which is fatal, as he has no tactical skill either. He should go. Now.

P.S. A Bentley should be on the pitch, not in the Wembley car park.

Maclaren is now a dead man walking after that interview. The press will savage him! Musing here..... BUT is it beyond the realms of possibility that Maclaren has been angling for a pay-off in the shortest possible time from day 1? Fantasy? Maybe but it would certainly explain a lot.

I'd say it's more likely he isn't very good. After all it's not like he was any different at The Riverside.

With all these conspiracy theories thenodrog you are starting to turn into our very own version of Oliver Stone. :lol:

Slightly off topic but I was chatting to Andy Johnson today. Told him my son in law and nephew were bluenoses, and a little later he gave signed colour pics, 'Best wishes to Lee' and 'Best wishes to Michael'.

Nice bloke.

Edited by adopted scouser

I've invigilated at his former school-Mark Rutherford Upper. Its a right dump, and the kids were real scrotes.

Princess Francesca Lampard should get a bad wrist for the next game as well, as Gerrard seemed to show flashes of what he can do with him cramping his style.

we got the 3 points we needed, but the performance was crap, Mclaren should resign, he is not getting the best out of the players and should walk away now.

The FA should be ashamed of themselves for selecting him to be the manager of England, he might be a good number 2 but he's never going to be a good manager

Spot on. It's actually quite sad as the man is clearly and comprehensively out of his depth, as every sensible football fan predicted when he was given the job. The real villains are the idiots in charge of the game at Soho Square who made such a hash of replacing Sven and panicked into appointing McClaren.

Look how much pressure Sven was under when he was in charge? more than McClaren as he was foriegn but yet still he didn't do what McClaren did yesterday when he walked away from the press, i'm sorry to say but he hasn't got the balls to handle that pressure and thats only because he's English.

He's just not good enough, he tried to get in to the 'good' books of the media by listening to them by dropping David Beckham and other things. We're going to have some tough times ahead of us soon with him in charge.

The thing is, can the FA even afford to fire him? They are still paying Sven and I think it unlikely that they could pay Sven, McLaren and the next manager (well they could but would probably rather put up with a couple of poor years rather than have to do it). What Mclaren did yesterday by walking out in front of the press showed that he doesn't have the character required to be in such a high profile and high pressure position. He acted like a child who thought that he had somehow proven a point by managing an England team to a victory over Andorra, very sad. It really makes you appreciate the times under SGE and never having to worry about World Cup qualification, though that in itself was not really an achievement (although his record was quite something). The sooner he goes the better and the decisions the FA has made over the past 12-18 months regarding the England team have been laughable. To think that this time last year we were looking forward to our golden nation lifting the world cup and now we are wondering if we can even make it to the European championships.

The FA have paid off Sven.

What they have to assess is the cost of paying off McLaren against the drops in revenues that they will recive from their major sponsors if England do not qualify for Euro 2008. Those losses will dwarf the cost of getting rid of McLaren, so financially it is a no brainer.

I think I read that it would cost £2.5m to sack McClaren (not bad for doing a rubbish job) and the loss in revenue from not qualifying would be £100m+ so on the money front it's no contest.

On a separate topic, there has been a lot of critisism for England, but if you look at the other qualifying groups some of the other big teams are doing equally as bad - France 3rd, Italy 4th,Spain 3rd, Norway 4th, Denmark 4th - so I suppose it's not just England players underperforming.

Slightly off topic but I was chatting to Andy Johnson today. Told him my son in law and nephew were bluenoses, and a little later he gave signed colour pics, 'Best wishes to Lee' and 'Best wishes to Michael'.

Nice bloke.

did he trip over the pen lid and do 3 summersalts as well :P

The thing is, can the FA even afford to fire him?

Points...

1. How long is Maclarens contract and how much is it worth in remuneration?

2. If the answer to either is very long or very much the the FA are absloute fools and have learned nothing from the Sven fiasco. Is it not worth considering that ANY (English) manager worth employing would accept the England managers job on a performance related basis. Remember it really is supposed to be an honour to manage your own country! I'd do it for nowt AND whilst I do not purport to be any good I could have done as well as Maclaren to date.

btw the press conference last week would more likely have been cut off the air rather than cut short by the manager. :o

Edited by thenodrog

Points...

1. How long is Maclarens contract and how much is it worth in remuneration?

2. If the answer to either is very long or very much the the FA are absloute fools and have learned nothing from the Sven fiasco. Is it not worth considering that ANY (English) manager worth employing would accept the England managers job on a performance related basis. Remember it really is supposed to be an honour to manage your own country! I'd do it for nowt AND whilst I do not purport to be any good I could have done as well as Maclaren to date.

btw the press conference last week would more likely have been cut off the air rather than cut short by the manager. :o

oj said what i saw on sky the other night they said he has a 12 month only clause and not qualifying would equate to 100million pounds in lost sponsor and other revenue.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/6515243.stm

But McClaren told the News of the World: "I won't let some hateful mob drive me out of this job. "I have work to do and I'm not leaving until I've done it. I did not consider walking away - not for a moment."

Judging by the polls that have 80% wanting him out that 'hate filled mob' is about 45 million strong! :wstu:

Edited by thenodrog

McClaren was on a sticky wicket as soon as he was appointed. He was 3rd or 4th choice, the fans didn't want him, and his managerial record screamed mediocrity. When you have one of Europe's brightest coaches (Hiddink), and a World Cup winning coach (Scolari) both being linked, and then saying no, a manager whose club has been bumbling around in 14th/15th place for years seems a real let down. The only way he could have succeeded was to win every game, and make the players play with a panache and style hiterto unrealised. The players have played a part in this mess, as they are too busy with their flash cars and exrutiating autobiographies to try and develop their game, and improve themselves. But the manager should always have the ability to shake that out of their players.