BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Greyhound

Bought a greyhound with some friends last month and it's his first race at Belle Vue this Friday. Very much looking forward to it and although we're hardly going to be able to retire off the prize money it is still pretty exciting.

Just wondered if anyone had ever owned (or still does own) one and what their experiences of it were/are.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandad raced greyhounds and he bred and owned Red Shadow back in the day.

My Grandad used to race greyhounds as well. It was hopeless, they'd win everytime, they were just too quick for him. Mind you he was 78.

My Grandad used to race greyhounds as well. It was hopeless, they'd win everytime, they were just too quick for him. Mind you he was 78.

:lol:

The dog's called Ashanti Prince and he's running in the 8:35 at Belle Vue tonight.

Can't see it winning tonight but will have to back it anyway just in case. For anyone interested in going it's free admission on every race night during the World Cup.

Dog came 2nd and lost by 1 1/2 lengths.

He was second to 1st bend and then ran very wide losing about 5 lengths to the leader, closed up to within 2 lengths on the back straight, ran wide again and lost another couple of lengths and came back in the final straight to 1 1/2. Front two finished well clear of the rest which is a good sign.

Ran a good time of 28.82 and there appears to be plenty of improvement in him yet. Hopefully he'll stay fit and we can win a couple of races with him.

Great night as well, would recommend it to anyone.

We went to watch greyhound racing in Coventry for my birthday this year. It was a cracking night out. We had a meal whilst watching the races and someone came to our table to take all our bets.

Didnt win on a single race all night :( but that didnt really matter as it was a laugh. Would certainly recommend it. We are planning to do it again soon.

I own a Golden Retriver, not much of a race dog though.. :D

Me too Krislu. Nine years old he is now and mad as a box of frogs but what a handsome devil.

Ashanti Prince ran last Thursday and came 2nd again, this time by a neck. I just hope he hasn't got seconditis and he can break his duck soon.

Edited by LDRover

I own a Golden Retriver, not much of a race dog though.. :D

Me too Krislu. Nine years old he is now and mad as a box of frogs but what a handsome devil.

Ashanti Prince ran last Thursday and came 2nd again, this time by a neck. I just hope he hasn't got seconditis and he can break his duck soon.

i have similar too, a 2 year old golden lab, pedegree too.

best mate :)

What the prize money like with the Dogs?

Not good unless you own a top class one. For instance our dog will win the princely sum of £67 on Thursday if he gets his head in front but we get £22 just for him running.

Conversely the great Westmead Hawk (sadly injured and ran his last race last night) won 100k for winning the Derby this year.

At the end of the day we're in it for the fun and we've already had two great nights on the back of it.

At the end of the day we're in it for the fun and we've already had two great nights on the back of it.

I didn`t know you could ride them as well! Wow! I`m getting one! :tu:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.