BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] O'Neill Accepts Villa Post

Very interesting. He apparently turned down many of the top jobs in England over the last couple of years and now decides that he is ready for a comeback. So he goes to Villa. Do they have a Russian billionaire lined up? Is Sven Eriksson splashing some of his FA booty on the Villains?

I'm sure this saga is just beginning.

Bad news for us, especially if American's supposition is true.

I'm not going to call Villa a sleeping giant, but they've been underachieving for quite some time. With an average of 36,000 in fans providing the revenue, a new ownership group willing to spend more of that on the squad, and a very good manager in O'Neill who knows how to use that money to best advantage -- things are certainly looking up for them.

How much of that are they willing to 'play with' on Villa. I mean, apart from maybe extra recognition for their other business', they wont be making any profits from Villa will they?

In the short-term It will be good for Villa if they do actually spend more than they did under Doug(altough they did actually spend more than most Villa fans will tell you) and they will have a very good manager. Which if he does well, could means Hughes falls down the pecking order as Man Yoo's next boss

reported joint consortium valued at 100 million makes it a big one IMo

Hmm, I know it sounds a hell of a lot of money to us guys, but in Premiership football it probably isn't anything too amazing. I remember in 1998, Blackburn Rovers were valued at £36m. My guess is that figure has risen to somewhere around the £45m mark.

I don't know how much these guys are actually buying Aston Villa for, but I have doubts whether their financial clout is anywhere near Gaydamak's at Portsmouth, never mind Abramovich's billions at Chelsea.

I have a bad bad feeling about this.

If Villa get up there then thats all the european spots gone. Your talking about 7th or 8th being the place to fight for which is not exciting!

Pompey seem unable to get any players in however villa can easily attract big names with their central location. :rolleyes:

We need a Billionaire!

I may be playing the devil's advocate here, but what is this thing that everyone seems to have about MO'N as a manager?

Played under Clough and won a couple of European Cup finals and the league (which is nice)

Did some good things with Wycombe Wanderers as manager, not bad, but hardly Bill Paisley.

Got Leicester City promoted to the premiership, OK, fair enough, but hardly awe inspiring.

Won a few titles with Celtic. In a two-horse race not too much of a challenge.

I reckon that if he has managerial talent then he'll be able to do something with Villa, but I think he's still to prove himself at this level.

Let's see how he goes, the cold & clammy hand of Deadly Doug Ellis could yet take it's toll.

I have a bad bad feeling about this.

If Villa get up there then thats all the european spots gone. Your talking about 7th or 8th being the place to fight for which is not exciting!

Pompey seem unable to get any players in however villa can easily attract big names with their central location. :rolleyes:

We need a Billionaire!

They are too far from Wales to attract the real talent.

I may be playing the devil's advocate here, but what is this thing that everyone seems to have about MO'N as a manager?

Played under Clough and won a couple of European Cup finals and the league (which is nice)

Did some good things with Wycombe Wanderers as manager, not bad, but hardly Bill Paisley.

Got Leicester City promoted to the premiership, OK, fair enough, but hardly awe inspiring.

I reckon that if he has managerial talent then he'll be able to do something with Villa, but I think he's still to prove himself at this level.

Let's see how he goes, the cold & clammy hand of Deadly Doug Ellis could yet take it's toll.

i wanted him for england but probly not a bad summary ,even if im redstriped

Villa are "worth" around £60m but if you take the 2007/8 onwards TV deal into account, that rises to £100m ish less a discount of whatever percentage you want to give it for risk of relegation in any of the coming seasons.

From what I've been reading, my guess is this management appointment is Deadly Doug's even though at least one of the bidding consortia have been talking about MO'N as a potential Manager for them.

It could be a sale deal has been done. However, two of the consortia talking about merging their bids smells of Doug being very successful in playing the competing bids off against one another.

A deal with an investor might have already been done.

More likely DD has worked out:

1) He needs a good Manager as opposed to O'Dreary's dead hand to boost the team.

2) A good Manager boosts the stock market value pushing the price up.

3) The likely price increase gives him bankable borrowing power.

4) From within Villa's own resources, he can find an additional £20m or so transfer funds and recurring £5m+ wages.

5) That war chest was enough to attract MO'N to the only significant football club anywhere near his home base.

DD always doubles the price whenever he's on the verge of "selling". The buying consortia haven't been moaning loudly enough about DD yet to signify that any of them have got close to buying. DD has driven away the one group with local cred- Nicholls. He's now poison pilled the Atholle Still/Sven consortium and Lerner from the States has been told he can only invest on DD's terms which surprisingly leaves DD in sole control.

Anyone buying Villa has literally got to play dead man's shoes- get into a position where a grab is possible when DD has left for claret and blue heaven.

Irrespective of whether DD is selling or not, the Villa sleeping giant is stirring and has a credible manager with £20m in his back pocket to be spent in the next 29 days.

It is bad news for Rovers.

It quite probably is terrible news for Celtic.

Edited by philipl

I agree 100%, he hasn't done anything of note yet. As it stands, Souness has achieved more and you never saw him being touted for the Mancs.

He took the Celtic dead beats to a UEFA Cup Final where he had the misfortune of facing Benni McCarthy or "the special one's Porto" depending on your point of view.

Villa were already giving Roy Aitken a dead cat bounce in the friendly games being so glad to see the back of O'Leary.

O'Neill is not inept even if you don't think he's a bit good (and I think he is very good) so Villa go straight into my list of potential Cup challengers/ UEFA place competitors which looks more substantial than last season's.

Best hope is that jim is on a wind up.

Martin O'Neill may not be as tactically astute as Jose Mourinho (although he still 'out-tacticked' Souey in the UEFA cup) or as percipient in the transfer market as Arsene Wenger, but he is a fantastic motivator.

You only had to see him as a World Cup pundit to see that he's a spiky individual not to be messed with but at the same time straight-forward. His record at Leicester, with an ordinary team, was very good.

Better times for Villa, I suspect. Even if Doug keeps the cheque-book firmly closed. Excellent times, if he's persuaded to open it.

Edited by rover6

on a slightly related note - I drove past Deadly Doug this morning (his Rolls Royce's reg is AV1) I flashed my lights and waved and he waved back, unfortuantely he then almost hit a car that pulled out of hte junction in front of him. oops :)

He took the Celtic dead beats to a UEFA Cup Final where he had the misfortune of facing Benni McCarthy or "the special one's Porto" depending on your point of view.

Villa were already giving Roy Aitken a dead cat bounce in the friendly games being so glad to see the back of O'Leary.

O'Neill is not inept even if you don't think he's a bit good (and I think he is very good) so Villa go straight into my list of potential Cup challengers/ UEFA place competitors which looks more substantial than last season's.

Best hope is that jim is on a wind up.

And O'Leary took Leeds to the semi's of the Champions League, and he did bugger all

O'Neill is not inept but all this talk of euro challengers is a bit rich, motivator or not, if you are not tactically sound you will eventually get found out

on a slightly related note - I drove past Deadly Doug this morning (his Rolls Royce's reg is AV1) I flashed my lights and waved and he waved back, unfortuantely he then almost hit a car that pulled out of hte junction in front of him. oops :)

Flopsy, do you realise how close you came to becoming a Villa legend?

And O'Leary took Leeds to the semi's of the Champions League, and he did bugger all

O'Neill is not inept but all this talk of euro challengers is a bit rich, motivator or not, if you are not tactically sound you will eventually get found out

He also plays ###### football. Bet he'll sign a big man up front for Villa soon.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.