BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] My Mega Drive (old Console Nostalgia Thread)

I had unpacked my Mega Drive, and have spent some time playing the old games, and these things struck me:

1. Pete Sampras Tennis is fantastic

2. FIFA '95 and the J-League game I got have not stood the test of time, nor has Virtua Racing.

3. Muhammed Ali boxing is also great.

4. I have loads of cheapo, obscure games that were probably illegally made (e.g Fighting Masters).

5. Surprisingly the graphics didn't burn a hole in my retinas).

6. Sonic 2 is not a bad game.

Has anyone else kept hold of a console for years, and then started playing it when an opportunity arises?

Got out a super nintendo a little bit back and was amazed at how I had ever managed to play games with so few buttons and options. Good fun for a bit, but the novelty soon faded and I don't think it will appear again for a few years.

Ask Cocker-he loves this stuff :blink:

My Megadrive is permanantly installed onto my bedroom telly, most weekends when the breadknife is cooking, cleaning, washing ironing I play Sensible Soccer in my pyjamas. Every so often I bang on the floor, which means BRING MORE TEA UP.

And PGA Tour Golf, NHLPA Hockey-they're ace too.

Ask Cocker-he loves this stuff :blink:

:lol: I do indeed .

I remember my sega gear megadrive sitting on top of the mega cd with the 32x plugged into the top of it (though the pic below is the yank one I think - sega genesis):-

IPB Image

The same setup but using the megadrive II looked awful though.

Edited by Cocker

I got all the emulators but for some reason i really dont enjoy these games as much as i did/should.

I think it's because with so many games at your disposel the moment you get stuck/die you switch it off and play something else.

I think it may be down to being spoilt for choice.

I.E.When i was a kid you got say one game a month so because you had little else to play you percevierd(sp) with that game.But now like i said you are spoilt for choice so you tend to loose intrest pretty quick.

The worst game I have played (but for some reason would sit playing for hours) was night trap on the mega cd.

It was a film that would just play and was set in a house. You would have security cameras in the house and could flick round each room. At certain times these blokes would sneak into a room and try and kill/take away the Dawsons Creek type yanks that would wander around the gaff. When you saw this happen you would have to hammer one of the buttons as if you were playing track and field until a trap was sprung and you would get him. This as you can tell was very boring but I ended up playing so much that I knew exactly what time these blokes would be in what room and could get all of em.

Good or Bad, it kept me occupied at the time ;)

Has anyone else kept hold of a console for years, and then started playing it when an opportunity arises?

Yep, dug out my old SNES a few months at home to play Super Mario World & Starfox/wing. 2 superb games, even though they've aged the best part of a decade.

Snowboard Kids on the N64 was an old favourite too. Don't get me started on Goldeneye......... :tu:

I have a Megadrive emulator and play whenever I feel a bout of nostalgia. I still love the Sonic games and the second Ecco the Dolphin game is another goodie. I'm not sure if its because I played the second one more as a young 'un, but the first one is impossible! From about the second or third level onwards (out of about twenty-five!) its banging your head off the monitor material. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have Sensible Soccer as well, and it is a pretty good game, except that on the normal or hard setting only 3 players can shoot, and you can't seem to be able to stick them all up front.

It's disconnected at the moment, as I can't be arsed to rearrange all the cables for ariels, DVDs etc to get it up and running.

• 4 months later...
Just found out that my 17 year old gameboy still works! Great. It is one of the old, grey bricks and I'm chuffed. In fact it is so old it is yellowing slightly round the corners. And it has a USB 2.0 connection point which I have never noticed before.

Get it on the shelf next to the bog where it belongs - make sure a padded seat is installed first though

I can't believe I hadn't seen this thread until now! One day I will have to list all of the Super Nintendo and Gameboy games (have a Super Gameboy adapter, so use my SNES to play those games) I have in boxes under my bed. It's brilliant stuff which I still like to play from time to time.

This inspired me to check out my original Game Boy as well and it still plays Tetris - albeit with one column of dead pixels. I've got Game Boys all over the house – two or three colour ones, an Advance, a couple of SPs, couple of Micros. The camera and printer for the colour GB are still brilliant.

When i was back home at christmas there my brother had found my old sega game gear! It was great sitting on the bog for ages playing sonic, dizzy, streets of rage, and some krusty the clown game!!

streets of rage was class at the time!!!

Might pop down this shop in Bridlington to see if they have any gameboy games today. It looks a good little shop as it has sun bleached NES and Mega Drive boxes. They might even have that golf game that was fantastic, even if I was sh_t at it.

On a related topic, if you are heading towards the far East, go on Singapore Airlines. They are good, and they have Gameboy Colour games you can play on the little screen in the back of the chairs.

• 1 year later...

Just felt like reviving this thread. Has anyone played Virtua Racing in the last year or two? It's amazing how crap the graphics look now, and then think how high tech it was at the time. I seem to remember it was sold for £60-70 over here :o. Good thing I lived in Hong Kong where it was about half that at the time. God bless Sham Sui Po and its Golden Arcade. Even if it was probably a hive of computer piracy!

Just felt like reviving this thread. Has anyone played Virtua Racing in the last year or two? It's amazing how crap the graphics look now

On that subject - I remember going to the arcades in Blackpool and drooling over the graphics of the likes of "Hard Drivin'", "Roadblasters" and "Afterburner". Amazing how things have changed (and you used to be able to buy a cup of tea for 5p (coffee 10p) in Funland) Anyone else used to get taken to Blackpool on a Sunday by their folks and dumped in the arcades while they went to the market?

Still the one that I still hold dear is Tekken World Cup (with the roller balls?) many a 20 pee went into this and many a blister on my hand as a result.

Best Arcade games for me?

1. Tekken World Cup

2. APB

3. Kick and Run

Console wise I've got to go for NHL 94/95 on the Megadrive.

Earthworm Jim was a good game for the mega drive. I was also responsible for my cousin being so good at fighting games, as I played Street Fighter II Super Nuclear crap yourself version with him when he was about 2. He just hammered the punch and kick buttons whilst my uncle used the movement buttons. I was beaten every time, because I was crap, and every time you got near him, you'd be smashed by a million fists and feet. I didn't even get that close when I next played Tekken II on the PS1.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.