BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolverhampton, Here We Come

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still have a lot of admiration for Souness, despite a concerted campaign by many on this message board to devalue his time here. I don't claim he didn't lose his way a little towards the end, but he still had enough nouse to avoid the drop.

If he pulls this off, I would be worried. I believe he has the hard-nosed attitude to take them to a similar status to Rovers. i.e. IMO, a mid-tier Premiership side. A rational look at his career will reveal that he is a winner (playing and to a lesser degree, in management. Winning the League Cup, especially in that season, should not be devalued as much as some on here have done).

I still have a lot of admiration for Souness, despite a concerted campaign by many on this message board to devalue his time here. I don't claim he didn't lose his way a little towards the end, but he still had enough nouse to avoid the drop.

If he pulls this off, I would be worried. I believe he has the hard-nosed attitude to take them to a similar status to Rovers. i.e. IMO, a mid-tier Premiership side. A rational look at his career will reveal that he is a winner (playing and to a lesser degree, in management. Winning the League Cup, especially in that season, should not be devalued as much as some on here have done).

I agree - he has an exceptional pedigree in turning round an under-perfoming club in the championship. Wolves had had a string of managers who haven't got the job done, and I would predict that Souness would buck that trend and get them up.

Alan Nixon has just been on the radio saying Souey is "desperate" to but Wolves.

You would have thought there were easier and cheaper ways to get Boersma and Dean Saunders jobs.

And Wolves destroyed.

No coincidence that since Newcastle he hasn't had a sniff at a job. Outdated management techniques, outdated methods, outdated manager.

Doesn't Souness have some share-holding in an 'agent's company.

He would be raking in tidy profits from this business, as well as his pay-off from Newcastle and wages over his managerial and playing days. He built a mansion about 4 years ago in Cheshire for and it's estimation worth was £1.5million and can you imagine what it's worth is now??

If he does buy a club, he will link this agent business into it, which push their profile a bit more and in return net them more revenue.

And Wolves destroyed.

No coincidence that since Newcastle he hasn't had a sniff at a job. Outdated management techniques, outdated methods, outdated manager.

Yeah, he destroyed Rovers. Only left us with such terrible players as Brad, Tugay, MGP, Reid, Neil, Emerton with no chance to succeed. Hate the fact he only got us into Europe twice, too.

Yeah, he destroyed Rovers. Only left us with such terrible players as Brad, Tugay, MGP, Reid, Neil, Emerton with no chance to succeed. Hate the fact he only got us into Europe twice, too.

I thought he got us into Europe on one occasion? Not that it is anything to sneeze at mind you.

Outdated management techniques, outdated methods, outdated manager.

Since I haven't experienced his management techniques, sat in on one of his team talks or worked for him in any capacity myself, could you please elaborate for me?

Since I haven't experienced his management techniques, sat in on one of his team talks or worked for him in any capacity myself, could you please elaborate for me?

Management technique- fall out with any player potentially more popular than you. Play personal favourites even if they're not very good. Play players out of position.

training method- play five a side at the pace of a 50+ year old so that the players get fat and unfit.

You never saw any of the programmes when Newcastle were in trouble or went to any later Rovers games I take it.

I thought he got us into Europe on one occasion? Not that it is anything to sneeze at mind you.

2002: League Cup

2003: Finished 6th

Both from beating Spurs.

My 2p: Souness did a good job overall but cocked up massively towards the end. Suspect training methods (we and later the Barcodes picked up a lot of injuries in training); woeful man management (alienating Dunn and Cole for us, Bellamy for the Geordies) and some comedy transfers (too many to mention) but promotion, the League Cup and a 6th place finish made 3 good seasons.

I'll never forgive him for losing us Cole, though.

Simon :brfc:

twice, worthington cup and finishing 6th.

if he quit rovers after finishing 6th, many rovers fans would have different opinions about him.

his 1st 3 seasons were successful, but he messed on his own doorstep, after that.

his main Achilles heal is his stubbornness, along with his agent pals and refusal to recognise that his training and man management methods are outdated, by about 25years.

hated it when he got us promotion ...couldnt handle the dingle routs and as for winning the cup ...think we should stab him to death as has been mentioned by someone on here

hated it when he got us promotion ...couldnt handle the dingle routs and as for winning the cup ...think we should stab him to death as has been mentioned by someone on here

Seriously ABBEY? Someone mentioned that? Unbelievable :o

The football we played under Souey until Duff, Dunn and Jansen left was a pleasure to watch. Once they had gone and he lost it himself we were a disgrace. This was epitomised in the Bournmouth Carling Cup game just as Hughes took over. Johannsen was so out of shape it was embarrassing and our players were pulling up with cramp all over the park. There's no way Souey would have kept us up that season, he had truly lost it...

2002: League Cup

2003: Finished 6th

Souness did a good job overall but cocked up massively towards the end. Simon :brfc:

I think Souness was overall successful as manager of Blackburn. I can't understand how people wholeheartedly say he was rubbish and wrecked our club and great to see the back of him.

I will argue my point that of course he got us into Europe twice, won us our first major honour in decades, but most importantly got us promoted from the old 1st division. He also went onto save Dunn and Duffer, when he arrived at the club and would have netted Rovers a palty £1.75 - 2 million at the time. He worked around both of those players before signing one of our best keepers ever, Friedel plus other notable signings in Cole, Pedersen, Todd, Stead as well as bringing in McEveley, Taylor and Gallagher into the senior set-up.

Of course he made a few blunders and was began to loose his man-management skills that he had. Bad signings in Grabbi, Amoruso, Matteo, Yorke amounted to his downfall towards the end and had to jump ship.

I will always be grateful for his time at the club and he signed off in the best possible manner, netting Rovers a nice wee compensation package!

Archived