BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Formula 1

Formula 1 is back, and what a great start from Lewis Hamilton.I's just good to see a new British prospect doing so well, and living up to the high expectations.

Lets just hope he can win the Formula 1 championship for Britain.He's not short of confidence, and for one so young he's got a good head on his shoulders.

I think this is going to be one of the best Formula 1 seasons in years..

Come on Lewis, I'm sure we're all behind you, and all the other British drivers too.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Formula 1 is back, and what a great start from Lewis Hamilton.I's just good to see a new British prospect doing so well, and living up to the high expectations.

Lets just hope he can win the Formula 1 championship for Britain.He's not short of confidence, and for one so young he's got a good head on his shoulders.

I think this is going to be one of the best Formula 1 seasons in years..

Come on Lewis, I'm sure we're all behind you, and all the other British drivers too.

Great start but it's hard to beat Ferrari's sheer speed. You have to be so much better to overcome them.

Great start but it's hard to beat Ferrari's sheer speed. You have to be so much better to overcome them.

Tel you the truth , I love Ferrari,but I've a feeling that Alonso and Hamilton can run them close this season.

Saying that Kimi Raikkonen looks in a class of his own,but he did upset a lot of supporters when he refused to sign autographs.

It was nice to see the Minouge sisters ,loving every minute of it,but they only eyes for Webber. B)

Ferrari by a country mile this season. McLaren will win a few GP's this year, but they will do better in 2008.

By then, Lewis will have a full season under his belt and his fight versus Alonso could be reminiscent of the Prost-Senna days. Interesting times ahead.

Poor Jensen Button :lol:

Ferrari by a country mile this season. McLaren will win a few GP's this year, but they will do better in 2008.

By then, Lewis will have a full season under his belt and his fight versus Alonso could be reminiscent of the Prost-Senna days. Interesting times ahead.

Poor Jensen Button :lol:

I think Raikkonen is carrying on from where Shumacher left off.Winning on his debut for Ferrari,and way ahead of the rest.

It felt strange without Michael Schumacher in the race,but his brothers still there.

Poor Coulthard,as well,him and Wurz were very lucky, that crash could have been a lot more serious.

I can't wait for the next race in Malayasia.

B)_42695977_kimiwave416.jpg

Hamilton did well but anyone with a bit of something about him should have been able to come 3rd in that car. He did have a fantastic start though.

I can't be doing with all this jingoism about British drivers. The hype that went with Button was ridiculous and look at him now. And as for one of the biggest tossers the world of sport has ever seen - Mansell - the least said the better.

The press are gonna hype Hamilton up like they did Button, the thing is thlough I think Hamilton has the ability to do well this season he is in a very good car, as for the world title he has plenty of years to win that.

Mansell was a fantastic driver a world champion at Formula 1 then went to the states and won Indy car in his first season, I think he would have won another F1 title if he had stayed in F1 but he was forced out by Frank Williams for some reason , the same happened to Damien Hill , he won the world title and then was forced out by Williams.

Frank Williams has a reputation of not putting up with egos, even if they are world champions. Nobody is bigger than the team to Frank. They both wanted extremely large payrises for being world champion as well.

I personally detested Mansell, in fact I probably hate him more than any other sportsman or woman. He was the biggest whining moaning git that has ever lived (ask anyone working for Williams or Ferrari around that time about his reputation) Nothing was ever his fault when things went wrong, always completely down to him when he won. I used to love watching him hitting the steering wheel like a spoilt baby when he broke down. Funniest thing going was his wheel nut falling off in Hungary (can't remember the year) as he was showing off and waiving to the crowd on his last lap.

He was/is a stupid thick pillock with an unbelievabley annoying voice and I always wanted to rip his stupid mustache of his fat face. He was a special constable, lived as a tax exile whilst trying to claim to be the people's champion.

He had to abort his come back in the Maclaren because he was too f****** lazy to loose some bloody weight so he could fit in his car. People have a go at Dunny, he earns a bit of pocket money compared to how much Mansell was on then.

And I almost forgot - he wasn't very good.

And I'm afraid comparing indy cars and F1 is like comparing premier league to non league football. I believe almost any experienced F1 driver is better than any driver in the states. You have to go back a long long time to find anyone that has succeeded in F1 from any American series. Last I can think of is Mario Andretti. And for more evidence look how his fat son, Michael, did in F1.

i haven't watched F1 for many years. because i think it is too predictable and boring. however, on sunday when when a young english lad was racing i thought i would give it a go again and i really enjoyed it, especially watching one of our own up with the worlds best.

Thats exactly how i felt, i thought Formula 1 had got tedious,but it's looking exciting again.I actually stopped up till 5 am to watch it.

The one British driver that I never liked , was James Hunt.He always came across as an arrogant snob.

Frank Williams has a reputation of not putting up with egos, even if they are world champions. Nobody is bigger than the team to Frank. They both wanted extremely large payrises for being world champion as well.

I personally detested Mansell, in fact I probably hate him more than any other sportsman or woman. He was the biggest whining moaning git that has ever lived (ask anyone working for Williams or Ferrari around that time about his reputation) Nothing was ever his fault when things went wrong, always completely down to him when he won. I used to love watching him hitting the steering wheel like a spoilt baby when he broke down. Funniest thing going was his wheel nut falling off in Hungary (can't remember the year) as he was showing off and waiving to the crowd on his last lap.

He was/is a stupid thick pillock with an unbelievabley annoying voice and I always wanted to rip his stupid mustache of his fat face. He was a special constable, lived as a tax exile whilst trying to claim to be the people's champion.

He had to abort his come back in the Maclaren because he was too f****** lazy to loose some bloody weight so he could fit in his car. People have a go at Dunny, he earns a bit of pocket money compared to how much Mansell was on then.

And I almost forgot - he wasn't very good.

Back to back F1 and Indycar champion. Not very good?

Now i can understand you calling him a moaner, he was. However, he was blindingly fast and could light up any race.

Oh and by the way, the last lap incident when he was waving to the crowd was in Canada and his wheel nut did not fall off, that was another occasion. His retirement in Canada is still a bit of a mystery with several theories.

Oh and Maclaren is Mclaren

I spoke to Murray Walker about Mansell and of all the years he commentated he said his favourite era was the Mansell, Senna, Piquet, Prost and the outgoing Rosberg one. Five eventual world champions on track not giving an inch. Them were the days.

Back to back F1 and Indycar champion. Not very good?

Now i can understand you calling him a moaner, he was. However, he was blindingly fast and could light up any race.

Oh and by the way, the last lap incident when he was waving to the crowd was in Canada and his wheel nut did not fall off, that was another occasion. His retirement in Canada is still a bit of a mystery with several theories.

Oh and Maclaren is Mclaren

I spoke to Murray Walker about Mansell and of all the years he commentated he said his favourite era was the Mansell, Senna, Piquet, Prost and the outgoing Rosberg one. Five eventual world champions on track not giving an inch. Them were the days.

Maybe "not very good" was using a little over emphasis but for all the hype and one world championship isn't a very good return. And I still do not rate American racing on 4 wheels at all.

I stand corrected on Canada and my spelling (pedant) but another funny on was the tyre blow out in Oz, last race of the season handing title to Prost (I think)

I do fully agree about the most sxciting era though. Absolutely bloody fantastic. I saw Rosberg do the fastest ever lap at SIlverstone before they changed the track, 160mph+ average on a slightly damp track, amazing. Senna for me was the best of all time and his battles with Prost when both in a Mclaren were unbelievable. Best lap of all time Donnington, European GP, in the rain, first lap. I also believe Schumacher, who I also hate with a passion, for being so dull and a cheat, wouldn't ahve won half as much if Senna had lived

Oohh.. this thread has certainly spiced up!

The theory behind Mansell at the Canadian GP was that he was showboating to such an extreme (ie driving so slowly) that the engine compute defaulted to 'pit mode' or something and jammed him in 1st gear. Nelson Piquet said it was one of the sweetest victories of his career and that he 'almost came' when he passed Mansell!

I grew up a Prost fan from '86 onwards. His battles against Senna in identical machinery in 88-89, and in the Ferrari in '90 were IMO the pinnacle of the 'sport'.. although at time it almost resembled a war. A shame that Senna died, as he and Prost had just started to become friends after Prost's retirement, the sport wasn't big enough for the both of them.

I never rated Schuey up there with these two greats, partly because of his amazing arrogance (he made Senna look humble), also because of his exceedingly dangerous tactics (he made Senna look safe), and his tendancy to make stupid mistakes in the car right until the end of his career (e.g. Monaco, Hungary, Turkey last season).

A better driver would have won the world championship for Ferrari last year. Schuey had the fastest car by some margin in the 2nd half of last season but failed to capitalise.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never started a thread before and this is only about my third post on ICBINF. any way here goes ........ahem,

FORMULA 1 GP IS DULL AS DITCH WATER AND I WOULD RATHER WATCH THE FIRE GO OUT.

There, I said it.

I am prepared to be educated, is there a point? I have I missed something?

There is only one thing more dull than watching Formula 1, and that is listening to it on the radio!!

Having said that, Sky are currently trying to compete in the battle to show the most boring sports by screening live sailing.

Archived