BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Formula 1

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look, at the end of the day, if you can watch this and not feel a thing... you're beyond help ;)

That's the point though pg, isn't it ?

The clip has sexy camera angles, voice overs and background music, of course it looks good. Watched in real time it's just weeeeeeeooooowwwww as they shoot past one by one.

:huh:

Well actually I fell asleep during the Belgian GP of 2000 as it was screened in Australia at about 1 am.

I never watch the race trackside, its a waste of time. I watch it on TV with live timing off the internet.

But I've watched plenty of races on TV that have also had me on the edge of my seat.

However, if you go to Spa and stand on the edge of Eau Rouge/Radillion I would imagine it would be absolutely breathtaking. The cars do just a bit more than weeoww....

Like I said earlier, go to Silverstone on a Friday and stand near one of the fast corners. I've got video from last year's GP lying around, I'll try and get it on youtube at some point.

Yeah, I've head Le Mans is a must for any motor racing fan.

Did you read Martin Brundle's books on all the circuits he's driven at? Strangely.. for a book that centered on F1, I found the chapter on Le Mans the best.

In Zanardi's defense, he was driving a Lotus at the time. The guy was talented, no doubt about it. I remember watching one of his Indy/CART drives in which he came from way back, passing multiple cars and winning (or placing on the podium, I can't remember that well) with a bent front suspension! The problem with F1 is that you really need to be in one of the 3 top cars to have any chance of making an impression.

Maybe but I remember him coming back to F1 after winning the titles in a season with Williams.

If I'm remembering right the guy scored ZERO points...in a Williams! Zero points for the entire season!

Juan Pablo Montoya also did well in both F1 and Indycar but whereas he was a good but inconsistent driver in F1 in Indycar he suddenly became the best thing since sliced bread.

FFS - ITV cut away from the Malaysian press conference just so we could listen to his dad :rolleyes:

Did we really want to listen to Kimi?

I just hope that ITV don't fawn over Hamilton and his dad the way they used to do so with the Button family.

Anyway PG, whats happening at Renault? Either you've changed your mob number or you are ignoring my 'back to the drawing board' texts :D

This sunday at noon i believe.

As for " whats the point of F! ? "

Whats the point in football?

There are 92 league teams and yet only the same 3 or 4 are realistically capable of winning anything each year. The other 88 are just along for the ride.

Overtaking can be difficult in F1 but its spectacular when it happens. A bit like a 30 yarder in to the top corner. How many miles have you covered to watch 25 grand a week footballers earn a 0-0 draw? The point?

I don`t care whether you are a petrol head or not ( I`m certainly not ), you`ve missed out if you`ve never seen an F1 car go around a 90 degree bend at 160mph. The sound and speed are mind boggling. The tv will never portray this.

Roll on July, got the best seats in the house for Silverstone.

AlanK - I'm trying to get down there for the Friday, will you be around?

Lee - I haven't received any of your derogatory texts.. you must be sending them to the wrong phone :lol:

The story of Renault's demise is quite simple and straightforward.. I'll give you the run down next time I see you.

I was watching a repeat of the Moto GP ( it hink or could be superbikes??) from Donington on Eurosprt the otehr week. That was exciting and im not into superbikes, an overtaking manouvre on the last bend after 5 or 6 laps of give and take excitement.

I just dont feel that I get that excitement from F1 anymore, I used to love it when Hill, Senna, Mansall and Prost were racing, I just cant relate now.

It has become to corporate for my liking.

Lets look at the teams from the 80`s.

Williams..Frank`s team

McLaren..named after Bruce but long looked after by Ron

Tyrell..Ken`s team

Brabham..Jack`s team

Lotus..long looked after by Colin Chapman

Ferrari..still about..long looked after by Enzo himself

Eddie Jordan had a go in the 90`s as did Jackie Stewart

However, lets look at it now.

Button drives for Honda who were BAR who were somebody else and its run by....?

Spyker were Midland who were Jordan and are run by....?

Red Bull / Torro ( 2nd team !?! ) were Sauber ( who were they ? ) or was that BMW? being run by?

My point is that the great names are vanishing very quickly and replaced annually by takeovers by faceless corporate industry manufacturers. Honda, Toyota ( and inching in on Williams ), Mercedes ( will own McLaren if they have their way ) etc.

The problem is that the sport is losing its soul. The manufactures are piling in perverse amounts of money but they have no tradtion, no soul, no history.

But, nevermind the politics, the bullshit, the faceless owners.

These cars still get from 0-100mph and back to 0 in 6 seconds. They still need pilots to shift them and the noise is ridiculous.

Try it. And then come on here and say its boring.

Here here Alan. But its a similar scenario in football (and perhaps many other sports) Money is destroying the soul.

One difference being motor racing has always been a very elitist sport. Still used to cost a lot of money to go motor racing even in the 50s and 60s. Not as much as now but not many working class lads made it to F1 or anywhere near

It has become to corporate for my liking.

Lets look at the teams from the 80`s.

Williams..Frank`s team

McLaren..named after Bruce but long looked after by Ron

Tyrell..Ken`s team

Brabham..Jack`s team

Lotus..long looked after by Colin Chapman

Ferrari..still about..long looked after by Enzo himself

Eddie Jordan had a go in the 90`s as did Jackie Stewart

However, lets look at it now.

Button drives for Honda who were BAR who were somebody else and its run by....?

Spyker were Midland who were Jordan and are run by....?

Red Bull / Torro ( 2nd team !?! ) were Sauber ( who were they ? ) or was that BMW? being run by?

My point is that the great names are vanishing very quickly and replaced annually by takeovers by faceless corporate industry manufacturers. Honda, Toyota ( and inching in on Williams ), Mercedes ( will own McLaren if they have their way ) etc.

The problem is that the sport is losing its soul. The manufactures are piling in perverse amounts of money but they have no tradtion, no soul, no history.

But, nevermind the politics, the bullshit, the faceless owners.

These cars still get from 0-100mph and back to 0 in 6 seconds. They still need pilots to shift them and the noise is ridiculous.

Try it. And then come on here and say its boring.

Sauber are now BMW but Peter Sauber still plays a role with the team.

BAR was British American Racing, the F1 arm of the tobacco comglomerate, they bought Tyrrell F1, now called Honda

Brabham were owned for a long time by Bernie Ecclestone, they went bust spectacularly

Super Aguri (easily the best name for an F1 team) is run by former F1 driver Aguri Suzuki but with a little help from Honda

Red Bull bought the Jaguar team which was previously the Stewart team. Red Bull then bought the Minardi team and called it Torro Rosso

Next year will see Dave Richards return to F1 (he used to be involved with BAR to name just one team) with his ProDrive team.

And then come on here and say its boring.

I've come on here so I'll say it : motor racing is boring.

Formula One was mildly interesting in the days when there were spectacular crashes but it has become so sanitised and safe that the one "exciting" element has been taken away.

My one and only visit to Silverstone was amusing though; 250,000 people and each and every one wearing anoraks.

My one and only visit to Silverstone was amusing though; 250,000 people and each and every one wearing anoraks.

If you were to be praising my fashion I would be worried.

Incidentally, on what one single occasion has Silverstone accomodated 250,000 people?

Maybe over 3 days in the Mansell era. Does that mean you went back the following day? You did, didn`t you!?! Why?

• 2 months later...

Well we are a couple of months on now and the boy Hamilton is obviously a bit special. Or an alien. Or both.

He has just secured another pole position at Indianapolis ahead of team mate, two times and current world champion Alonso.

Silverstone in 3 weeks. Its going to be rammed. Can`t wait.

Archived