BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Ham Fined £5.5m

Bit of a turn up after the media was reporting this morning that all the PL clubs except Wigan, Fulham and Boro had pressed Sheff U to give up,

Rick Parry has given evidence in favour of the Blades explaining why Liverpool didn't sign Tevez and Mascherano in August and what they had to unpick in order to make their Mascherano signing legal in January.

Of course, Parry is former Chief Exec of the Premiership as well so he had a hand in writing the rules when the Prem was formed. His view that the rules he was responsible for drafting had been broken in a way the Panel adjudicating on West Ham had not considered (if that is what he has said) well carry real weight even if the current Prem CEO might see it as interference from beyond the grave.

Ordinarilly I would say the odds heavilly favoured West Ham but they have been behaving in a very crass way given what is at stake. Announcing last night that they would sue if the Prem ruling is over-turned was bad timing to say the least and suggests they are waking up from their spending mid-splurge to the reality that all might not be OK. Here's hoping.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd have no problem with that solution, ...

Maybe this is the ideal solution with a tightening up of the regulations needed to stipulate that any future indiscretions will be punishable by a specific points deduction of three, four, six or ten points, whatever it might be.

I would have a problem with it. The Premier League's authority would be diminished as a 21-team league would be a nonsense clearly designed to placate Sheff Utd whilst not rocking the boat with West Ham. The correct decision would be to relegate West Ham given that Middlesboro were deducted points for not fulfilling a fixture.

It all goes back to the original fudge of not wanting to deduct points at a late stage in the season as it wouldn't be fair on the fans. Well, that was the reason given anyway.

I agree about having specific points penalties, but it wouldn't happen.

I think they'll not change the decision as they won't want an 'Italian' situation developing all summer. By that I mean if Sheffield United won, and Wham were relegated instead, they'd then appeal against the appeal in the High Court or the House of Lords, and it would drag on until the season starts, and then the 21 club Premiership will be rushed in at the last minute, and the fixture list would be rejigged.

Although Wham should have gone down, I feel they'll 'play it safe' and bottle it.

Just found this article on the BBC website

I really cannot see how any other decision than Sheff U. getting re-instated to the Prem can be made. And it can also be argued that any other decision than West Ham getting a points deduction flies in the face of justice also. If that happens it will signal to all clubs that rules can be bent completely out of shape; depending of course which clubs are involved. :ph34r:

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Jun 19 2007, 18:34 ) 520250[/snapback]
I wouldnt be at all surprised if West Ham are fined points for this, but only 2 points thereby keeping them up, and also backing Sheff United claims.

The Premier League have dug a massive hole for themselves with the original flawed and biased judgement. Most of their actions since has worsened the situation. Total guess but I'd suggest that the dirty, scruffy, uncouth, borassic northerners from Sheffield will still be relegated and those precious, good ol, nouveau riche cockney boys the Hammers kept in the Prem BUT that someone high up will have to fall on their sword and resign to satiate the press, media and public's blood lust.

The problem is that every stage of this farce has been riddled mistakes, and continues to be.

They got it wrong by not deducting points in the first place, they got it wrong again by delaying this weeks hearing until after the fixtures were announced, and now they're making it worse by delaying the outcome of the hearing.

Anyone can see why - time for people to forget and move on to other topics, and time for the three man panel to be persuaded to come up with a form of words which doesn't upset the applecart.

It'll be a compensation payment for SU and / or the 2 point penalty which Ste suggests for WH. ie more dilution, more avoiding the issues, and WH free to continue their distortion of the transfer market and no doubt push for the top 6 next season.

:angry:

Yes you are right, so doies Upson if I remember correctly (I wonder if Parker does?).

The delay in publication of the arbitration must be mildly encouraging to Sheff U. Presumably there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes to avoid any afters in terms of appeals etc.

Presumably Rick Parry has effectively said Liverpool were disadvanteged by the original ruling- they wanted Tevez and Mascherano but adjudged the punishment for going in on Joorbachian's terms was not worth it. Parry of course Knew exactly what the rule was meant to achieve having been founding CEO of the Premier League. Then West Ham did the deal and got away with it to allintents and purposes.

West Ham really are very cocky over this whole affair. Statement from WHU:

“West Ham United are and remain a Premiership football club,” it said. “There is no scope for this to be changed by the Premier League’s arbitration panel and West Ham’s status cannot be called into question in relation to next season.

“West Ham were not, and are not, a party to the arbitration and our standing as a Premier League club is not in doubt as a result of the panel’s hearing.

“The club are well advanced in preparing for the new season and taking further steps to strengthen the playing squad over the summer. We will not be deflected from our goal of achieving success in the Premiership next season.”

They're becoming the most hated club in football. I don't remember reading any statement regretting their lying to the FA.

This seems pretty fortunate timing for the Premier League, and if proved true, I guess could lead to the status quo being maintained by both West Ham and Sheffield United losing points I guess?

Premier League probes Kabba deal

Birmingham City (Savage), Manchester United (Howard) also to start with a points deduction?

This to me says that the premier league are showing clear bias and are desperate to pin something on Sheff U; It's time more chairmen made thier postion clear on this one - including our own. After all they are the supposed premier league not that plonker Richard Scudamore who is involved in the W/Ham debacle (why did he not and still hasn't insisted on seeing ALL paperwork related to the Tevez transfer!)

This is a stich up - big time and the quieter other chairmen remain the more I'm convinced that we are looking at a white wash.

This seems pretty fortunate timing for the Premier League, and if proved true, I guess could lead to the status quo being maintained by both West Ham and Sheffield United losing points I guess?

Premier League probes Kabba deal

There was also a look into Howard not being allowed to play vs man utd after he signed for everton but nothing came of that. I doubt it would be serious enough for a points deduction anyway.

Do WHU not realise there status is at threat or are they just that arrogant and reckon they can appeal and make the PL re-think any deduction.

There was also a look into Howard not being allowed to play vs man utd after he signed for everton but nothing came of that. I doubt it would be serious enough for a points deduction anyway.

Do WHU not realise there status is at threat or are they just that arrogant and reckon they can appeal and make the PL re-think any deduction.

They will appeal, my understanding is the arbitration panel will only make recomendations to the premier league. This will drag on well into the start of the new season there by ensuring nothing can come of it.

Sheff U will get a payout, money is one thing the PL do have and a grave injustice will have occured and the rules of the game blurred and biased yet further towards the money clubs.

They will appeal, my understanding is the arbitration panel will only make recomendations to the premier league. This will drag on well into the start of the new season there by ensuring nothing can come of it.

i wonder if trevor brooking is involved in this fiasco ? surely not! :ph34r:

Sheff U will get a payout, money is one thing the PL do have and a grave injustice will have occured and the rules of the game blurred and biased yet further towards the money clubs.

That's just not right :angry:

Money is not the primary concern for Sheff Utd, it's premiership status. No wonder WHU are so cocky a £5.5m fine is nothing to them and they get to stay up and strengthen so even if they get a minimal points deduction next season it won't matter to their survival status.

Assuming the panel recommended that points should be deducted that would result in relegation for WHU, what use is that to Sheff Utd? I doubt the FA will fine WHU the equivalent money and then award it to Sheff Utd.

I don't know why it took them so long to make the decision in the first place and then to make this secondary decision. If they had addressed this when it first came out then it would be done and dusted by now and WHU would be in the championship. :rolleyes:

That's just not right :angry:

Money is not the primary concern for Sheff Utd, it's premiership status. No wonder WHU are so cocky a £5.5m fine is nothing to them and they get to stay up and strengthen so even if they get a minimal points deduction next season it won't matter to their survival status.

I agree. I'm not advocating that paying Sheff U off is right but that will be what happens. They cant be promoted or West Ham relegated on the 18th of September or any other date after the season starts can they?

Lets not get too up our own backsides here; Money is the primary concern to Sheff U even if it is via thier PL status.

Yes and no. Anyway, they probably wouldn't even be awarded the amount of money that they would have recieved had they stayed in the premiership.

That'd be good. West Ham can have their Prem status whilst Sheff Utd can have West Hams 35million. :tu: Should see em swapping places come next May.

Archived