BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Jansen

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I cant believe that he was never able to come back from the accident. I still cant believe it. Shocked.

Now his career is over, cant even get a deal at Carlise.

Fantastic striker, the best since Shearer.

Absolute tripe. Lovely bloke, but Bambi on roller skates for all but about half a season of the time he was with us. The number of times he turned into trouble, tried to spread himself to keep the ball and ended up on his bum are too many to count. Sutton, Cole, Bellamy and McCarthy are all ahead of him in terms of quality (and almost certainly Santa Cruz).

That said, he might have overtaken them if he hadn't been so reckless as to do something which his contract, or indeed simple common sense, forbad him doing. Driving in Rome is the same as driving in Paris. Suicide if you aren't local.

How can you compare the likes of Santa Cruz with Matt Jansen??? Are you mad?

Cruz albeit has been a fantastic aquisition for us so far however his stats of averaging 5 a season while playing in Germany is terrible. Without Matt I truly believe we would not be in the Premiership today

Absolute tripe. Lovely bloke, but Bambi on roller skates for all but about half a season of the time he was with us. The number of times he turned into trouble, tried to spread himself to keep the ball and ended up on his bum are too many to count. Sutton, Cole, Bellamy and McCarthy are all ahead of him in terms of quality (and almost certainly Santa Cruz).

That said, he might have overtaken them if he hadn't been so reckless as to do something which his contract, or indeed simple common sense, forbad him doing. Driving in Rome is the same as driving in Paris. Suicide if you aren't local.

What are you talking about woman, did you watch us in the 00/01 and 01/02 seasons? The man scored the goals to take us back into the premier league and was our top scorer the season after and scored in the cup final. Jansen was absolute class for us from his first game against Spurs to the end of the 2002 season when he had his accident. How can you compare him with Sutton, Cole, Bellamy and McCarty is beyond me when all the mentioned players have completely different styles of play.

The lad made a big mistake one he must regret each day.

How can you compare the likes of Santa Cruz with Matt Jansen??? Are you mad?

Cruz albeit has been a fantastic aquisition for us so far however his stats of averaging 5 a season while playing in Germany is terrible. Without Matt I truly believe we would not be in the Premiership today

Yes, Matt Jansen was a good championship standard player- he scored a lot of goals at that level.

If it wasnt for that damn Moped I think he would have been an England regular

If it wasn't for his stupidity, he wouldn't have been on the moped. You might be right about the England thing, but I think it far more likely that he'd have been one of those Rovers players who get one cap and no more. I just don't think he was consistently good enough to have held down an England spot. He certainly was a class below Bentley.

People tend to have built up this picture of "Saint Matty" which is only possible because he got injured. I remember many games where people round me were calling him for continually losing the ball. He was a good player. He wasn't a great player. He MIGHT have become a great player- I just doubt that.

If it wasn't for his stupidity, he wouldn't have been on the moped. You might be right about the England thing, but I think it far more likely that he'd have been one of those Rovers players who get one cap and no more. I just don't think he was consistently good enough to have held down an England spot. He certainly was a class below Bentley.

Bentley at the moment is in another class to the rest of the squad (Not including Roque Santa Cruz) but so was Pedersen. I just hope he can keep it up. If he does prove to be consistent this season see no reason why Capello wont be lookin in his direction.

He is certainly better that Shaun Wright Phillips IMO despite what Ian Wright says

Terrible post, as someone else has also said.

He was a last minute change of mind away from the 2002 world cup squad, you fool.

He was an exceptionally good striker, his technique and footwork was superb: a joy to watch.

Above all those you have mentioned based on his contribution to Blackburns history. Only Cole deserves to be mentioned in the same sentance as him, in terms on contribution.

He got us out of the fizzy pop league aswell.

Are you even a Rovers fan. When did you start watching us? Like 2004? :blink:

Above all those you have mentioned based on his contribution to Blackburns history. Only Cole deserves to be mentioned in the same sentance as him, in terms on contribution.

I've been watching since '64 if that qualifies me to comment, and I've got to say that if Sutton, Cole, Bellamy, McCarthy and Jansen were all 25 Matty would be my last choice. Seemed a really smashing lad unlike at least two of the above and better looking than the rest put together BUT as far as being a top striker has everyone forgotten how completely one footed he was? His left was a damned good one but top level strikers have to be able to score with both feet as nobody gets the time to change feet very often and defenders soon suss them out and adapt their tactics to nullify any threat.

If it wasnt for that damn Moped I think he would have been an England regular

Wrong! You've put the cart before the horse there. Try this ......... If Matty had been an England regular he would've been a continent and a half away from that damned moped!

It's not often I get incensed by a post on this site , in fact this is a first . If that's your considered opinion then you know nothing about football and probably you never will. When we got back into the Premier League ( no small thanks to the guy you're slagging off) the only thing that kept us in the chase for the first few months was Matt Jansen, no lost cause was too lost, no aimless ball into the channel was too aimless, the guy worked his socks off to keep us in contention. As time went by he got better and better until he was knocking loudly on the door of the World Cup squad , as we now know fate conspired to prevent this and the events in Rome brought a bright career to an end.

Your purile twitterings do both Matt and yourself ( I hope) a dis-service, if I were you I would be considering some form of retraction.

I've been watching since '64 if that qualifies me to comment, and I've got to say that if Sutton, Cole, Bellamy, McCarthy and Jansen were all 25 Matty would be my last choice. Seemed a really smashing lad unlike at least two of the above and better looking than the rest put together BUT as far as being a top striker has everyone forgotten how completely one footed he was? His left was a damned good one but top level strikers have to be able to score with both feet as nobody gets the time to change feet very often and defenders soon suss them out and adapt their tactics to nullify any threat.

Agree. Twice in one day- that's a record Theno

It's not often I get incensed by a post on this site , in fact this is a first . If that's your considered opinion then you know nothing about football and probably you never will. When we got back into the Premier League ( no small thanks to the guy you're slagging off) the only thing that kept us in the chase for the first few months was Matt Jansen, no lost cause was too lost, no aimless ball into the channel was too aimless, the guy worked his socks off to keep us in contention. As time went by he got better and better until he was knocking loudly on the door of the World Cup squad , as we now know fate conspired to prevent this and the events in Rome brought a bright career to an end.

Your purile twitterings do both Matt and yourself ( I hope) a dis-service, if I were you I would be considering some form of retraction.

I understand your ire to an extent Tyrone but lets face it just who the hell could fail to score goals a'plenty in that Division with the combined and extravagent talents of Duff, Dunn and Berkovitz supplying the ammo? :rolleyes:

Oh and as far as working his socks off up front for BRFC ........ Ashley Ward did that too. ^_^

Jansen shall always be (along with Duff and Crig Short) the only reason why we are actually in the premiership. Without Mattys fine striking form in the Championship I think we would have struggles to make te play offs.

The guy is a legend.

Jansen shall always be (along with Duff and Crig Short) the only reason why we are actually in the premiership. Without Mattys fine striking form in the Championship I think we would have struggles to make te play offs.

The guy is a legend.

Disagree Duff was of course a precotious talent but imo Berko was simply unplayable in that Div. Dont forget also the contributions of the likes of Brad, Henning, Macateer and Flitty either. Prem quality players the lot of them. Rem Stan Ternant rhyming the names of the entire team off to the TV after the match? His Ferrari's and Mini's comment will last forever in my memory?

Absolute nonsense. We weren't in contention for the first half of that season. We were hovering around relegation. Then came Andy Cole, who provided goals for Jansen and took players away from him (prior to this there were two players on him almost all the time). In fact, of the first 22 goals scored in that season, in the Premiership, which took us up to Christmas, Jansen had scored 3. Dunn had scored more than that (I noticed at least 4). Jansen looked good because Andy Cole was fantastic.

As I've said- I agree about his time in the Championship- he was a good Championship striker.

Err have you never encountered 'heavy irony' before Tyrone? :rolleyes:

So forget Ashley Ward then if you must.......... Whatabout Paul Dickov as the best 'lost cause / aimless ball chaser' in recent history? He put in more selfless graft in Mark Hughes first season than Jansen and Ward combined.

Archived