BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Jansen

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was absolutely heartbreaking to see Matty in the Rovers shirt again. What a legend. What a tragic, tragic loss. :(

I agree mum! It was great to see he's kept himself in some kind of shape as well which is a good sign. I'd be happy to see him play for anyone and would def look out for him all the time. I just hope someone makes a gamble and takes him on.

If that scumbag Lee Hughes can be given a chance then somebody like Matty should def be rewarded with a chance.

Matty was seriously injured in a motorbike accident a few years ago whilst on holiday in Rome. He was in a coma for several days. He was on the verge of being called up for England, but missed out due to a stomach upset otherwise he would not have been there. Rovers tried everything to help him and rehabilitate him but he has never been the same since. Tragic

Guest fernhurstblue

a motorbike accident in which he didnt have a crash helmet on ..... some would be say the seriousness of his injury was his won fault :ph34r:

Nonetheless a terrible accident and a waste of a talent.

For me it is one of the saddest episodes in Rovers' modern history. A terrible waste of talent for a player who was good enough at his peak to have played for England.

Matt played an integral role in our promotion back to the Premiership in 2001 and also an important role in our Worthington Cup win the following year.

He scored the opening goal against Spurs in the final at Cardiff, a goal in the 2nd leg semi-final tie against Sheffield Wednesday and a hat-trick against Arsenal in the quarter-final that year. (Mark Hughes scored the other goal in the 4-0 win over the Gunners).

Matt's goals obviously played a vital part in the Worthington Cup success. He'll have a place in history for that, but it's very sad how subsequent events developed.

I think I remember reading it was the crash helmet that saved his life.

That is correct. A bit of a myth developed among some Rovers fans that he wasn't wearing a helmet during the crash. Matt did have a helmet on.

its well documented that no matter how much good you do the guys who are the bad guys always seem to get lucky.

Matt took part in Sky's Premier League Allstars on Sunday. He played up front with Garns. He has apparently been forced to retire but the commentators said there is a rumour of interest from LA Galaxy.

Matt took part in Sky's Premier League Allstars on Sunday. He played up front with Garns. He has apparently been forced to retire but the commentators said there is a rumour of interest from LA Galaxy.

Every time I hear or read somwething about Matt Jansen I have mixed feelings for him. One is of pure sorrow; this lad was on the cusp of the England squad for the 2002 World Cup, 5 years later he's trotting out for a has-beens team when he should be strutting his stuff on the big stage. The other side has me thinking what an idiot he was for riding a scooter on mountain roads, he could have had more sense.

Archived