BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Jansen

As I've said- I agree about his time in the Championship- he was a good Championship striker.

You are being a touch harsh Jan. Matty was an excellent Championship striker .... he was a very good Premiership striker too with the right strike partner, BUT he was NOT a great Premiership striker.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are being a touch harsh Jan. Matty was an excellent Championship striker .... he was a very good Premiership striker too with the right strike partner, BUT he was NOT a great Premiership striker.

I'll give you that!

Come on...... Eyal Berkovic was no Tugay no was he?

In ability on the ball he bloody well was albeit his best work was done at the front of midfield not at the back. His tackling however made Tugay look like John Terry. :rolleyes:

btw I think it was John Hartson said Berkovitz was the best final ball provider that he had ever played with.

In ability on the ball he bloody well was albeit his best work was done at the front of midfield not at the back. His tackling however made Tugay look like John Terry. :rolleyes:

btw I think it was John Hartson said Berkovitz was the best final ball provider that he had ever played with.

was that bedfore or after he booted him in the face lol

Contention means actually staying in that league not actually challenging for anything, keep digging.

That has to be one of the most perplexingly daft comments I've seen on here. Just how WOULD we have been out of the league by the end of the first half of the season?? Ejected for shooting someone??? We could have been way behind, which we weren't, but we couldn't have been out of the league by the time we were saved by Mr Cole's acquisition. And for you to say that was mainly down to Matty ignores the contribution (and, more importantly, GOALS) of the rest of the team.

To be fair I dont really think he had much time to establish himself in the Premiership did he?

And with that you admit that he wasn't a great striker before the acccident, which is correct. My point was that he might have gone on to become one (I don't think so but anything's possible) but he wasn't there then.

And with that you admit that he wasn't a great striker before the acccident, which is correct. My point was that he might have gone on to become one (I don't think so but anything's possible) but he wasn't there then.

What? No I think that he was a fantastic striker before his accident. Its just unfortunate that he did not have longer to make an impact in the Premier League before his accident. I think that all the good players from Division One need to adapt to life in the Premier league and Matt Jansen showed signs that he could be more than capable of achieving great things at that level.

Berkovich was after unspeakably high wages (for those days); we kept him dangling all summer until we got Tugay and then City finally gave in and gave him his wadge.

Jansen will always have a very special place in Rovers' hearts.

- for being on the end of all those special moves in the second division and getting us promotion by sticking most of them in the net.

- for his ability to do the very special. In the Prem he had long dry spells but he was always a player who could quicken the pace with a "how did he do that" moment.

- at the end of the 2003/4 season he clicked as a Premiership goal scorer and on the last three months' form forced himself from nowhere to almost getting on the plane with Sven to Japorea.

- for me, his warm up routines stand alongside Ripley and Tugay's for entertainment value and eye popping ball tricks

I suppose how we look at Matty's career depends on whether you are one of those people who remember the old Ewood foremost for the bogs, the damp, the cold, the splintered wooden seats in the Nuttall Street or you think of the old Ewood and immediately see the nets bulging and remember jumping and down. Most of the games were so bad that you had plenty of time to cogitate the surroundings but for me football is about the highs and that's what I remember.

And quite a lot of highs have been courtesy of Matt Jansen.

- at the end of the 2003/4 season he clicked as a Premiership goal scorer and on the last three months' form forced himself from nowhere to almost getting on the plane with Sven to Japorea.

-

You need to get your facts right Mr Malta! I think you will find that the World Cup was in 2002 and not 2004. If he was getting on the plane with Sven to Japorea in 2004 he must have been going there on his summer holiday.

• 5 months later...

Just seen Matt Jansen on sky sports talking about a possible return to football on the coaching side of things. He has yet to take alot of his coaching badges and said he's no plans to return soon and is focusing on family life at the moment but maybe in a few years time.

If he could prove himself to be of any worth as a coach would be good to have a true rovers legend back at the club one day.

One Matty Jansen :rover:

Just seen Matt Jansen on sky sports talking about a possible return to football on the coaching side of things. He has yet to take alot of his coaching badges and said he's no plans to return soon and is focusing on family life at the moment but maybe in a few years time.If he could prove himself to be of any worth as a coach would be good to have a true rovers legend back at the club one day.

One Matty Jansen :rover:

Seems quite relaxed about all that............. So whats he living on at the moment?

Archived