BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] July 1st

ANOTHER EASY TARGET

Hopefully one day I'll read about the yobs outside McDonald's being pulled up for littering.... :rolleyes:

I tell you ,it's outrageous.

Friday I'm going to pull the recycing employees and ask them why they are chucking litter all over the street.I'm not talking a match stick or a parking ticket, but plastic ,tin cans etc that was originally in ontainers that the respectable public had made the effort to put there.The street is spotless now, so how come on friday aftermoon it turns into an eyesore again

These people work for or with the council,shouldn't they be setting a good example, and if not should they not be fined under the same laws as joe public..

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm off to see "The Fall" at the Ritz in Manchester later on tonight.

It should be interesting to see how anyone deals with:

(a) Mark E Smith when he sparks up on stage mid-gig.

(B) Anyone in the audience (We'll be standing) who also lights up.

Let's see what happens.................

Well so much for the foccin smoking ban, 2 pakistanis caught smoking at Glasgow Airport already....

Baggage handlers at Glasgow Airport were said to be furious when the indian they ordered turned up burnt....

The attackers at Glasgow Airport have been named as:-

Sinjed Majeep and Maheed Sroastin

For Sale

Jeep Cherokee

L Reg

Blue

Slightly overheated

Contact Bashyir Doorin

First thing that came into my mind was the old adage 'like turkeys voting for Christmas'. If those plonkers think smoking is difficult to give up then I suggest as a comparison they they should visit a local hospice and speak to people who are trying to give up lung cancer.

Or for those who find fatty foods hard to resist, go visit a ward where people are trying to give up heart disease.

Or for the binge drinkers - visit a ward where people are trying to give up having a knackered liver.

The point is most people do things that are not exactly kind to their bodies... but it's life and these people are standing up for what they do. Fair play to 'em.

The point is most people do things that are not exactly kind to their bodies... but it's life and these people are standing up for what they believe in.

Like killing other people Ben?

How far do you want to take it?

If you're seriously proposing that traffic fumes are an equatable risk to people's health then I think you need some statistics to back it up.

In any case, that is not related to your initial point that if people want to screw up their bodies, let them. The point is, by smoking in an enclosed environment, they are also screwing up other people's bodies.

How far do you want to take it?

If you're seriously proposing that traffic fumes are an equatable risk to people's health then I think you need some statistics to back it up.

In any case, that is not related to your initial point that if people want to screw up their bodies, let them. The point is, by smoking in an enclosed environment, they are also screwing up other people's bodies.

It is related as it is a comparison and it poses a similar threat...

Two local stories of traffic pollution have been highlighted recently. Firstly in Darwen Town Centre… the amount of traffic at peak times caused more carbon monoxide than the government limits, a silmilar situation was recorded in Hyndburn at the crossroads heading towards Clayton-le Moors.

Or for those who find fatty foods hard to resist, go visit a ward where people are trying to give up heart disease.

Or for the binge drinkers - visit a ward where people are trying to give up having a knackered liver.

The point is most people do things that are not exactly kind to their bodies... but it's life and these people are standing up for what they do. Fair play to 'em.

And smoke/fumes from motor vehicles... should they all be banned and changed to electric? By driving a car am I not damaging people's health and the environment?

Oh dear. Sadly, this an argument I've heard many times since the ban was mentioned. All it ever boils down to is "well I should be able to smoke because I want to".

Someone pointed out the daft flaw in fast food/alcohol consumption to public smoking, so I'll leave that. But as for transport...are you serious? Aside from having no proof that exhaust fumes harm humans, never mind cause cancer, and also ignoring the fact that 99.9% of people use transport running on conventional fuel (whereas most people choose not to use cigarettes)...can you imagine what would happen to economy if petrol/diesel transport were banned? Deliveries would all but stop, millions would struggle to get to work, fire engines/ambulances would be unable to attend emergencies. Need I go on? The economy would crumble.

Just give it some bloody thought will you and stop being deliberately naive and selfish.

As a non smoker you are not forced to go into a smoking environment - it's a choice you make - whether you go to the pub with your mates, or you accept a job behind the bar of a pub - the issue I have is the ban is a blanket one with no choice for the owners of the venue to decide whether to accept it or not - I don't like being assaulted by drunks while in town - let's all ban booze.

BTW I don't smoke, but I do drink

the issue I have is the ban is a blanket one with no choice for the owners of the venue to decide whether to accept it or not

Hardly any pubs/clubs would voluntarily have the ban as it would lead to a massive loss in revenue. The choice has ALWAYS been there for them to be non-smoking, so why don't those places exist already?

As for 'having a choice' about going to pubs etc. Yes, we do have a choice. But should people who don't want to risk getting cancer have to shy away from places because some people can't be arsed standing by the doors for five minutes?

The drink comparison doesn't hold up either. There are many, many things that go into making a person violent, not just alcohol. Smoking is the sole reason people's health can suffer because of what someone else is choosing to stick in their mouth.

In the end it's all academic as the smoking ban has been introduced.

Absolutely, however I felt as there was a thread on this I would put my own opinion forward. I'm done now and may just read posts in future rather than contribute :lol:

Well, just one more thing... Although alcohol is not the only factor relating to violence, it is a major factor in a Town Centre on a Friday or saturday night but usually they just fight amongst themselves anyway!

:brfc::brfc::brfc:

Why can't they allow the landlord to decide whether it's a pub that allows smoking or not ?

The establishment can clearly display smoking or non smoking for the benefit of customers or employees. If you are a non smoker you can then make a choice to drink/work somewhere else.

Why can't this stupid government allow grown ups to think for themselves ?

AS, as I mentioned above, the choice for pubs to be none-smoking has always been there, but it simply doesn't happen.

It's not just pub goers who are being thought of, it's the staff who spend 35+ hours a week in there. Again I ask, why should people be forced away from places because people can't be bothered going outside for five minutes?

Also...it's not just our 'stupid government' that has this law. Norway, Portugal, Ireland to name but a few. Maybe it's more 'progressive' than 'stupid'.

You can get bar work anywhere, they're not designing power stations they're asking you what flavour crisps you want.

If they don't want that kind of atmosphere they should work somewhere else. I believe it should be down to personal choice, it'll be ale next.

Archived