[Archived] Santa Cruz

Best striker since Shearer?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Is he the best since Shearer?

• Yes.
    • No
    • Grooby is better than santa.
    • Yes, but he'll be gone by the end of the season
    • Yes, but he'll still be around for a few years yet.
    • No, he's nowhere near to the mighty Shearer

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome aboard Roque.

Cracking signing....really looking forward to seeing him in action. I think he and McCarthy will be an awesome partnership next season and with Roberts, Derbyshire and Rigters pushing for a start I think we are looking like having another strong season.

Well Done Rovers.

This one confuses the hell out of me. My German mates tell me we've signed the Bundesliga equivalent of Franny Jeffers but Hughes has a great record with signings. But then he did sign Jeffers...

I hope they both prove me wrong but until then this would be a depressing signing if I didn't like our first 3 strikers so much.

I hope this doesn't mean Roberts is going.

Guardian article on Roque

Excellent signing for 3.5m when you consider that Chopra went for 5m and Bent for 17m.

However, we do seem to lack a top quality central midfielder who can do 40+ games a season. I am really scared that none among Savage/Reid/Dunn/Tugay are fit enough to last an entire season

Excellent signing for 3.5m when you consider that Chopra went for 5m and Bent for 17m.

However, we do seem to lack a top quality central midfielder who can do 40+ games a season. I am really scared that none among Savage/Reid/Dunn/Tugay are fit enough to last an entire season

That's why we have 5 players (including the Axe) for two spots in central midfield.

I actually saw Santa Cruz yesterday, when I was getting my Middlesbrough tickets. He was walkin in the ground with Ken Beamish..

He's very tall... lets hope he can get on the end of Bents and MGP's crosses.

Shame his missus wasnt with him - had to look at Beamo instead! ha ha

Excellent signing. You don't manage to stay at Bayern Munich for all that time if you don't have something about you. The price is incredible when you consider today's market. Lots of experience both domestically and international level and is a target man with good technique, with age in his favour as well. Another gem from Hughes.

If you look at our squad now, we have an extremey talented outfit. I can only think of two positions that need strengthening and that would be right back and the second would be a creative midfielder, however after a full pre season mabye Dunny or Reid may fill the att mid position. This is the strongest team we have had for a fair few years.

Got to finish top half next season. 6th-8th!

I'm cautiously optimistic about this signing. Undoubtably the man has talent, it's just a question of whether Hughes can motivate him. A 25 year old international striker for less than £4m is definately worth the gamble, especially in this crazy market.

From the Rovers vs Vectra thread:

(philipl @ Jul 29 2007, 13:30 )

I know my hearing is not getting any better and the girl tripped over the name of the Macedonian skipper of Vetra when he get sent off but did Carsten Pederson set up Roberts' goal and have we signed Rodney Santa Cruz?

(LeChuck @ Jul 29 2007, 18:16)

No, she said "Roque Santa Cruz" and "a cross from Pedersen

(roversmum @ Jul 29 2007, 19.02)

Well, that's it then. I can never think of Roque as anything other than Rodney now! :D

Welcome to Rovers, Rodney!

Archived