[Archived] Santa Cruz

Best striker since Shearer?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Is he the best since Shearer?

• Yes.
    • No
    • Grooby is better than santa.
    • Yes, but he'll be gone by the end of the season
    • Yes, but he'll still be around for a few years yet.
    • No, he's nowhere near to the mighty Shearer

Well I guess since everyone is still in bed on t'other side of the globe I'll get it started...

Copa America:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAtFFU4-Scw

First goal for Bayern:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Tjm_w2AIE

Interview: (if you understand Nazi talk)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zr_p4k66rY

So the big question is who's going?

Probably Benni.

Just hope Derbs still gets in the first team, I think he's one of the most exciting prospects in the Prem.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how Santa Cruz is going to fit it. He's not a pacy player is he? So if he starts alongside McCarthy, which you would think would be the first choice pairing and with MGP and Bentley on the flanks - i'm struggling to see much pace in the first team attack.

Edit: Having just watched some of the youtube clips - maybe Santa Cruz is faster than the traditional totem pole target man.

I'm not sure how Santa Cruz is going to fit it. He's not a pacy player is he? So if he starts alongside McCarthy, which you would think would be the first choice pairing and with MGP and Bentley on the flanks - i'm struggling to see much pace in the first team attack.

We could play 4-3-3 with someone like Tugay in the middle and Derbs up front to add some pace.

So the big question is who's going?

Probably Benni.

Just hope Derbs still gets in the first team, I think he's one of the most exciting prospects in the Prem.

I would be most surprised to see Benni move on now. All transfer gossip and rumours have died down and I know this doesn't mean that a transfer still couldn't take place, but with the amount of times Hughes has said that he isn't leaving and other teams seemingly turning their attentions elsewhere, I'd be surprised if he moved. In terms of name alone, a striking partnership of Santa Cruz and McCarthy is pretty impressive and Hughes probably sees this as his starting pair which has the potential to be lethal. There's no doubt that Derbs is a talent, but he wasn't first choice last year and still played alot and scored some goals. I see this being the case again this year. Using him in the right way and progressing his development. He will play a lot this year even if he isn't first choice.

i for one am cautiously excited about this signing! a forward line to choose from (barring no departures) Roque, Benni, Matty, Roberts, Rigters, Gally and EVEN jeffers sounds pretty bloody impressive to me... even if we still need to strengthen in other areas (i.e centre midfiled/right back) we should have no problem scoring goals next season at the very least!

i say we give roque an awesome reception if he is unvieled today and hope he has a burning desire to prove his doubters wrong (a la bellers 2 years ago!)

Come on Chico! :rover:

There's always a risk when signing players that they won't fit into the way of playing in the Premiership but Hughes has done ok in the part, so I too am cautiously optimistic about this.

Benni is unlikely to leave this summer, nor in the winter if he wants a Champions league club, but we may get the same run around this time next year and personally I dont want a player who doesnt want us <_<

i say we give roque an awesome reception if he is unvieled today and hope he has a burning desire to prove his doubters wrong (a la bellers 2 years ago!)

Come on Chico! :rover:

I wonder what he is going to think when he walks out to the sparse crowd at Ewood today

I wonder what he is going to think when he walks out to the sparse crowd at Ewood today

He's not signed yet, has he? There's always the danger that some club like Man City have been alerted by him being in the country.

Archived