[Archived] Santa Cruz

Best striker since Shearer?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Is he the best since Shearer?

• Yes.
    • No
    • Grooby is better than santa.
    • Yes, but he'll be gone by the end of the season
    • Yes, but he'll still be around for a few years yet.
    • No, he's nowhere near to the mighty Shearer

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was going to - but can't see any "written" evidence he's got any full caps?

Soccerbase certainly has a big fat zero, and can't see anything on the SFA official site - but I don't trust either of them because it's in the back of my mind that he has played at least one senior game.

But - he appears to be so far off being even a choice for the subs bench at Ewood, I just left him out!

Gally definitely played one full international for Scotland and a number of U21 internationals. Can't remember which opposition, or when though.

It will be interesting this season to discover whether Mark Hughes is right about Santa's gifts or whether The Guardian were more accurate in their analysis of him.

Hughes says of Roque: "He's got a great physical presence. He's a big guy and he has great technical ability, a good awareness of the people around him. I think he compliments the strikers that I already have at the club."

The Guardian however, described Santa Cruz in rather less flattering terms. To quote their first paragraph about him in an article in April last season: "Terrible. Rubbish. Disgraceful. Useless. Crap. Ridiculous. Hopeless. Bloody awful. It was, in other words, just another day at the office for Roque Santa Cruz."

The opening paragraph went on to say: "In a few years, when people might still wonder what exactly happened to Germany's biggest club in 2006-07, one can simply point to the fact that the Paraguayan striker - the term is used very loosely here, he's scored zero in 22 this season, and a grand total of 29 in his seven previous seasons in Munich - was actually allowed to start three very important matches in a row."

"Santa Cruz, once a cult hero among fans, has elevated apathy to an art form and taken meekness to new, unprecedented levels. Against Milan and Leverkusen, the 25-year-old's performances were so infuriatingly inept that he was booed off the pitch in the Allianz Arena by the 66,000 crowd."

Nothing Sparky said is wrong - Santa does have great technical ability, and is quite big.

The Guardian article accurately reflects his performances last season, but he was coming off the back of injury and played all over the shop. And his 7 years at Bayern were plagued by injury - in his first season he played 28 but after that didn't manage as many.

However, the important word there is highlighted - apathy. That comes from being in one place too long, having injury problems (can make a player tentative) and lack of confidence. The first and last points should be helped by the move, adding hunger to the player who will hopefully want to prove himself again. The middle one will be helped by the management and the training regime.

It's a risk, but it looks calculated to me. I'm quietly optimistic (but then, I mostly am).

I was going to - but can't see any "written" evidence he's got any full caps?

Soccerbase certainly has a big fat zero, and can't see anything on the SFA official site - but I don't trust either of them because it's in the back of my mind that he has played at least one senior game.

But - he appears to be so far off being even a choice for the subs bench at Ewood, I just left him out!

Plus when was the last time they called him up - seems like he is out of favour now

Plus when was the last time they called him up - seems like he is out of favour now

Different managers have different ideas...! As I said I can't remember exactly when he got his cap, but it was maybe 2 or 3 years ago, and may have been under Bertie Vogts; dont think it was Walter Smith, but it may have been.

Gally definitely played one full international for Scotland and a number of U21 internationals. Can't remember which opposition, or when though.

I remember him coming on as a sub against Wales when Scotland got whooped 4-0.

Why are people doubting Dunny so much?! He played well for us before injury, went to Brum, played well, before injury and then played wel for us again before the season closed. In fact, he was absolutely brilliant against Chelsea. If he can maintain his fitness, Dunn will be an amazing signing.

I have a lot of faith in him.

Why are people doubting Dunny so much?! He played well for us before injury, went to Brum, played well, before injury and then played wel for us again before the season closed. In fact, he was absolutely brilliant against Chelsea. If he can maintain his fitness, Dunn will be an amazing signing.

I have a lot of faith in him.

Because he's local

Because if he can regain his fitness he can do want no one at our club can do and very few in premiership. The fact he's local aids his determination and helps us love him more.

I should have added "and that makes saddoes jealous". I'm right there with you. I thiink Dunny is a great (re-) signing. But then I never thought we should have got rid in the first place.

Add to that list: Gallagher - full international (Scotland)

What I don't understand is that Gally is from Blackburn isn't he so he should be trying to play for England and Steven Reid is from London but plays for Republic of Ireland? :huh:

Because he's local and that makes saddoes jealous.

Interesting that. It strikes me that a lot of fans are quick to criticise Dunn, who looks well in contention for the first team this season, yet just as easily praise Gallagher, who seems to be sixth choice striker. And they're both local lads.

Not saying you are wrong or anything, just the difference in attitudes towards the two players is odd.

What I don't understand is that Gally is from Blackburn isn't he so he should be trying to play for England and Steven Reid is from London but plays for Republic of Ireland? :huh:

Gally was born in Glasgow and then moved to Blackburn as a small kid. Reid, I think, has one Irish grand parent.

Gallgher considers himself a Scot. I would guess Reid did not really have much affinity for Ireland (could be wrong) but realised that he could be an International regular with ROI while with England he was unlikely to get a sniff, especially considering he was a decidedly average when he first turned out for them. Ironically he massively improved and got to the point where he could well have got an England cap toward the end of the 2005-2006 season. But I think he made the right choice, in the longrun your not going to displace Gerrard, Lampard, Hargreaves etc. and he has captained the Irish.

Gally was born in Glasgow and then moved to Blackburn as a small kid. Reid, I think, has one Irish grand parent.

Gallgher considers himself a Scot. I would guess Reid did not really have much affinity for Ireland (could be wrong) but realised that he could be an International regular with ROI while with England he was unlikely to get a sniff, especially considering he was a decidedly average when he first turned out for them. Ironically he massively improved and got to the point where he could well have got an England cap toward the end of the 2005-2006 season. But I think he made the right choice, in the longrun your not going to displace Gerrard, Lampard, Hargreaves etc. and he has captained the Irish.

Thanks, yeah you're probably right about Reid. I'm just listening to his interview with Andy Bayes and he did play for the England under 16s but then had contacts with Ireland so went that way. I suppose by playing for the ROI he got to go to a World Cup and there's nothing greater than that.

Interesting that. It strikes me that a lot of fans are quick to criticise Dunn, who looks well in contention for the first team this season, yet just as easily praise Gallagher, who seems to be sixth choice striker. And they're both local lads.

Not saying you are wrong or anything, just the difference in attitudes towards the two players is odd.

There was a lot of talk from the usual suspects on here about Gally being "arrogant" a couple of years back

There was a lot of talk from the usual suspects on here about Gally being "arrogant" a couple of years back

it all probably stemmed from untrue rumours regarding his private life. :angry:

back on topic - my 1st impressions of santa - he's similar to chris sutton, but with added pace and trickery. :brfc:

I can rember Sutty destroying the entire Wimbledon defence with a piece of trickery, devastating turn and acceleration and sublime finish.

If Roque is better than Sutty in those departments, all I can say is WOW! this is going to be a fantastic season for entertainment.

Slightly shocked by the amount of Dunny slating on this thread... he was outstanding for us and much loved by all the fans during his first stint at Ewood and has shown he's still got it since resigning (remember the Chelsea match anyone).

Anyway back to the matter in hand... the people accused of being negative are merely pointing out the facts of Santas poor record for Bayern (more unnecessary slating... am I sensing a trend?!) but Sparky is right in that the player does have great physical presence and technical ability (there are loads of highlights available to back this up, some have already been posted on here so I won't do it again) and for £3.3mil I'm willing to bet Hughes is the man to help Santa find his form. He's got a great record with developing strikers for us and if he can do half as well again I think (considering how cheap it was) this will be the signing of the season! I do feel I should keep my fingers crossed though because it's no certainty.

I can rember Sutty destroying the entire Wimbledon defence with a piece of trickery, devastating turn and acceleration and sublime finish.

If Roque is better than Sutty in those departments, all I can say is WOW! this is going to be a fantastic season for entertainment.

he played brilliantly that day, upfront with jansen - i thought we were safe after that result! :unsure:

as for roque, i stand by the comparison. 1st impressions were excellent - although they're not always a good barometer.

nonda was brilliant against liverpool at anfield, early last season, but a pale shadow afterwards.

Slightly shocked by the amount of Dunny slating on this thread... he was outstanding for us and much loved by all the fans during his first stint at Ewood and has shown he's still got it since resigning (remember the Chelsea match anyone).

I for one am not shocked at the amount of people slating dunny,It comes with the territory at rovers.Look at what happened with lucas neil (no i am not his biggest fan either) last season before he went off and joined wham? the first half of the season i thought he was going to liverpool and though i was disappointed,i thought thanks for your service and if you wanted to go to a bigger club then fair enough good luck to you.But during this time he still played with 100% commitment,yet still got booed for it!

and as for the treatment of the best striker ever seen at ewood in alan shearer...well just don`t go there!!

Archived