[Archived] Santa Cruz

Best striker since Shearer?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Is he the best since Shearer?

• Yes.
    • No
    • Grooby is better than santa.
    • Yes, but he'll be gone by the end of the season
    • Yes, but he'll still be around for a few years yet.
    • No, he's nowhere near to the mighty Shearer

Made a bit of a mistake in the build up to Everton's goal, but he again looked good today. Great touch and movement, although he may have been slightly fortunate with the goal. Really impressed with him so far.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's generous Eddie, he caused Everton's goal. A very weak defensive header which I presume was intended for Savage to clear when it should haved been put anywhere but where he did place the ball. Still he's looking good up front.

First full gmae I've managed to see Roque in and I thought he was very impressive. Very good in the air, but at the same time had very good control, was pretty quick, and worked hard. Can't really get much better than that for £3.4m this summer.

Can't really get much better than that for £3.4m this summer.

Not even 2/3 of Kenwyne Jones? ;)

He certainly is looking good, hope his form continues as it looks like we've seen the best of McCarthy already.

Thought Santa looked excellent yesterday. His touch, pace, vision and positioning were excellent and his workrate was impeccable, even if he didn't do particularly well in the lead up to the goal. To be fair, though, he was trying to knock it to Savage who wasn't really expecting it. Even then it was an amazing finish by McFadden.

Back to Roque, he looks well good.

That second article is an eloquent answer to all who knock Benni.

Reading the press this morning has an early 1990's feel to it without the "loadsamoney tag".

People are waking up to the fact that Rovers are confounding everyone and are really rather good.

I am very excited about Santa and think it is a huge privilege to have him at Ewood- I just hope that Rovers' training regime helps to keep him fully fit. He has missed an awful lot of football in his career so far.

That's a very good article. Roque has done very well for us so far this season. With three goals already, you can't ask for much more. I really think that he can score 15-20 goals this season for us and if McCarthy can do likewise, then we will be doing very well.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I can tell, all Rovers' international players have avoided injury thus far this week-end.

At least Hughes and co do not need to be worrying about Roque getting crocked mid-week.

He got the first red card of his career (first of many being a Rover no doubt) in the game Paraguay lost 3-2 in Venezuela having been 2-0 up.

Roque is already on his way back to Blackburn.

• 2 weeks later...

Tribal Football have a nice little piece which might be a rehash od previous stories.

Basically says how Sparky convinced Roque to come to Rovers and his determination to play and win medals whilst on the field of play.

Sky version of the story. Roque says only positive things so the Sky plonkers turn it into "Roque doesn't regret going to Blackburn".

Tribal Football have a nice little piece which might be a rehash od previous stories.

Basically says how Sparky convinced Roque to come to Rovers and his determination to play and win medals whilst on the field of play.

Sky version of the story. Roque says only positive things so the Sky plonkers turn it into "Roque doesn't regret going to Blackburn".

No surprises there though.

Roque is now two goals away from equalling his season's best in the league, and three from equalling his all competitions season's best. And a healthy return of a goal every two games all told that belies his career average of something like a goal every 6 games! At this rate we will get an impressive haul from him that could be something like four times his career best! I'm sure keepers will eventually figure out he always sends headers back across the way they came though!

No surprises there though.

Roque is now two goals away from equalling his season's best in the league, and three from equalling his all competitions season's best. And a healthy return of a goal every two games all told that belies his career average of something like a goal every 6 games! At this rate we will get an impressive haul from him that could be something like four times his career best! I'm sure keepers will eventually figure out he always sends headers back across the way they came though!

Loose talk costs lives! (in this case, loses matches) ;)

Archived