[Archived] Santa Cruz

Best striker since Shearer?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Is he the best since Shearer?

• Yes.
    • No
    • Grooby is better than santa.
    • Yes, but he'll be gone by the end of the season
    • Yes, but he'll still be around for a few years yet.
    • No, he's nowhere near to the mighty Shearer

I've always been a little mindful of pre-season hype by fellow players ever since Friedel talked up Emerton's amazing free-kicks, saying something like he could get more movement on the ball than Beckham (I think).

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
READ ME

Sounds like the Admiral has been impressed!

I particularly like the phrase "everything a Blackburn player should be" Coming from Nelsen that means a lot!

Have you seen that stupid comment by Toonman9?

You know what you have to do ...................

I for one am not shocked at the amount of people slating dunny,It comes with the territory at rovers.Look at what happened with lucas neil (no i am not his biggest fan either) last season before he went off and joined wham? the first half of the season i thought he was going to liverpool and though i was disappointed,i thought thanks for your service and if you wanted to go to a bigger club then fair enough good luck to you.But during this time he still played with 100% commitment,yet still got booed for it!

and as for the treatment of the best striker ever seen at ewood in alan shearer...well just don`t go there!!

Sounds like you're kind of making the same point I was getting at? Please continue to let it shock you and let's not start judging players on a couple performances when they have shown before what they are capable of. Likewise, doubters please give Roque a chance and don't slate him before he's even played a few competitive games.

Bored at work, so came up with this, 1st but isnt great, feel free to suggest better :)

(to the tune of rudolf the red nosed reindeer)

Roque, the goal-scoring rover

has a very funny name.

And if you ever said it,

you would even say it wrong.

All of the other coaches

used to laugh and call him names.

They never let poor Roque

play in many football games.

Then one goal less game

Hughes came to say:

"Roque with your head so great,

won't you score me a goal tonight?"

Then all the rovers loved him

as they shouted out with glee,

Roque the goal-scoring rover,

you'll go down in history!

Its interesting to read on sky sports that Owen Hargreaves reccomended Blackburn to Santa Cruz, saying that hell be happy here. When has Hargreaves ever been to Blackburn?

Well Bayern Munich and Rovers trained on opposite pitches in Germany last year. Hargreaves came over and chatted to the Rovers staff. No recollection about Santa Cruz being there or not.

Santa Cruz gave a good interview after the game on Saturday. All the usual stuff, but the interviewer asked him "Was that a dream start to your career at Blackburn?" and Roque's (brilliant) answer was "No, it was not quite like my dream last night. In that one I scored 3!". The interviewer was quiet, then Roque burst out laughing - it was well funny.

Its interesting to read on sky sports that Owen Hargreaves reccomended Blackburn to Santa Cruz, saying that hell be happy here. When has Hargreaves ever been to Blackburn?

Quite a bit on Santa and Owen's friendship in today's Daily Telegraph. Even claims that Hargreaves pushed him into coming!

So far so good with Roque

Seen him at PNE and Boro and he is tall without being gangly, quick, technically very good and also looks like a good all round footballer.

Great header against Boro too.

I can see Jason Roberts finding himself on the bench pretty quickly as he to me has been far from impressive.

Also made me laugh when Shearer described him as Rovers "big-money buy" on MOTD!! After all the money being thrown around on extremely average players by more or less every other prem club!

Also made me laugh when Shearer described him as Rovers "big-money buy" on MOTD!! After all the money being thrown around on extremely average players by more or less every other prem club!

We have to be the club that has spent the least? Even Derby have just splashed out 5 million. Wigan have spent some money too.

At any rate by my calculations it is a toss up between us, Reading and Bolton for the most thrifty award.

And even taking the loss in revenue from slashing the ticket price into account we should have quite a bit of cash lyng around in the event of the right player coming along.

We have to be the club that has spent the least? Even Derby have just splashed out 5 million. Wigan have spent some money too.

At any rate by my calculations it is a toss up between us, Reading and Bolton for the most thrifty award.

And even taking the loss in revenue from slashing the ticket price into account we should have quite a bit of cash lyng around in the event of the right player coming along.

Reading have spent less, but we're definitely near the bottom of the summer spending table.

:rover: my take on santa cruz,he certianly looks the part,it's great to see a striker causing problems in the air in our opponents penalty area.he was unlucky with a great flick on in the box 2nd half sunday,2 rovers players just missed getting the final touch,and hopefully this threat will continue.

how will benny and santa play together,will they complement each other?has benny ever played off a big man?it may mean a change in style but i'm sure sparky is working on it.

at this stage in the season i rate our strikers as

1-benny

2-santa

3-derbs

4-roberts :brfc:

Archived