BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Too Posh To Sing ?

Glenn

There is no deying it, the level of singing and atmosphere in general at Ewood has declined over the last decade. I'm as much to blame as anyone, once upon a time I'd sing my heart out for 90 mins, now I'm afraid I might interupt the converstion of the ladies in front or offend the parents of the kid who spends 90 mins playing on his PSP by using some bad language.

Well, this season I've decided to say "sod it" and go back to my old ways and it seems I'm not alone. A group of people (including Stu Wilkey, Ste B, LatD and a few others I won't name) are getting together in the pub to work out what we can do to pick the atmosphere up again.

This is a open invite to anyone who feels pasionatley about this, we don't want people who just want to come along and listen or just use it as yet another Drummer Bashing Session (although we hope the main drummer will be there too), we want the noisey opinionated ones, those who give away games the atmosphere we so lack at home. We want those people who aren't afraid to start singing when we're 1-0 down.

If we don't act now, Ewood is going to turn into The Emirates (where people where being lifted for singing songs with *shock* swear words in them) or even worse, one of those grounds where the home fans are constantly outsung by the visitors.

Away games, especially in europe prove that there are still people around capable of making and noise and making a difference, so come on down and help us.

Anyway ..... now I've got that off my chest, I just need Stu or Ste or LatD or someone to remind me of where and when we were getting together over a beer to work out what to do next. :)

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the biggest problems you have is that with the seating everyone who would sing don't sit near each other. Unlike the old days where you could simply walk over to a group singing and join in, you simply can't now.

I for one am happy to sing, chant, yell whatever but I will be in the Riverside this year where making a noise simply isn't allowed!

About time this issue was raised! well done!

I would like to see a group formed who are responsible for creating new songs/ chants (like man united have).

I would also like to see the new songs section added to the main messageboard.

As for noise, Il be making plenty this season as usual, regardless of who moans around me.

See the Songs section of the wiki that I started work on last night :) (with much more to come over following nights I hope). Plus my usual disclaimer. A wiki is not a one man project, edit Edit and contribute to it.

On a side note. I'm still after someone with basic video editing skills to help we with a song related project.

It's too late now that the season has started, but maybe looking ahead to next season, all season ticket holders who feel passionately about this could meet together and try to request season ticket seats in close proximity to each other?

Why don't you get a few more songs n print them up for match days. You could give them out in 100's and let fans hand them out. £70 quid should get you 5000 A4's.

I am sure you'll get a lot more singing that way.

I am so supporting this. Bit harsh I'm in Holland and never ever visited Ewood, but when I do, on January 1st (fukk me, I can't stop raving on and on about it. Excited as a rabbit! :wub: ), I'll be in the Blackburn stand and I'll sing my lungs out. I'll probably don't have a clue WHAT I'm singing, but I don't care. And it's all about this phrase Glenn wrote:

If we don't act now, Ewood is going to turn into one of those grounds where the home fans are constantly outsung by the visitors.
Great initiative Glenn, Stu, Ste and the others. If we get real atmosphere, we get sold-out matches, we get a name for having the best fans, we get new players in who're proud to be a Rover, we'll be the biggest club on earth within no time. And all we need to do is sing. Let me help you one more time:

But if you sing, sing, sing, sing, sing, sing

For the love you bring won't mean a thing

Unless you sing, sing, sing, sing

My season ticket is on the Blackburn end near the back in the corner nearest the Jack Walker and it is a good atmosphere. From about row 25 up most people stand up and start up all the chants. My advice if you want a good atmosphere come and join us!

It would be an idea for the club to maybe designate this area a singing section or something.

Glenn, whats with all the posts today - have you been fired?

:P

No, I'll have you know I'm being exceeding productive today. It's just what I'm doing is very stop-start and alt-tabbing back here is too addictive. I now know how Nicko and WSR fee ;)

But thank you for pointing out that it's very very unusual for me to visit this site during working hours, I just hope my boss realises that too.

It's too late now that the season has started, but maybe looking ahead to next season, all season ticket holders who feel passionately about this could meet together and try to request season ticket seats in close proximity to each other?

Maybe a leaflet or something out to all the supporters - haven't thought it through - but maybe saying that the NO1/2(?) area is going to be a singing area next season and those who are not wanting to sing could maybe move? It's going to upset some somewhere but no gain without pain and all that. Perhaps could give it a try at a cup match?

I understand what you mean! I dont sing as much as I'd like to, because I feel silly doing it by myself! If you only had a small group willing to sing... if that group involved/embraced the people around them, more people would feel comfortable to join in.

I was at the pre-season friendly against Huddersfield and it was really quiet in parts... and when they started signing "you'll never play for England " to Dave it ###### me off so much that I chanted back at them by myself when it was all quiet... singing the exact same song back at them, but as "you'll never play in the Premiership!" ...I felt a bit of a tit, but ah well... I'd have felt comfortable had others JOINED IN!

Maybe a leaflet or something out to all the supporters - haven't thought it through - but maybe saying that the NO1/2(?) area is going to be a singing area next season and those who are not wanting to sing could maybe move? It's going to upset some somewhere but no gain without pain and all that. Perhaps could give it a try at a cup match?

I think designating the entire BBE lower as a singing area would send out a better signal!

We're not that loud round my way (back of the BBE just to the right of goal) but I'd be loath to move as I like the folks I'm sat next to.

Still I'll see what I can do - I've got a few chants going away from home before now.

All we need is Howard Gayle coming up to the blackburn end waving his arms, worked a treat back then.

How about getting a Blackburn Bez, with maracas and glow sticks :rover:

How awesome would Ewood look at a night match, if the club gave blue n' white glowsticks to everyone, and just as the players are about to come out, turn the lights out? :tu:

How about getting a Blackburn Bez, with maracas and glow sticks :rover:

How awesome would Ewood look at a night match, if the club gave blue n' white glowsticks to everyone, and just as the players are about to come out, turn the lights out? :tu:

They could hire a DJ too, sell pots of vics on the concourse, everyone has to wear beany hats, have a whistle, eeeh, those were the days.

Whistle posse, ooooh oooooh!!!!!!!!!!

Glenn i agree about away european games, the singing is top notch leverkusen and feyenoord were brilliant, why we cant do it at home i dont know.

The thing is you/we can!

Not too many seasons ago the Pompey fans were talking about the same subject ie...the atmosphere's crap at home but brilliant away and so on and so on.

They, if I remember correctly, got a few fans together and decided the only way to sort it was to SING and SING non stop until hundreds more joined in.

I dont think they've ever stopped since all be it with that bloody bell! (Think Waggy knows the owner of the said bell) :rolleyes:

Forgot were I read about this, but it's down in print somewhere.

Yep. All it needs is people to get involved and sing up ! The fact the everyone is spread out around the ground can actually work in our favour.

As for people moving. Forget it. We've talked about this time and time again, the problem is everybody (including myself) likes where they sit and doesn't want to move.

Archived