BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Too Posh To Sing ?

Glenn

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that the BBE has been 'diluted' with some non-singers but they have every right to be there as much as me.I have a feeling though that the atmosphere will be much improved this season, I do believe the BBE lower is more or less sold out to season ticket holders......its just like the good old days!

I think Bob Fleming`s idea is a great one. It`d recreate the 'buzz' of getting in the ground early to claim your seat & supporters who want to sing will tend to gather together....thus leaving other supporters to enjoy the game as they`d want to.

worth a try me says.

Actually this same conversation is happening with fans of the football team I support in Sydney (Sydney FC), where fans are trying to figure out ways to improve the atmosphere.

At the moment we have a similar set-up to what Bob describes here;

The BBE lower should be advertised as the place to go if you want to go and sing and get behind the team. If you want to sit and watch then perhaps another area of the ground is for you.

with the club stating this is what happens when you buy a season ticket.

The problem we've faced is while we've got heaps of people who want to get involved in creating atmosphere but there's what we call the "The Cone of Silence" which seems to be right in the middle of "The Cove" (Sydney's version of the BBE). The "Cone of Silence" is filled with people who are there to either soak up the atmosphere or are just there so they can tell their mates that they were there for games. This "Cone of Silence" happened when the area had unreserved seating and is still around when the stadium switched to reserved seating. While this is happening there's people who want to get involved but can't due to not getting to the ground early enough (when there was unreserved seating) or we're pushed to the edges of the stand, away from the action when it was switched to reserved seating. In the two years we've printed out song sheets, had people with megaphone out the front chanting/prompting people, placed people in the middle of the "Cone of Silence" to get them into the spirit of things and even starting getting angry (or maybe ###### taking) by chanting; "Sing or @#$% off". :rolleyes:

So what we're doing this season is;

• We talked with the club into making the Cove tickets more expensive (by around $10-20) as it seemed as people we're chosing this ticket as a cheap option to get a season ticket.
  • Created a fanzine detailing fan's experiences, songs, banner making days, photos of fans in action.
  • Think of more creative ways to educate people.
  • Help to try to get the whole crowd involved

Hopefully these thing will help things along this season.

Reduce the capacity of the BBE lower by say 400 tickets, and make it unreserved seating. First come first served. The core singers would probably congregate in the centre of the BBE. If you wanted to get in amongst that lot then you'd have to get there early. Of course you'd still have people turning up at 2.58 (me probably) looking for a seat - hence the reason why you would have to reduce the capacity (I wouldn't fancy looking for x1 empty seat amongst a sold out stand of 4000+ people).

Funnily enough to get an unreserved license the capacity has to be reduced by a minimum of 10%.

To echo Paul's post about a singing section the club should / could do more to improve the atmosphere. The BBE lower should be advertised as the place to go if you want to go and sing and get behind the team. If you want to sit and watch then perhaps another area of the ground is for you. I agree with others who say that the BBE atmosphere has been "diluted" by people who don't sing. There's nothing wrong with that of course but it doesn't help the atmosphere.

This has probably been posted before, if so I apologise, but what about the following or is this too redcial?

Reduce the capacity of the BBE lower by say 400 tickets, and make it unreserved seating. First come first served. The core singers would probably congregate in the centre of the BBE. If you wanted to get in amongst that lot then you'd have to get there early. Of course you'd still have people turning up at 2.58 (me probably) looking for a seat - hence the reason why you would have to reduce the capacity (I wouldn't fancy looking for x1 empty seat amongst a sold out stand of 4000+ people).

This would surely bring back a buzz and an air of excitement to the BBE. The nearest thing we would have to the terraces of old - which policed themselves to a certain extent, if you didn't want to sing then get away from the back of the stand, if you did then get yourselves up there.

There's probably a security aspect to this as well, it increases the likelihood of people "acting the fool" (for want of a better phrase) - therefore the BBE lower would only be open to Season Ticket holders.

There, how's about that for a badly thought out idea for early on a Saturday morning?

(In the course of writing this I've actually realised that although I think it would do wonders for the atmosphere I think there would be too many objections from: the police, the stewards and fans who don't want to move and have sat in the same seat since the new BBE was built)

A good idea but the problem in doing this would be that there are 3 of us this season with season tickets in the BBE (me my 6year old son and brother-in-law).Although my son likes to sing along and join in,if people are stood up in front of him he can`t see.And to find 3 seats together (and i know there are groups of 4&5 and probably more who sit together)in a stand of unreserved seating could be extremely hard work.Although i can see where you are coming from,i think there are too many flaws for it to work.

A good idea but the problem in doing this would be that there are 3 of us this season with season tickets in the BBE (me my 6year old son and brother-in-law).Although my son likes to sing along and join in,if people are stood up in front of him he can`t see.And to find 3 seats together (and i know there are groups of 4&5 and probably more who sit together)in a stand of unreserved seating could be extremely hard work.Although i can see where you are coming from,i think there are too many flaws for it to work.

....then get there early & sit nearer the front.

or move to another stand where everyone sits & claps.

I love going to games and sitting in the BBE and jumping and clapping and singing. Ill yell and scream at the top of my voice. I dont have a problem with people who dont, I have a problem with people who come to games and moan. I have a problem with people who remain in the concurse after the designated kick off time to finish off their fifth pint, and not being at their seats and these are the same people who leave 5 mins before half time coz they want to be the first in the cue to get another drink. These are the same people that are up and down the whole game going to the toilets because they have had that much to drink. The 15 year old chavs who dont come to watch the football they come to half a drink and cause a nuisance, i think these are the people that we should be looking to move into a different section.

All chavs together thats mu opinion.

....then get there early & sit nearer the front.

or move to another stand where everyone sits & claps.

why?? i enjoy the view from the BBE where i am sat (and the atmosphere) and don`t see why i should move stands.Also my wife works until 1pm on a saturday hence it is around 2.40pm when i get to the ground.I am sure there are other people in the same boat as me.

And this is where you miss the point of what i was saying.

Well the atmosphere was great at the game today! I think with the reduced ticket prices and more home and away fans in the ground, we will see a natural improvement in the noise level.

All of the seats in front of me in the Riverside were full today, with people starting chants, standing up, etc. Maybe I'll have to move to the Jack Walker to get away from the riff-raff...... :lol:

Excellent atmosphere yesterday, it got so loud at certain points in the second half that the guy next to me couldn't hear what I was telling him.

(and no it wasn't Nicko, he was further back)

Archived