BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fa Cup Winners Will Qualify For The Champions League

Cocker

I don't understand the complaints about the Champions League. Aside from the name being factually incorrect, whats wrong with it?

As far as I'm concerned the Champions League is brilliant. Consistently the biggest teams in European (and by default, World) football playing each other. Great players vs great players, big occasions, big atmospheres, great football.

It doesnt need changing, we just need to qualify for it! Imagine if the first year we finished 4th they changed the rules. That was be somewhat wanky, yes?

Wow. There are lots of different reports out there today about what might be in Platini's proposals. Unfortunately they all suggest that he's failed in his attempts to strip a berth from the top 3 leagues. Bummer. I'm not sure what to make of a separate qualifying tournament for 16 cup winners. The FA Cup winner really should get the second automatic group berth. Oh well. We'll know the plan at the end of the month.

I don't understand why three entrants instead of four would be beneficial to us, or anyone in fact.

If it were changed, there would be a big three instead of big four...and breaking into the 'elite' would be that little bit more impossible for the chasing pack.

A place to the F.A. Cup, however, would increase the chance of other clubs breaking into the European Cup. Although one of the big four inevitably wins it, I wonder if they would offer the place to the runner up should the outright winner already have qualified through the league? If so, Southampton, Millwall and West Ham would have all played Champion's League football in the last four years if the rule was in effect then.

Surely it can only be a good thing (West Ham jibes aside).

I don't understand the complaints about the Champions League. Aside from the name being factually incorrect, whats wrong with it?

As far as I'm concerned the Champions League is brilliant. Consistently the biggest teams in European (and by default, World) football playing each other. Great players vs great players, big occasions, big atmospheres, great football.

It doesnt need changing, we just need to qualify for it! Imagine if the first year we finished 4th they changed the rules. That was be somewhat wanky, yes?

Because year after year it produces some very dull matches and we all know what is going to happen. I don't really care too much, but I can certainly see why people would.

An even wackier and truly original thought :rolleyes: ...... what about making each round of the European cup a 2 legged knock out? It'd be far more exciting for the TV and I'm sure the fans would much prefer that to the annual procession that is in place now. ;)

Without seeding, at that.

Are you being serious? For the neutral the champions League is as dull as dishwater until the last 16. (knockout stage) After that it admittedly throws up some very juicy ties from time to time.

The League stages are generally a procession for the bigger Clubs and in terms of the competition could quite easily be dispensed with were it not for the fact the Clubs would whinge about the loss of revenue.

It's probably a generation thing. I was raised on European nights being special. It didn't matter which English clubs where playing, you were interested and you wanted them to win plus the majority of the opposition meant something. Ajax, Benifica, AC Milan, Real Madrid. These days you end up with Elfsborg and Mypa - it doesn't bear comparison as clubs have become desperate for inclusion in Europe they have succesfully devalued the prize till it becomes almost meaningless to the neutral.

Are you being serious? For the neutral the champions League is as dull as dishwater until the last 16. (knockout stage) After that it admittedly throws up some very juicy ties from time to time.

The League stages are generally a procession for the bigger Clubs and in terms of the competition could quite easily be dispensed with were it not for the fact the Clubs would whinge about the loss of revenue.

Absolutely serious. Perhaps the group stages are a procession, but once the knockout stages get underway I don't think you can knock it. I always enjoy wayching CL football, particuarly from Feb onwards.

The Champions mini-league concept was interesting to start with but now they are like eight Premier Leagues- you can write down the names of the top two with near certainty the moment they are drawn.

That is what makes them so boring and every one of Platini's proposals will only make the whole thing worse from that standpoint.

The knock-out stage has also lost its allure. Three seasons ago, the round of 16 produced eight stunning ties on paper but frankly all 16 games seemed to have been let-downs in terms of spectacle for spectators/viewers.

Were it not for the first Milan/Liverpool final, the CL would be dying on its feet in terms of real sporting drama in recent seasons.

An assessment of Platini and the close to zero chance of his change being accepted.

I think the distribution of any potential wealth is good for the game.

People may be writing off the old format but it mostly won by the big clubs anyway, however the distribution of talent was more exciting.

With the advent of pay tv and the net you can see every game from every where these days however there is something wonderful about waiting to see the greatest players in the world twice or so a year.

At first glance I like Platini's proposed changes and I think they'll get approved.

3 more champions automatically in group & no more worrying about a qualifier if we finish 3rd (starting in 2009). The new qualifying ideas (including the 16 cup winners) mean only 9 teams at the most will be in without winning anything.

Explain why we wouldnt have a propper chance of winning it? I have last seasons semi final programme at home to prove that we did have a propper chance.

Anyone in it can win it.

If Pedersens shot had gone in against Chelsea,then I'm sure we would of got to the Final last time out.

I still have nightmares about that miss.

Platini seems to be winning the big clubs round by making the first 3 automatically qualify for Champs League

Cup Winners go into a two round Cup-winners cup to get into CL Group stages. A bit intertoto-ish. Seems very confused in terms of what happens to pre-qualifiers and runners up.

Intertoto to go and UEFA Cup to be upgraded and revamped- anyone got any details of that?

Archived