BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Antonio Puerta

Haven't seen this posted anywhere else and although it's not Rovers or even Premier League, I'm more than a little shocked by this...

From: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_2690886,00.html

Doctors have admitted Antonio Puerta's progress in hospital has been 'unfavourable'.

The Sevilla wing-back is in intensive care after suffering a heart attack during his team's victory over Getafe at the weekend.

He collapsed on the pitch, and again in the changing rooms, before being rushed to hospital after being given cardiac resuscitation.

Puerta's condition remains 'very critical' after doctors at the Virgen del Rocio hospital in Seville provided an update on Tuesday.

"The player remains in the hospital in a very critical state and his progress is unfavourable," said doctors.

"The condition of patient Antonio Puerta is not favourable due to the progression of the postanoxic brain injury and the multiple organic dysfunction caused by the prolonged cardiac arrest that led to his admission to hospital."

Distraught

Meanwhile, Puerta's former Sevilla team-mate Jose Antonio Reyes revealed his hope that the Spain international will pull through.

Reyes - now at Atletico Madrid - has visited Puerta in hospital and admits he is 'distraught' by his old colleague's condition.

"I have experienced many moments with him and at this time I have a bitter taste in my mouth," said Reyes.

"He is strong and I am certain that he will come out of this. This is what we all hope for.

"I am distraught because when something like this happens to a team-mate it is very hard."

That's all Sky News has on it, but norwegian newspaper VG is reporting now that Puerta passed away in hospital....

This article is in norwegian, but still: http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=157170

Don't know if my memory is tricking itself, but its telling me that the few previous occasions this has happened... hang on, I'll have a look... Marc-Vivien Foe... well, I was about to say that the players collapsed early in the season. But Marc-Vivien Foe died in June, which would be the off-season. And Hungarian player, Miklos Fehere died in a similar way mid-season. So ignore the link.

Very sad to see... I'm not old enough to have know of this happening before the Marc-Vivien Foe incident. Is this exclusively a symptom of the modern game?

R.I.P Puerta, 22 is no age to die nevermind to of died an heart attack or multiple heart attacks. Condolences go out to his friends and family.

When something like this happens, it always puts things into perspective for me, that its just a game of football. I'd hate for something like to happen to anyone nevermind a professional footballer.

Archived