BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Larissa (home)

It was never going to be our night if you watched the warm ups closely. The greeks were proper net busters and not the skill less would be's that so many suggest.

Then not ten minutes later, Roar hit the bar from an otherwise sweetly taken kick just outside the box.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Typical Rovers, as those have been watching them in the long term will testify, the public give them a chance and turn up in droves, but we fail to deliver.

As much as I love Mark Hughes as manager he got the tactics horribly wrong tonight imo.

Once we unexpectedly went 3-0 down early on we needed drastic action. Should have swapped Bentley and Derbyshire round, should have brought Savage on for Tugay, dragged a defender off and put McCarthy on behind the front two. Might as well have been hung for a sheep as a lamb.

Tugay had an absolute mare all game and it's amazing he stayed on the pitch for 90 minutes. With both him and Mokoena sitting so deep we allowed Larissa the run of the midfield in the first half. We needed three goals initially and it was 43 minutes before we even managed a (weak) shot on target!

We only got a glimmer of a sniff due to a ridiculous penalty award in our favour. Second half we briefly threatened after Warnock's superb strike but that soon petered out as well. We never looked like scoring after that.

Well done to Larissa, by far the better side over the two legs. Desperate stuff from our point of view. Why should new or existing fans be encouraged to attend on that basis?

Agree Rev except for the penalty - it was nailed on ( even though if we hadn't have got it I honestly feel we would not have scored at all)

Frustrated frustration is how I feel and very annoyed. Didn't expect but held hope we could make a game of it and we failed miserably

Hughes was to blame for last night and I still cannot comprehend the logic of only starting with one up front at home ffs when we needed to score goals!!!! It was obvious what changes and adaptions neede making after 10mins - even after they scored there was still plenty of time to go for it and yet still we huff and puffed sideways and backwards.

What is it with modern day managers playing players out of their normal positions when there is no need.

Tugay (genius) - think we all can see its over for him at this level - even his passing game has gone on last nights evidence

SAMBA - MOM for me what a surprise -(would have been Dunn if he could have lasted longer) but I am becoming more convinced with every game he is not very good in the air in terms of directing headers. What was he doing on the wing when we need him in the box?

Lame , very lame`- no urgency bar the little spell after 1/2 time laborious and lacklustre in our build ups (nothing new there then) and bereft of idea's both on and off the field.

Well done Rovers - the opportunity was there and yet again we blow it big time with our negativity which of course will do just the trick to bring people back (not!!!)

Larissa where not a bad team but where still there for the taking last night - so Congratulations to them and their fans and good luck.

I just don't feel it will give us the spur for the rest of the season that some people think it will.

On a side note my apologies to those around me -Bob Fleming and co - I was a right cantankerous sod last night and became a bit riled in the heat of the moment.

I agree with virtually all the comments and what people said in the Blues following the game. The team that started in Larissa (with wide players) should have started last night and the team that started last night (compact) should have started in Larissa. This is the only instance I think Hughes deserves some constructive criticism as he (and the players) c*cked up.

It was a bad night, or two bad nights but these things happen in football and probably highlight Rovers weaknesses, good but not consistant. How we miss Steven Reid. Hughes will be gutted as he takes Europe seriously, so all we can hope is roll on next season's UEFA Cup and let's do better. In order to do that we need to get behind the team for the rest of season, put last night behind us, and qualify automatically. If we get to a quarter or Semi final next year in Europe, or the year after, last nights exit will all but be forgotten. Still absolutely gutted though. The UEFA Cup is to the Rovers IMO the most important and exciting competition.

Got to look forward to Sunday now and playing Birmingham and carry on our recent winning run.

I agree with most of the comments you guys have posted, but i dont think Tugay was the worst player because noone had a bad game its just that noone had a good game except samba. We will be better for this defeat and hopefully learn from it and hey when we are competing in the fa cup the carling cup and the prem is getting knocked out the uefa cup a blessing in disguise? I don't think Friedel should be captain i think either Samba or Emerton should be. I think we missed Nelsen because he organises the defence and the guys onfront of him and noone took over that role last night. Its a reallt big shame because Reid hasent played in europe for us in the last two years and its a bit of a kick in the teeth for him, but all the players should look at themselves over the two legs and ask themselves did i give 100%? I think the answer is no. Well done to those who turned up we made abit of a noise early in the second half and it was great to hear it. Hopefullly its 3 pts against Brum on sunday, forget about this

Everyone's going on about conceding the 2 goals away from home but what about the one we conceded Yesterday, that shouldn't have happend and if i didn't we could've gone into extra - time, with the team we've got we could've easily scored another in extra - time

I agree with you. I didn't see the game, but listened to it on 5 Live instead, I was up for the Pompey and Brum games last week. They would have had to attack us more, possibly leaving us some space to score goals. That goal effectively knocked us out, and it was very sloppy to concede it.

I wish the UEFA Cup was organised like the Champions League with teams playing each other in a group before the reaching the knock out stage.

In response to the reply/ies on my thread I'm putting the aftermath of my "diary entry" on the right thread.

It was time

It was time. But, of course, Rovers blew it. Maybe that's a bit too harsh because when Larissa got that early goal they needed 4 but that NEVER should have happened! Blackburn were at home and had somehow managed to get a decent crown at Ewood by ways of persuation, bribary and blackmail and could have got those 3 goals needed to go through or at least 2 to send the tie into extra-time. Instead the "fools" who paid their £1 or whatever were left humiliated and devastated as the team crashed out of Europe in the FIRST round! TO LARISSA! For goodness sake it's stripped the pride in Europe that Mark Hughes brought right out of Rovers and sent them back to depths and abyss that they were before where such embaressments were, pehaps, not such a shock but last night. Phhheewww.... I do not know what to say anymore. I am still stunned but I tell you now if I had been one of those faithful supporters that Rovers fans are and had gone to the match I would be so upset and angry by the way I had been treated. I would want not only a refund (even if it is only £1) but an inquest and an explanation. Once again I DO NOT blame Hughes. Those players should step on to the hallowed turf that Rovers supporters would give anything to do and to wear the shirt with the Pride of Lancashire Red Rose on it and play in front of 20k+. Those players did not come CLOSE. OK, they did make the final aggregate score 3-2 but Blackburn Rovers should not be losing to these sort of clubs. On paper it was easy. I wish it was done on paper sometimes. Last night was the WORSE night I have experienced as Rovers fan when it could and should have been the BEST.

I hope Rovers fans who went to match that I'm not insulting you with that but what I meant was that I'm sure you are just as angry, probably more, than me about the result.

I'm still fuming.

Hughes has to take a great deal of blame for last night. First half, as everyone has pointed out, the tactics were completely wrong. Rocky isolated, Derbs useless on wing, Mokoena and Tugay too deep, Bentley more effective on the wing.

Second half was a different story. Bentely is a wide man, he frustrates the life out of me in the middle. His crossing is what makes him the player he is. Put him in the middle and we lose that.

Bringing on Savage was a mistake - Should have put Rigters on.

What makes me really angry is that over the two legs obvious tactical and personnel changes have been needed and have been spotted by everyone, now it's not as if Hughes doesn't understand football. I just can not figure out why he has made some of the decisions he has over these two legs.

Very disappointed. No silver lining for me.

:rover: i will post this before i read anyone else's posts,over two legs we did not deserve to go through.i thought 3-1 on the night was good enough for extra time,wrong.so when we go a goal down why did we not bring on benny for a defender.a special mention for the MONSTERS they were superb,apart from celtic the best european support i have seen at ewood.oh and what was the HUGHESEY HUGHSEY SORT IT OUT chant all about.are we after driving the best manager we have had away? :brfc:

Tactics may have been wrong but over two legs we didn't perform primarily because Larissa didn't allow us to, simple as that. All credit to their team, their manager and their fans who I've got to admit I'd never even heard of before the draw...... I wonder what their average salary is? Just a few observations....

1. I'd have been furious if that pen had been given against us. Dunny had kicked the ball into the Blackburn end before contact was made. Half the pen than the one that Sunderland were denied last Sat.

2. For us to proceed they hadn't to score .... never mind score first. After that goal the scene was virtually set.

3. Best away support and most noise (man for man) than I can recall at Ewood. What was that mass turn around about?

4. There is a popular myth circulating that since Hughes and Co arrived that BRFC players are amongst the fittest around. What complete rubbish and last night proved it.

5. MoM for me was Santa Cruz by a mile. Samba was the usual Samba defensively but last night he was continually harried into poor distribution and over ambitious long shots, and for once he carried no threat at corners (not only his fault btw.... he cannot head his own crosses can he?). Cruz was just class simple as that, his first touch and lay-offs are a delight to behold, his balance is exceptional and he is deceivingly robust.

6. All round disappointing cos last years euro excursions were a fantastic experience, work situation (and over confidence on my part) lead me to not go to Greece but to keep my powder dry for later rounds which with the benefit of hindsight was a big mistake.

7. Good refereeing in the main, so no excuses there. Sad to say but there has been a total reversal in the past 30 years and now I notice regularly european referees are usually better than ours. The watershed when things switched around imo was the 94 World Cup in America.

So whilst we all lick our wounds .... Good luck to Larissa.

many are saying the tatics were wrong, were they the same tatics we used against birmingham and sunderland-yes...however watching last night, derbyshire looked out his depth-their left back had him all first half...id say only a few players can come out with abit of credit...friedal, samba, warnock, bentley, dunn, roque santa cruz...

it just proves that rovers need alot of strength in january, savage and tugay are getting on, id sell mcarthy if the price was right..

many are saying the tatics were wrong, were they the same tatics we used against birmingham and sunderland-yes...however watching last night, derbyshire looked out his depth-their left back had him all first half...id say only a few players can come out with abit of credit...friedal, samba, warnock, bentley, dunn, roque santa cruz...

it just proves that rovers need alot of strength in january, savage and tugay are getting on, id sell mcarthy if the price was right..

Mozzer you cant sell McCarthy unless he wants to go, and we do need money and we need it quick because we are going to be eaten alive in the league soon. Heres hoping we pull another samba out of the hat in january.

7. Good refereeing in the main, so no excuses there. Sad to say but there has been a total reversal in the past 30 years and now I notice regularly european referees are usually better than ours. The watershed when things switched around imo was the 94 World Cup in America.

Yes we discussed this on the way home. The European referees we've had the past couple of seasons have been generally anonymous, quietly getting on with the job. Compare this with the amateur dramatics we see from most British referees week in, week out and there is no doubt where the quality is. Last night's officials are unlikley to have been the top men wherever they came from but they performed very competently and contributed to the whole game.

Mozzer you cant sell McCarthy unless he wants to go, and we do need money and we need it quick because we are going to be eaten alive in the league soon. Heres hoping we pull another samba out of the hat in january.

it was only couple months ago, mcarthy was sending a "come and get me plea"..imo we are keeping an unhappy player-if he plays on birmingham he needs to prove me otherwise-he needs to put in a proper performance..

I thought we were meant to be up for it? We weren't much better than the 1^st leg. I don't like calling Hughes, or criticizing him but his tactics were all wrong last night. We played with no width at all. Dunn has been brilliant this season, down the MIDDLE of central midfield - where does he play? On the left wing? He hasn't even got a left foot!! After some serious working out, Derbyshire seemed to play between the right wing and up front - totally ineffective. He was neither down the right wing or an out and out striker, leaving Santa Cruz on his own. I don't think even he knew where he was meant to be playing.

There was a total lack of width last night. We got the ball in the centre and were snuffed out by their 5-man midfield because we had no one wanting the ball out wide. It was all down the centre. Dunn had to keep coming inside to rescue Tugay and Mokoena as their passing was awful, and that's putting it kindly.

It's never a good sign when we have to rely on Emerton getting down the wing and putting crosses in. Can someone remind me when he ever successfully managed to do this when he played right wing for us?

The only plus points were Santa Cruz and Samba.... I felt quite sorry for them as they seemed the only ones up for it. I'm sure a quick look at their bank balance wont make me feel as sorry for them.

I remember watching us against Man City earlier this season and thinking what a good side we had, and this could be THE season..... But after the Pompey game, and the 2 games against Larissa I am seriously wondering if something has happened behind the scenes?

Pedersen and McCarthy won’t need to have washed their kits last night. We shouldn't pay the f**kers

One other thing to mention is, that is the best away following I have EVER seen at Ewood

They were bouncing up and down, singing their heads off for the full 90 minutes.

Superb to watch. Their fans deserve to be in the next round, if no one else.

Typical Rovers, as those have been watching them in the long term will testify, the public give them a chance and turn up in droves, but we fail to deliver.

Truer words have never been spoken, except for the odd occasion it always has seemd to be the case. Did not see the game game but although we had lost I was hoping to come on here and read some reports of a wonderful assualt on their goal for 90 minutes with the Greeks defending desperately, woodwork and excellent saves thwarting us. Alas it sounds like we went out with a bit of a whimper.

Pride a little bit dented, sorry for the fans not being able to enjoy some good Euro nights but it is one less thing to worry about. Now, let's drop this carling cup and give the FA CUp and qualifying for Europe a proper push.

Well i am absolutely gutted about not going through.. only good thing is I'll have some money and more holidays than I thought at work and I'll get to go and watch England instead (not sure if that is good or not mind you!)

I thought Derbyshire, Tugay, Savage, McCarthy, Pedersen where awful last night. Derbyshire was out of position so maybe I can understand his performance in the first half.

I don't like having a negative attitude about our players but I think I have every right today!

McCarthy just doesn't seem interested unless the ball falls to his feet (sounds familiar!!!!!!!!). When Pedersen came on he took a wonderful free-kick but after that I don't remember him touching the ball for about 10 minutes! What has happened to him?! I heard a story last night from another Rover in the stands that during training he spends the majority of his time practising free-kicks, well maybe it's time he went back to the basics of playing football and how to run with the ball past players and how to control it.

I think after we took Dunn off it was never going to happen. He was bossing midfield, opening it up and making all the runs. When he went off we lost that. I thought Mokoena had a good first half too. Bentley should've been playing on the wing putting crosses in and running at defenders. That's what he's good at! and we missed that in the first half. I thought the substitutions where all wrong.

I was whacking myself when Derbyshire went up to take the penalty I was screaming for someone else to take it. But luckily he came good but I just new he was going to miss it.

I just want to praise Samba I thought he was absolutely immense and played brilliantly even when he was stuck on the wing but what exactly was he doing there anyway? Reminds me off when we banged Martin Taylor up front, only difference was he scored. I do think he should've got the man of the match other than Bentley. What was all that about, he did play well but not as good as Samba in my opinion?

Warnock had a good game and took his shot well. You could see Emerton was disappointed from his mistake at the Away leg and really tried hard to fight and win everything that came near him which is good to see. I just wish he'd take defenders on more in other games not just when he thinks he owes the team a performance.

Like someone else posted I also believe we lost the tie over there and it was always going to be difficult to come back but we could only be positive and have hope.. now I just feel like topping myself :(

Anyway I best get back to work and face the wrath of the Dingles and Bolton fans we have working here. It makes me quiver at the thought of Bolton being in Europe and us not. Oh well roll on next season!!

.. a devastated Rover! :huh:

Speaking of the referee. I'm sure their keeper should have been sent off. He was booked for the penalty foul - then he came off his line so the pen had to be re-taken - that usually results in a booking. Any thoughts?

You don't see many keepers booked for it the first time, if he had done it again then maybe. He should have played advantage after talking to the assistant imo but we still scored.

I thought he may have gone later on when he brought derbs down in the box, only for the pen not to be given. <_<

:rover: LAST NIGHT i looked through the results on tellytext and i think every greek team went through,most of the larrissa team were greek.grecce are the champions of europe,how far has the english game fallen behind?saying that we only had four englishmen on the pitch :brfc:

Gut reaction before the game, --- wrong team selection if you need to score 3 goals.

Gut reaction during the game .......where are the goals going to come from.

Gut reaction after the game ....... unprintable.

Gut reaction this morning ........... disappointed, last nights display and tactics were a step backwards, time to write an editorial, with no punches pulled.

ps. Well done to the 20,000 home fans that turned up.

brilliant, alan! i felt/feel the same.

the tactics used last night were incredible, and made even more so by MH stubbornly refusing to change them until it was too late.

fair enough..... we've beat birmingham and sunderland with the same tactics, but brum were poor and we were hardly expansive at sunderland.

if we base our season around that formation, not only will we be bored to tears, but we'd also struggle.

IMO the time to play that formation is in difficult games, against the top sides, not when we are either chasing games or when we're expected to win!

congrats to larissa, they deserved to go through, but arent a good side, we were just poorer than them.

I thought we were meant to be up for it? We weren't much better than the 1^st leg. I don't like calling Hughes, or criticizing him but his tactics were all wrong last night. We played with no width at all. Dunn has been brilliant this season, down the MIDDLE of central midfield - where does he play? On the left wing? He hasn't even got a left foot!! After some serious working out, Derbyshire seemed to play between the right wing and up front - totally ineffective. He was neither down the right wing or an out and out striker, leaving Santa Cruz on his own. I don't think even he knew where he was meant to be playing.

Spot.On.

Archived