BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Larissa (home)

It was never going to be our night if you watched the warm ups closely. The greeks were proper net busters and not the skill less would be's that so many suggest.

Then not ten minutes later, Roar hit the bar from an otherwise sweetly taken kick just outside the box.

Deary deary! I know MH got the team selection wrong from what you are all saying, but I didn't realise it included playing Roar as well!!!

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
congrats to larissa, they deserved to go through, but arent a good side, we were just poorer than them.

Well it confirmed to me that the Greek footy fan that I was talking to in Rhodes was right. They are a good side and could progress to the final.

:rover: LAST NIGHT i looked through the results on tellytext and i think every greek team went through,most of the larrissa team were greek.grecce are the champions of europe,how far has the english game fallen behind?saying that we only had four englishmen on the pitch :brfc:

Every other English side went through but us and there is a seriously possibility that every British side might get through the Champions League group stages. It is very likely that there will be 6 or 7 English sides with an interest in Europe after Christmas, I would even say that it wouldn't be a bad bet to say that an English team will win both the Champions League and the UEFA Cup this year. Sadly it won't be us.

Ater the second goal, we were absolutely destroying them. Then two things happened. We brought off Mokoena and put on MGP and they put on a substitute. Their substitute was infinitely better. MGP actually got a free kick on target (for once) and then disappeared into the totally ineffective nonentity we know and don't love. Savage and McCarthy didn't kick the ball for over 5 minutes after they came on. I don't think it's fair to blame McCarthy- no-one was passing to him. Savage just seemed to continually run away from the ball- which actually wasn't a bad thing, because when he got it he seemed incapable of passing straight.

Tugs has gone. He kept getting caught in possession and his passing wasn't good.

Actually, the Greeks had just done their homework. They closed us down much better than we did them. I wasn't surprised, but a little disappointed.

Jan, we went 12 minutes after the goal without scoring, changes had to be made. I personally wouldn't have brought on Savage, but MGP and Benni had to come on. In my opinion they should have both started, but even with the formation and 11 we had last night they should have come on much earlier.

i think last night proves we showed weaknesses and cracks in the squad last night(hence not ready for europe)..come january we will need to spend...a central midfielder, a striker, maybe another centre back, right back to pressure emerton...

Very disappointing result considering the talent we had out on that pitch.

In a way, I am glad that we got ousted as it saves me from grief from Mrs Roverite for spending our pennies on away trips ! I just cant help thinking that this result will help Rovers in the long run.

One things certain, it proves beyond any doubt that we need a central midfielder.

Another pointer, it shows that Tugay can no longer play at the highest level. Despite what people think, he is a legend of the past. Last night he was supposed to be the man to bring the forwards into play, his passing was awful going forward but great going sideways or backwards, his possession of the ball was poor and he created more problems for us than Larissa did.

MH's tactics were wrong from the off. To see Derbyshire out on the right was simply not going to work for us.

They cannot blame the crowd factor, over 20k Rovers fans entered that ground and left feeling flat.

Finally, God help Brum on Sunday, I feel the wrath factor taking place.

Rovers to move on and forget quickly.

I agree that Sparky got his starting eleven/tactics wrong - we're trying to play a United style formation and that just doesn't suit our players.

On the plus side - we can now concentrate on the league and hopefully we'll finish in the top 6 and qualify for Europe on merit this time.

Speaking of the referee. I'm sure their keeper should have been sent off. He was booked for the penalty foul - then he came off his line so the pen had to be re-taken - that usually results in a booking. Any thoughts?

Strictly speaking, yes you are right, but the ref is allowed a bit of discretion in these things and he must have figured that it would be too harsh to send him off. I just wish a few of our refs in England would apply the same common sense approach to these kind of decisions, instead of always applying the letter of the law; except in the case of decisions against the "BIG" clubs of course, when discretion becomes the better part of valour!

Finally, God help Brum on Sunday, I feel the wrath factor taking place.

Rovers to move on and forget quickly.

Unofrtunately , I can't go with this optimism 1864 and as I posted earlier I don't think it will spur us on the way it should do.

The 1st leg performance did not generate it in the game against Portsmouth - will this one?

It was all about the set up last night and as most people have mentioned Hughesy got it totally wrong and the players just did not look like they knew what they where suppose to be doing. I will never be able to understand this negative logic of not going for it from the off with x2 up front (strikers) when we knew we needed to score goals.

I am not into the squad rotation unless totally necessary and only believe in changing tatcics during a game if at all to counteract any problems - otherwise go with what you know and are good at- le tthe other teams worry about you.

To me there was only one at cause for naivety and that was Hughes - which is very very strange considering his experience.

Why could he not see what everybody else could with what was happening - I just don't get it.

The way I feel at the moment I just don't feel like going Sunday - and possibly won't.

Predictable evening really. Capped a horrible day in the life of Mr Jones. As the ball broke loose at the edge of the box, I knew that there was only one place it would end up, and I was obviously not wrong there. And that was that really, Rovers could not match the feats of Boro 2 seasons ago and turn it around. We never had any real pressure or momentum going and Larissa did to us what we would do to Arsenal or Chelsea. They did their homework, did the yards and we played right into their hands with the tactics in my opinion, and everyone else's it seems too.

Too much space between Tugay and RSC and Derbyshire, always looking for a miracle ball to open them up when a 4-4-2 with the wingers sat wide and spreading them out would have been far better. We had the ball plenty, but never in control. Samba, Moko and even Toogs first touch was awful all night meaning the ball forwards was rushed and often a guessing ball to be honest. Only the skill and intuitiveness of RSC made some of the passes look anything like intended.

In reality, we have not played well in any of our Euro games this season, but got easy teams to play and did enough. As soon as we played anyone with some quality, organisation and brains we came a cropper.

As for the crowd well 20,000 looks good in the current climate but it should have been miles more really.

I get the feeling that some of our staff are beginning to believe their own hype. Someone needs to get a grip.

:(

...... special mention for the MONSTERS they were superb,apart from celtic the best european support i have seen at ewood.oh and what was the HUGHESEY HUGHSEY SORT IT OUT chant all about.are we after driving the best manager we have had away? :brfc:

I mentioned both those points last night. :brfc:

No need to mention wrong formation/match details - it's all been said and repeated....... :brfc:

i disagree, den. IMO larrissa will struggle to get a point in the group stages.

I feel a bit better knowing that Ajax went out, as that was the game i had marked up to go to in the group stages.

I think they may do better than you think, they aren't good enough to go into the latter stages but who knows? They have a good team unit by the looks of it.

Summary of last Night.

Yes im sure we are all disappointed but like I have told several Bolton Fans today, id rather be out of the UEFA cup and then finish high in the league and maybe a good cup run, than have to play UEFA cup aswell as the others, pick up several injuries and then finish bottom 10. The premier league is the bread and butter of our income and that is by far the most important.

Samba last night proved that he is class, and without doubt our most important defender/ midfielder. He must be worth a silly amount of cash now!

When I heard the team I was gutted, and following the 1st goal it was all over. Derbyshire is still learning and last night was too big a step for him, like it or not McCarthy is 3 times the quality of him and should of started upfront. I would of also preferred to see Pedersen start, with Dunn in the middle instead of Tugay. Unfortunately fact is that he is now past it at this level.

The axe had a decent game and was one of our better performers, so credit where it’s due. The Penalty was soft and I don’t think we would of got it in the premier league as the ball was already out of play.

Santa and Benni both worked for the ball, but again the chances were not created for them. Its ok giving grief about them but at the end of the day they shouldn’t have to go deep and wide and try to create their own chances.

As for Larissa they were seriously under-rated and they deserve any success they get. They did what they had to and to be fair they didn’t come and play the usual European tripe of lying on the floor after every tackle. They played the game fair and there fans were top class, good following – I even got given a Monster Year book which was nice of them!

Comment about the ‘Hughes Sort it Out’ chant. The fans have that right, they were playing the wrong tactics and nothing was happening! They pay good money to watch their team.

Anyway onwards and upwards! A good crowd and a 3rd win on the bounce, roll on Sunday!

Comment about the ‘Hughes Sort it Out’ chant. The fans have that right, they were playing the wrong tactics and nothing was happening! They pay good money to watch their team.

:rover: I WOULD NOT CALL A FIVER GOOD MONEY :brfc:

Summary of last Night.

Yes im sure we are all disappointed but like I have told several Bolton Fans today, id rather be out of the UEFA cup and then finish high in the league and maybe a good cup run, than have to play UEFA cup aswell as the others, pick up several injuries and then finish bottom 10. The premier league is the bread and butter of our income and that is by far the most important.

I totally agree with you. The problem is that you can't guarantee the latter and there is no reason why they both can't be achieved.

£1, £5, £10 is all the same, its money which people have paid to be entertained.

Yes it would be good to achieve success in each competition but unfortunatly our squad isnt strong enough to cope with over 60 games a year at the moment. Therefore the priority has to be the £600k per placing in the premier league.

you might not Waggy but that doesn't mean other's don't.

As it was, its a good job it was a £5 as I wouldn't have been going last night as I would not have been able to afford anymore.

Hughesy - agree with most of your points except Derbyshire yes he might be learning but he icertaily not out of his depth when played as a striker - it has been said he looked out of place at Sunderland to which Hughes commented upon, yet still played him the same even after he had susbstituted him on Saturday. :blink:

The players who started last night where good enough to win the game - played in their proper positions IMO and we would more than likely not be having the discussions that have arisen on this thread today and would be in the draw for the league places.

Archived