BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Larissa (home)

Jan, we went 12 minutes after the goal without scoring, changes had to be made. I personally wouldn't have brought on Savage, but MGP and Benni had to come on. In my opinion they should have both started, but even with the formation and 11 we had last night they should have come on much earlier.

They bother offered no impact when they came on, they have both offered virtually all season.

Im shocked that you think BOTH should have started.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sparky was totally out-managed by Donis over the 2 games.

Can't beleive he picked a team to get a draw at Aston Villa when we needed to win 3-0 at home.

The first 30 minutes were abysmal.

The following are not good enough: Mokoena, Ooijer, Derbyshire.

The following are past it: Tugay, Savidge.

Said this before but we now must be regretting not adding a midfield player in the summer.

On a more positive note....there was noticably less smoking in the Riverside bogs.....and we will probably win on Sunday.

Warnock is right, good article. Hughes is also correct when he says that there is no point dwelling on defeat. We now have to think positive for next season and make sure it doesn't happen again. People talk like the season is over but in reality is only just begun and we've got other cup competitions to look forward, although not as glamorous as the UEFA Cup but let's just look forward to the season ahead and qualifying for Europe automatically.

.. still gutted but sh*t happens!

Can't beleive he picked a team to get a draw at Aston Villa when we needed to win 3-0 at home.

The following are not good enough: Mokoena, Ooijer, Derbyshire.

The following are past it: Tugay, Savidge.

Hughes picked a team that had won the previous 2 matches and he believed that they would do so again, which he was right about we won 2-1.

Mokoena i have never rated as a first team player, but one who can come on to shore up the defence with 15mins to go.

Ooijer has been very average since Ryan dropped out and i think we may need to look at somebody else there.

You can't have a go at Derbs, he is a striker that is being played on the wing. Derbs has proven last season and in the early part of this that he will score goals and you can't ask for much more than that. Maybe you should point out McCarthy's awful record this season instead of having a go at Derbs.

Tugay has looked very off the pace this season and i fear that this is a season to far for the midfield magician.

"Savidge" or Savage as he is normally known is far from past it, his energy is a massive plus especially when he is playing alongside Dunny in the centre.

Hughes picked a team that had won the previous 2 matches and he believed that they would do so again, which he was right about we won 2-1.

The problem was that we needed to win by 3 goals, which the team selection and formation needed to reflect, but didn't.

However I'm confident before Sunday now, pretty sure the boys will turn over Birmingham.

I'm not that bothered about going out of the UEFA. My assumption was that we'd cooked our goose losing 2-0 in Greece, so last night was a non-event to me. I see none of the games, don't go to any of the away days, the games are on a silly day also making us play on Sunday (normally badly), and our crowds aren't impressive. We only got in through the back door, hopefully we'll finish higher this season giving us an easier way in. 4th place would really be nice though.

Time to focus on Birmingham now and we need to learn from the mistakes made against Larissa and move on.

The best teams are those who bounce back straight away.

When we lost to Pompey, we ended up getting two wins against two premiership clubs.

Let's hope this happens again!

I just want to say though that the Larissa strikers put ours to shame. Neither set had that many chances, but Larissa's put everything they got in the back of the net - or dangerously close. Ours did pretty much nothing, though also had little to work with.

Agree.

Tugay has looked very off the pace this season and i fear that this is a season to far for the midfield magician.

Could be very very true, shame if it is though.

"Savidge" or Savage as he is normally known is far from past it, his energy is a massive plus especially when he is playing alongside Dunny in the centre.

Toatally disagree with, if you'd watched the pompey game and Larissa away you'd never play these two together again.

Gut reaction before the game, --- wrong team selection if you need to score 3 goals.

Gut reaction during the game .......where are the goals going to come from.

Gut reaction after the game ....... unprintable.

Gut reaction this morning ........... disappointed, last nights display and tactics were a step backwards, time to write an editorial, with no punches pulled.

ps. Well done to the 20,000 home fans that turned up.

Still Gutted

Still gutted myself. It was very disappointing to go out. But it's probably best not to dwell on what might have been...

The small consolation is that we won't have a potential fixture pile-up which will keep the players fresh for league games where we can push for an automatic UEFA spot this time round. There is also of course the F.A & League cups still to play for, i'm sure we'd all love a repeat of the Old Trafford experience last season and League cup final of 2002.

Come on you blues - here's to another memorable season :brfc:

On a side note my apologies to those around me -Bob Fleming and co - I was a right cantankerous sod last night and became a bit riled in the heat of the moment.

Don't worry about it Capt, I'm always the same when we win at home.

Wrong formation as far as I and thousands others were concerned. But what do I know? I've not been linked with the Spurs job this morning. Hughes has which shows he must be doing something right if he's linked with one of the biggest jobs in world football ;)

At least we should get a few more Saturday 3.00 kick offs now, scant consolation I know.

At least we should get a few more Saturday 3.00 kick offs now, scant consolation I know.

Thats actually rather large consolation in my eyes.

We'll learn from this and hopefully have a better season in the league this year.

Dont want to p on your chips, but a lot of the opposition are still in europe :(

You keep well away from my chips Alan. I've just had a look at the fixtures and I'm prepared to wager you one English pound that we'll not have another game moved to a Sunday because of other teams involvement in the UEFA Cup. How's about that?

You keep well away from my chips Alan. I've just had a look at the fixtures and I'm prepared to wager you one English pound that we'll not have another game moved to a Sunday because of other teams involvement in the UEFA Cup. How's about that?

Cover up your chips, Spuds Saturday 27th October :blink:

it was only couple months ago, mcarthy was sending a "come and get me plea"..imo we are keeping an unhappy player-if he plays on birmingham he needs to prove me otherwise-he needs to put in a proper performance..

He'll prob come good in December. <_<

There was a total lack of width last night. We got the ball in the centre and were snuffed out by their 5-man midfield because we had no one wanting the ball out wide. It was all down the centre. Dunn had to keep coming inside to rescue Tugay and Mokoena as their passing was awful, and that's putting it kindly.

Not a total lack of width just rank bad play by some of our supposedly more accomplished passers! :angry: I lost count of the number of times Warnock moved up into acres of space on the left wing only to be completely ignored by Tugay and Dunny whose sole intentions appeared to be to turn to the right side on every occasion before passing to a tighly marked Emo and Derbs, getting the return pass and repeating in ever decreasing triangles until they inevitably lost possession. Warnocks goal illustrated my point perfectly.

Archived