BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Enjoy The Samba Beat!

Colin Hendry is of massive significance to blackburn rovers history. He was a colossal defender(and attacker in some cases) over his two stints at our club.

He captained the side in many occasions and was dubbed as "mr blackburn rovers".The boy from dundee scored in our glorious full members cup final victory over charlton.Hendry scored two goals againt milwall as a make shift striker gaining us valuable points in the run up to the play offs in 92,and also gave a defending master class in 95 v everton away that even had alan hanson praising him for joy.

Until last season i was under the impression that no other rovers centre half would go on to be such a legend,however in seeing the emergence of a certain christopher samba i am convinced if he stays at the club and keeps improving he will overtake hendry in the blackburn rovers hall of fame.

The guy is a colossous like hendry,but also has speed,composure and all the necessary tools to become the best defender not only in england,but in europe. Lets just hope that we tie him down on a lengthy,clause free contract and watch the giant congolese defender develop into the world class defender we all believe he will be.

Have to agree with your sentiments, still amazes me that Hughes has plucked him from complete obsurity and assisted him into one of the best defenders in the league.

I can see him becoming a once in a generation player (as long as he stays here)

Steady on, he has only been with us two minutes. He hasnt over took Nelson yet never mind Colin Hendry.

There is no question he has been awsome for us but I do worry sometimes that he seems to have the odd spell where he totally switches off - I have seen Nelson shouting to him sometimes to get into position.

Glad the big man is on our side anyway :rover:

Steady on, he has only been with us two minutes. He hasnt over took Nelson yet never mind Colin Hendry.

There is no question he has been awsome for us but I do worry sometimes that he seems to have the odd spell where he totally switches off - I have seen Nelson shouting to him sometimes to get into position.

Glad the big man is on our side anyway :rover:

I agree but Big Col had his lapses in his younger days and he was considered sufficiently unreliable in his Man City spell that he was sometimes dropped there. What he achieved later helped us all forget his early hesitant/rash moments.

Chris Samba is just a phenomenon (if I can spell it). Yes there are other big guys in the Prem but nothing to compare with this lad. He is still learning but he has so much natural ability, it is scary to think how good he could become (Scary in a nice way!).

Who's Nelson? Anyway, Samba is a class act because he gives you that extra bonus of running forward with some skill (think he played as a makeshift striker at some point). He's still young but with The Admiral alongside him I think he'll become one of our best defenders ever. I'd still rate Hendry, Nelsen and Henchoz (in his first spell with us) as better defenders but only because they've proved themselves in the long run. No reason why Samba can't do the same...

Henchoz? Who we got relegated with? I'd say Berg and Short were better than him...

Well after being subjected to the life-sapping ineptitude of central defenders like Dailly, Peacock, Johansson, Tiny (okay, he had his day alongside Berg) and Aaron Mokoena (Mr Versatile) - it's so nice to have some good CBs at the club. Zurab ain't bad either, although still not convinced by Ooijer. I think there was a reason why PSV played him RB.

Samba, like Hendry is a heart & soul type of footballer.

I believe Rovers fans will always appreciate a player who seems to give his 'all' for the cause. These players may not be the most gifted or graceful, but if they show a passion for the shirt/club/team......the fans see it & the player soon becomes part of the clubs folklore......i.e.....Garner, Speedie, Hendry.

Hopefully Samba will be around long enough to join the above players.

Other players obviously have the talent but often show a lack of effort are soon found out.....i.e....Yorke

Who's Nelson? Anyway, Samba is a class act because he gives you that extra bonus of running forward with some skill (think he played as a makeshift striker at some point). He's still young but with The Admiral alongside him I think he'll become one of our best defenders ever. I'd still rate Hendry, Nelsen and Henchoz (in his first spell with us) as better defenders but only because they've proved themselves in the long run. No reason why Samba can't do the same...

I think he means Lord Nelson, the hero of Trafalgar. ;) Also I did hear that he was a pretty nifty CB too in the RN team! :D

I'm afraid there's one simple reason why Samba is unlikely to overtake Colin as our favourite centre half. He's unlikely to be around for long enough. Do I think he can become as good or potentially an even better player? Yes, and Hendry is of course my favourite centre half of all time so it takes some saying.

Anyway how about... to a well known recent tune....

Who's that coming over the hill?

Christopher Samba, Christopher Samba

Archived