Mario Kart

But I feel like I’m going to miss out ridiculously good games such as;

Assassins Creed

GTA IV

and just in general quality graphics.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wish I never posted in this thread now, it's just packed in on me. And it's not the 3 red lights problem either.

I bought it less than a year ago, anybody know if I can just take it straight back to the shop?

Unlucky mate. I have a PS3 so havent had the red light problem however, I think you have to raise a ticket with Microsoft giving them the serial code and they send you out a box to put it in and send to them. You keep your Hard Drive though I think.

You may not get anything back until after xmas now :angry:

A bloke in work said that his mate sent his back three times. He is pretty sure that they just get them in and send you a different one that they have 'fixed' and not a new one - which I thought was pretty bad

Wish I never posted in this thread now, it's just packed in on me. And it's not the 3 red lights problem either.

I bought it less than a year ago, anybody know if I can just take it straight back to the shop?

Say this:

"Sale of Goods Act 1979"

Take it back and they should replace it. If they don't, keep saying the above words over and over until they replace it. It is your statutory right as you would not expect a next gen console to last less than a year, so there must be an inherant fault.

I took a wireless AV sender back to Argos when it broke after three months and they tried to wriggle out until I kept mentioning the above act. The cheeky cow then said "we don't do it usually but on this occasion we will". I said "You should do it on every occasion as it is the law".

Say this:

"Sale of Goods Act 1979"

Take it back and they should replace it. If they don't, keep saying the above words over and over until they replace it. It is your statutory right as you would not expect a next gen console to last less than a year, so there must be an inherant fault.

I took a wireless AV sender back to Argos when it broke after three months and they tried to wriggle out until I kept mentioning the above act. The cheeky cow then said "we don't do it usually but on this occasion we will". I said "You should do it on every occasion as it is the law".

I looked that act up and armed myself with it's information all ready to cause havok if they refused the swap. Turns out they were fine with it and swapped it no hassle at all. This was Gamestation by the way.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I looked that act up and armed myself with it's information all ready to cause havok if they refused the swap. Turns out they were fine with it and swapped it no hassle at all. This was Gamestation by the way.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Theres all sorts of faults with the 360s not just the rings of death. Ive had a machine that cracked the discs, Ive had a machine that wouldnt open the tray.

My current machine has redlighted once or twice.

Also Ive noticed that the newest machines dont seem to break, they have HDMI ports on them too.

Annoying thing is that in France they say you have to deal with Microsoft rather than the store you bought it from. So if I have a problem I can't simply go to Fnac and get them to replace it, even if it had only been a day old.

Different laws I suppose. Somthing us 360 owning brits should be thankful for.

After all, as someone said you would expect a next gen machine to last a year and TBH Id expect it to last for 3. Microsoft have date stamped all the machines too so they can track it to a particular batch if people lose receipts etc. But if you have a faulty machine its best to go back to the store you got it from first as all they should do is swap it because they can just return the machine to Microsoft for credit (albiet with seals in tact etc).

If anyone does have a problem with their machines you ARE allowed to keep your Hard Drive in exchange for the one on the new machine. I only say this because Argos and Woolies have been known to be VERY difficult about this. If you go through Microsoft they will allow you to keep the HD if you ask.

Also Ive noticed that the newest machines dont seem to break, they have HDMI ports on them too.

Can anyone else confirm this? I'm going to get one in the next few weeks. Surely after all the negative press Microsoft has sorted the problem out on the newest system.

Can anyone else confirm this? I'm going to get one in the next few weeks. Surely after all the negative press Microsoft has sorted the problem out on the newest system.

They've added more cooling over the graphics chip and I haven't seen as many reports of failures. It's probably back in the normal electronics breakdown bracket now.

Having said that, someone found a new error code the other day. 2 green and 2 red lights together. Not sure anyone knows what it means yet. check out Xbox Scene

Just to add that I am so far very happy with mine. Had it 21 months now with no problems. Mine is kept upright (which is said to be the main way disks get scratched) but well ventilated.

Guest Kamy100

Yup the PS3 having no games argument is wearing very thin as Cocker says:

Here are a few that are out/or due out in the next couple of weeks

Motorstorm (still superb)

Haze

Rachet and Clank

Uncharted Drakes Fortune

Add to this other kick ass exclusives due in December and early next year. Then of course there are the multi-format titles such as COD4 and Assassins Creed. Plenty of great games.

"But the online experience is far better on an Xbox" is all I ever get told.

"But is it really worth an extra £40?" I answer.

Much mumbling and looking at feet ensues. Come on people - if you want to play everything online, get a PC. Otherwise, the Xbox and PS3 are evenly matched so far so get whatever most of your mates get - that is what makes an online experience.

"But the online experience is far better on an Xbox" is all I ever get told.

"But is it really worth an extra £40?" I answer.

Much mumbling and looking at feet ensues. Come on people - if you want to play everything online, get a PC. Otherwise, the Xbox and PS3 are evenly matched so far so get whatever most of your mates get - that is what makes an online experience.

I will admit that I have never played a 360 online so what I want to know is - how does the online actually differ anyway?

I've never been a huge online gamer, or even gamer for that fact, but xbox live is worth the money. It makes playing games so much more interesting and allows me to play games for much longer than I would have had I only had the option of playing the single player mode. It's great with friends or against random people. I'd say that now about 80% of the time I'm playing I'm playing online. I didn't buy a 360 thinking I'd have to have live, it wasn't really even a thought and I didn't get it for a long time, but now that I have it I would never stop having it.

But the question is, Eddie, what does Xbox Live do that PSN doesn't? Why is it worth the money?

PSN lets you play online, you can see what friends are doing, you can get demos, patches, add ons, trailers and games, etc. What is it that makes an Xbox Live experience different - what is the unique selling point?

Guest Kamy100

Having had a 360 in the past and payed for Xbox Live and now using PSN for free I would say that PSN is much better simply because you do not have to pay for it. It does everything that Xbox Live does, apart from inviting friends to games and being able to access messages etc. while playing a game, is that difference worth £35? For me no, also I am very sure that these features will be available on PSN in the near future.

Having had a 360 in the past and payed for Xbox Live and now using PSN for free I would say that PSN is much better simply because you do not have to pay for it. It does everything that Xbox Live does, apart from inviting friends to games and being able to access messages etc. while playing a game, is that difference worth £35? For me no, also I am very sure that these features will be available on PSN in the near future.

Yes, the XMB bar in game was meant to be updated with update 2.0 but it didn't happen. It sounds to me like they are holding back a big update to coincide with HOME. This would make sense as you are meant to be able to invite your mates to games from the HOME world.

So, at the moment, if you can currently invite people easier to games with the 360 (which can be a ball ache with some - yes some PS3 games) then fair enough that sounds great however, I think if the PS3 can sort that out as promised then why would someone want to pay to use something on one machine that you can get for free on another?

But the question is, Eddie, what does Xbox Live do that PSN doesn't? Why is it worth the money?

PSN lets you play online, you can see what friends are doing, you can get demos, patches, add ons, trailers and games, etc. What is it that makes an Xbox Live experience different - what is the unique selling point?

Well when you have as many people on PSN as you have on live they'll start to charge you. I've seen as many as 900,000 people playing halo 3 online at one time, so running that costs a lot of money, I would think that is why they charge. As soon as PSN is developed and is really being used you'll start to see them asking you to pay. They know they can't ask you to pay now because it's an inferior product when compared to live, you can say it is maybe only just short of it in terms of functions (still important), but the most important area it is lacking in is the number of players. Plus, you folks are always complaining about how they haven't put up demos and various downloads and how you have to go through the US store, a problem I've never heard of with xbox live. If you really care about online play then the 360 wins by a mile. If you don't, then long-term the PS3 is the better product, problem is, at least in my opinion, by the time long-term comes around we will all be spending our money on xbox 720s and ps4s.

Well when you have as many people on PSN as you have on live they'll start to charge you. I've seen as many as 900,000 people playing halo 3 online at one time, so running that costs a lot of money, I would think that is why they charge. As soon as PSN is developed and is really being used you'll start to see them asking you to pay. They know they can't ask you to pay now because it's an inferior product when compared to live, you can say it is maybe only just short of it in terms of functions (still important), but the most important area it is lacking in is the number of players. Plus, you folks are always complaining about how they haven't put up demos and various downloads and how you have to go through the US store, a problem I've never heard of with xbox live. If you really care about online play then the 360 wins by a mile. If you don't, then long-term the PS3 is the better product, problem is, at least in my opinion, by the time long-term comes around we will all be spending our money on xbox 720s and ps4s.

You raise some good points there Eddie and I know because I have questioned my purchase of my PS3 over a 360 many times already however, when I played the 360 something didnt feel right and I cant say what. Some of the games are the same but still they felt different. It felt like I was going out and sleeping with Jodie Marsh when I had a perfectly good Angelina Jolie at home

Archived