BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Console Wars

We are now past the "early days" for the next gen consoles and should be over the fanboy-idolisation period. Thought it would be interesting to note how happy peeps are with their consoles. Might also help people considering making a purchase before xmas?

Maybe a poll would be useful somthing like:

Have 360 and happy

Have 360 unhappy

Have pS3 happy

etc

Anyway I actually have 360 and Wii.

Love the 360 and spend far too much time on it. Live is great. Only downside for me is the noisy cooling fan .... but it does disappear when you're engrossed in multiplayer!

Think the Wii is a waste of time and TV connections! Crap graphics and gimmicky gameplay. OK for drunken party fun.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a 360 and a wii, happy with both.

The 360 is a great console. Good games out and great for online play. My only concern was the risk of it falling to pieces, but I seem to have been lucky and with the extended warranty that is no longer really an issue.

The wii is great fun with friends, but I can barely play it when I'm alone. I do the fitness test but that is about it. I don't have many games for it, but it is worth it for when playing with others.

I am a PS3 owner.

I love what the PS3 offers and I love what the PS3 will (hopefully) be able to do. I love what the future holds for the PS3.

Love is a very strong word and at the moment I am not in love with my PS3.

I like a couple of the games - which you can also get on the 360. I also like the look of some of the 360 games - Gears of War being the prime example however, at the moment I feel let down by both because when I dreamed of 'next gen' , a statement which makes me shiver I never dreamed of this.

What are we learning from both of these at the moment:-

They can make water look nice

They can make trees look nice

Where are my shades - yes the sun looks nice too

But as for the gameplay, I am yet to see the big step up from the PS2/XBOX.

Like many, I buy the football game each year. When 'next gen' was banded about I bet you all thought "wow, I wonder what the football game will be like" What we have at the moment isnt what we dreamed of is it?

I urge anyone who has a PS3 to buy God of War II and tell me that they are not impressed with it - so much so that its not a 'next gen' game

I am also getting a little sick of saying "great games are coming next month". Yep, the month goes by and games are delayed. I hear myself saying it sometimes and think - shut up you fool.

Anyway, like I say, I think I will love the PS3 in the end and I do think eventually it will triumph but at the moment I still am to be truly amazed - and yes, it hurts me to admit that

If you want next gen, Id have a look at Crysis on the PC.

It utilises DX10 (Need Vista and DX10 compatable graphics card) to make it so so so pretty.

And after playing the demo, its pretty damn good as a game too.

I know it can seem expensive to upgrade the PC but I saw an article on how to get a good one for £500.

Seriously though beating someone to death with a turtle or chicken has never been so much fun, or pretty

Crysis preview

crysis-comparison.jpg

If you want next gen, Id have a look at Crysis on the PC.

Always with the PC pimping!

In my humble and only occasionally wrong opinion, PCs are balls for games. Unless you enjoy playing / are obliged to play in an office, sitting at a desk. Give me a gamepad, a telly and a complete lack of installation hassle any day.

Incidentally, did you know you can get the DX10 effects without running Vista? And other stuff : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=522

On topic, I do like the 360. Shame it's so noisy and shoddily built, but the games are good and it makes a decent enough media centre so I don't have to use the PC for entertainment.

Guest Kamy100

Had a 360 and was very disappointed, not because of the games but the fact that it had to be replaced 3 times, in the end I sold it.

Have a PS3 and am very happy. Lots of good games coming out and I watch lots if Blue Ray movies so it is a good deal for me.

In my humble and only occasionally wrong opinion, PCs are balls for games. Unless you enjoy playing / are obliged to play in an office, sitting at a desk. Give me a gamepad, a telly and a complete lack of installation hassle any day.

Incidentally, did you know you can get the DX10 effects without running Vista? And other stuff : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=522

On topic, I do like the 360. Shame it's so noisy and shoddily built, but the games are good and it makes a decent enough media centre so I don't have to use the PC for entertainment.

aha you're so wrong, If I so wished I could have my PC by the TV, run it on High Def, run Sky through it, control all my media stuff, etc etc etc. Use a joypad, wireless keyboard/key pad and mouse.

And play lots and lots of stuff whilst having great access to the mighty t'interweb.

And its great for games

BF2

BF2142

HLf2

Team Fortress

CoD, CoD2 and soon CoD4

World In Conflict

The C&C series

Ultimate Tournamnet

Supreme Commander

The Total War Series

but you're right PC's are gash at gaming. and arent really easy to upgrade as and when needed.

Anyway I actually have 360 and Wii.

Love the 360 and spend far too much time on it. Live is great. Only downside for me is the noisy cooling fan .... but it does disappear when you're engrossed in multiplayer!

Think the Wii is a waste of time and TV connections! Crap graphics and gimmicky gameplay. OK for drunken party fun.

I have a 360, I love it. Yes I am on my third one but now its got around 300 games for it, it has selection and quality. Yeah theres some crappy games but still nothing beats Fight Night, Halo and Gears especially with the online functions which although you are paying for it, it does offer the best service by far so I cant begrudge that.

I am a PS3 owner.

I love what the PS3 offers and I love what the PS3 will (hopefully) be able to do. I love what the future holds for the PS3.

Love is a very strong word and at the moment I am not in love with my PS3.

I like a couple of the games - which you can also get on the 360. I also like the look of some of the 360 games - Gears of War being the prime example however, at the moment I feel let down by both because when I dreamed of 'next gen' , a statement which makes me shiver I never dreamed of this.

What are we learning from both of these at the moment:-

They can make water look nice

They can make trees look nice

Where are my shades - yes the sun looks nice too

But as for the gameplay, I am yet to see the big step up from the PS2/XBOX.

Like many, I buy the football game each year. When 'next gen' was banded about I bet you all thought "wow, I wonder what the football game will be like" What we have at the moment isnt what we dreamed of is it?

I urge anyone who has a PS3 to buy God of War II and tell me that they are not impressed with it - so much so that its not a 'next gen' game

I am also getting a little sick of saying "great games are coming next month". Yep, the month goes by and games are delayed. I hear myself saying it sometimes and think - shut up you fool.

Anyway, like I say, I think I will love the PS3 in the end and I do think eventually it will triumph but at the moment I still am to be truly amazed - and yes, it hurts me to admit that

I think the PS3 looks a great machine, sadly the developers look to be struggling getting to grips with programming for it so this Christmas is going to be a bit bleak but next year you will have more choice and games coming out. You have got to remember the 360 has had a years head start on it. I think in time the PS3 will be great probably better than the 360. Its already great value at £350 if you want Blu Ray.

My Big Big gripe with the PS3 though is the pad, I hate it. I just feel its too light, too small and one bout of 'PRO EVO RAGE' could lead to it being snapped in half.

Your point about God of War 2 is very valid but it was released at the end of the PS2s reign as top machine for serious gamers so the developers have obviously had around 6 years to get to grips with the hardware and the same will be said towards the end of the PS3 and 360s lifespan.

Football Manager, is still the greatest game on the planet, no flash graphics and I can browse the net whilst playing. I have in the past bought a new PC if the game was not compatable.

Have 360 and couldn't be happier. We've had Halo 3, Gears, Oblivion, Fight Night, Burnout, Dead Rising, Saints Row, and loads of other fantastic games. We've got Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Virtua Fighter, Call of Duty 4 and Kane and Lynch coming THIS MONTH and lots more to come. Couple with Xbox Live, DVD and being able to run all media from your PC it's much more than a games machine. At the end of the day it's about software, compatibility and extended features. I considered a Wii but thought it was a bit of a gimmick and am holding off and the PS3 - too expensive, code is difficult (thus game delays / poor implementations), looks horrible and poor controllers.

I really like the fact you can "upgrade" the 360 if you want. I will get the blu-ray add-on when I get a HDTV, I might upgrade my hard drive then too for TV downloads. I also got the mike and wireless adapter a few weeks ago when I got on Xbox Live. I didn't and might never have needed any of these when I bought it so why include stuff some customers might not need and drive the price up?

The 360 isn't perfect, esp the 3 red lights problem (I've had it once) but MS response was very good to the problem. Best of the bunch though and wouldn't swap for anyhting else.

Or get it for £99 online (or Collect at store) from PC World, download the voucher from xbox.com and claim 5 free HD-DVD's (before 31-01-08).

You can choose 2 from: Serenity, Children of Men, Chronicles of Riddick, Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift & Hulk

2 from: Troy, The Prestige, Full Metal Jacket, Swordfish & Corpse Bride

1 from: Black Rain, Dreamgirls, World Trade Center

And remember, the HD add-on works out of the box on PC's with Windows Vista you just need a compatible player (powerdvd etc) and at least a dual core processor.

Ex Sony Fan boy who's very happy with his 360 and not after a PS3 at all. It's all relative becuase I still spend ten times more time playing World Of Warcraft on my old laptop than I do on my 360.

Funnily enough i was just talking about games with someone and whats asking what is World of Warcraft like? have heard a lot about it but have never actually ever played it. Does it require a mega fast pc?

Eddie's not wrong. I know somebody that still plays it under Windows 98 (all be it slowly) and I play it on a three year only laptop with on board graphics. The only concession to speed is I put 2Gb of memory in it. So no, it needs a pretty low spec PC.

He more not wrong about the second part. Your first few months, it's just like any other game. However by the point that normally, intrest would starts to wane, WoW has hooked you into the who social side of the game and it starts becoming one big online community first and a game second.

There are free 20 day trials available on www.wow-europe.com (and www.trywarcraft.com I think), but be warned, if once you get into the game part, most people reach an addicition level with it. It's not called Warcrack for nothing.

Archived