BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nickos Thread

nicko

I am more worried about Sparky going to United then anyone else. If United win the double this season, alot of united fans reckon Fergie might retire and go out on a high, with Hughes being the favourite to take over

I don't think Hughes is a big enough name with a good enough CV to be the successor at Old Trafford.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a chance that Hughes would be the favourite at this point.

just going off what alot United fans keep saying, he's never going to win the PL or CL at Blackburn so i don't think his next club are going to look at that on his CV.

I've been trying to work out what Ashley wants from Newcastle, ever since he bought it. He is known as a very good businessman and his past would suggest he wants to see some kind of ROI from the club, unless his is doing it for the love of the game.

The more I think about it, the more I think the money is to be made on the players they bring in.

There is HUGE amounts of money to be made on player transfers, just some rough examples, don't bite my head of with regard to the figures and the idea ;)

If he wanted to make money that way he would be better off buying a smaller club and a very very good scouting network. As it is with Newcastle the absolute bottom line is whatever you recieve in transfer fees you have to spend on new players. In fact you are probably expected to spend at least double it on transfers otherwise the fans will get you out.

I can't remeber the last time Newcastle sold a player for decent money. Yet they sign players for buckets every season.

Doubt has been thrown up as to whether Ashley is really that much of a newcastle fan. But realistically there is no way he can make money on it unless the clubs value increases dramatically and he sells it. This is possible but he would need to get them into the CL and at least give the impression that he had permanently positioned them there. As this entails taking out one of Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea plus beating Villa, City, Rovers, Spurs and Everton to the punch, whilst TV and prize revenues continue to maintain their level or increase it is, you might say, a pretty risky investment.

The rapid replacement of Managers all over Europe both clubs and national sides, means there are a lot of big names who aren't employed yet.

Scolari, Mourinho, SGE, Frank Rijkaard (probably) to name a few.

Mourinho is the only manager i would have taking over from Hughes, from that list

Definately wouldn't touch Rijkaard, he's built a bit of a reputation simply because he managed Barcelona. You don't have to be a genius to make that side decent, but you aren't very good if you don't have that side playing pretty brilliantly.

It is arguable that after 20+ years of Ferguson and the lack of real sustained success by foreign imported coaches (2 exceptions aside- Wenger and Mourinho) the Man Utd board could opt for a continuity where someone like Hughes is taken on for the long haul rather than getting into the disasterous system of chopping and changing every five minutes which is often what happens.

It is what I would go for if I was them. Providing I thought Hughes was of sufficient talent. Which is probably where they might not go for it.

Queiroz is waiting in the wings remember.

Definately wouldn't touch Rijkaard, he's built a bit of a reputation simply because he managed Barcelona. You don't have to be a genius to make that side decent, but you aren't very good if you don't have that side playing pretty brilliantly.

So the guy can't do right really? They play well and win the CL & League and he is just making a team play well. Yet he fails for 1 season and he's not even a good manager.

It is difficult getting egos to perform, that's why Real Madrid have done so well, they have got rid of the egos and got in a team. I'm not sure on who has control of the transfers for Barca but I'd be willing to bet it isn't Rijkaard.

You don't turn into bad manager in one season and he would do a decent job with alot of other clubs imo.

It is arguable that after 20+ years of Ferguson and the lack of real sustained success by foreign imported coaches (2 exceptions aside- Wenger and Mourinho) the Man Utd board could opt for a continuity where someone like Hughes is taken on for the long haul rather than getting into the disasterous system of chopping and changing every five minutes which is often what happens.

It is what I would go for if I was them. Providing I thought Hughes was of sufficient talent. Which is probably where they might not go for it.

Queiroz is waiting in the wings remember.

Look at what happend to the last two assitant manager thats left United!!

Queiroz did so well when he went to Real Madrid that he hightailed it back to Manure :D But McClaren did alright at 'boro but not so good when at England, and Kidd, well would rather not talk about that bit :(

So the guy can't do right really? They play well and win the CL & League and he is just making aplay well. Yet he fails for 1 season and he's not even a good manager.

It is difficult getting egos to perform, that's why Real Madrid have done so well, they have got rid of the egos and got in a team. I'm not sure on who has control of the transfers for Barca but I'd be willing to bet it isn't Rijkaard.

You don't turn into bad manager in one season and he would do a decent job with alot of other clubs imo.

I wasn't particularly impressed by him before the troubles. You can win, I'm impressed by Ferguson, Wenger and Grant, yet not impressed by Benitez despite the fact that he has a Champions League winners medal. With big clubs you really have to look beyond what they've won and look how they've been run, I don't think he's ever been really on top of things there.

I've been trying to work out what Ashley wants from Newcastle, ever since he bought it. He is known as a very good businessman and his past would suggest he wants to see some kind of ROI from the club, unless his is doing it for the love of the game.

The more I think about it, the more I think the money is to be made on the players they bring in.

There is HUGE amounts of money to be made on player transfers, just some rough examples, don't bite my head of with regard to the figures and the idea ;)

Bentley

Cost under £1m, Now worth £10m +

Santa Cruz

Cost £3.8m, Now worth £10m

Samba

Cost £400k, Now worth £5m 'ish?

Others

Berbatov

Cost - £10.9m, Now worth £20m +

Valencia

Cost - £3m, Now worth £8m +

Palacios

Cost - £1m, Now worth £7m +

Modric would of cost Newcastle about £18m, a lot of Europe’s massive clubs have been looking at him, in a year or two, he could be worth £25m+ if he works well in the Premier League.

Im not saying he would completely turn Newcastle into a selling club, but it could make the transfer side self sufficient for the London branch to bring in this kind of player, and then move a few on in the future for profit.

It would then leave the merchandise and match day revenue as profit, I am aware that some of the season ticket sales money, gos towards payments back on the Stadium, but the merchandise side is worth a lot, as well as sponsorship.

Keegan will probably be allowed to bring in 2 or 3 big names this summer, just not the 5-6 he wants.

Just my thoughts, but it's a business model that could work for a 'big' club outside of the top 4.

Mike Ashley has paid for the stadium already.

He definitely wants players who will rise in value but I don't think it's to sell them to make money, it's more to do with him knowing the club will have little chance of signing a Modric for example a few years down the line but would stand a decent chance now with none of the big boys prepared to take a chance, similar to how Werder Bremen managed to sign Diego.

It's a similar policy to Spurs in that if the player doesn't work out then 9 times out of 10 they can still get good money back for the player, unlike previous seasons at Newcastle where we've lost big sums of money on under performing players, Keegan on the other hand seems to prefer an established player like Thierry Henry who is slowly on the way down.

Mike Ashley has paid for the stadium already.

I wasn't aware that he had paid that debt off, it was built into season ticket sales, which was for the extension to the Milburn stand and Leazes end.

If he has then he only owns one stand, the rest belongs to the council.

I wasn't aware that he had paid that debt off, it was built into season ticket sales, which was for the extension to the Milburn stand and Leazes end.

If he has then he only owns one stand, the rest belongs to the council.

He's paid all of the clubs debts off, when he bought the club it triggered off a clause that the banks could demand to be paid up in full for the stadium expansion, the rest he paid off because it was costing too much in interest payments.

I haven't heard that he only owns one stand, as far as I was aware he owns the building but the council own part of the land it's on, I know they bought up the land around the ground (above the metro) so they can develop the gallowgate in the future and build an hotel and apartments.

There's an interesting article on the beeb about the fall of PSG from one of the biggest clubs in Europe to being on the verge of relegation from ligue 1. They have UEFA qualification from winning the french league cup and are in the final of the other domestic cup competition, but they could end up playing second division football next season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7388386.stm

I wonder if there is any possible players worth looking at, especially taking into account the useage of relegation release clauses. Thats if they go down of course.

There's an interesting article on the beeb about the fall of PSG from one of the biggest clubs in Europe to being on the verge of relegation from ligue 1. They have UEFA qualification from winning the french league cup and are in the final of the other domestic cup competition, but they could end up playing second division football next season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7388386.stm

I wonder if there is any possible players worth looking at, especially taking into account the useage of relegation release clauses. Thats if they go down of course.

Newcastle were looking at their young defender Sakho, N'Gog is another youngster they've got who's supposed to be pretty good.

Bernard Mendy's still there too, he was on loan at Bolton a few years back.

I wasn't particularly impressed by him before the troubles. You can win, I'm impressed by Ferguson, Wenger and Grant, yet not impressed by Benitez despite the fact that he has a Champions League winners medal. With big clubs you really have to look beyond what they've won and look how they've been run, I don't think he's ever been really on top of things there.

Wenger who hasn't won a cup/league in how long now? He has a good team but a team that doesn't win when it counts.

Ferguson who has to be one of the elite managers and even he had a spell where people doubted his ability to take them forward.

Grant imo is a poor excuse for a manager, I think the coaches deserve the credit for there success this season.

Benitez is a typical spanish manager, has his priorities all wrong. He doens't have the charisma of the others and imo is not good enough to be in the elite group of managers.

Eric Carriere who would have been ace in our team,unfortunately he is too old now..

anybody know where Maroun Chamak might go to?and we could look at Samir Nasri and Mamadou Niang at Marseille....some good african players.dont know what they would go for though :wacko:

Archived