BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nickos Thread

nicko

Ok Theres nothing about withdrawing a contract, however isnt it just another spin, on Les Walsh's article in your paper, dated 27th April 2008, which reported that Hughes would stick Bentley in the stiffs.

LINK

I think I'll stick with Mark Hughes comments on the 4th April. and I quote.

At the end of the day he(Bentley) has three years left on his contract.

The only people who will make the decision on whether or not David Bentley leaves is myself and the chairman.

Weve had this conversation - hes not leaving so thats the end of the story.

We offered him a new contract just to illustrate the progress he's made this year.

Its not a case that the young man is out of contract..

If Bentley has stated he really wants to go & the club receives a bid matching their valuation , he will be sold. Irrespective of what they said about not been allowed to move previously. It just the way that football has become , player & agent power is far more potent that contracts and an individual clubs determination to keep hold of there best players. You wouldn’t expect the club to state that Bentley will be sold: during the crucial April period .

A similar situation is happening at Arsenal with Hleb. He plays for one the top sides in Europe , and have reportedly offered him a large pay increase to stay, yet he has decided he wants off ( with help from his agent) to Inter and there is little his manager or club can do to stop it from happening.

Lets look at the bright side, at least he isn’t in the last year of his contract and we will receive a very large sum, if he does leave.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We can't either way. 4th is a pipe dream, at least for the forseeable future.

If we sell him and don't replace him adequately we could find ourselves slipping down the table without a creative force in midfield.

Do you think that would happen though? The warning signs must have been flashing in Hughes' head when he first stalled on the deal. He's probably got a a list of replacements ready to act on should he leave. It would be foolish to think otherwise in my opinion....especially with Sparky.

There has been a major development - the withdrawing of a massive contract offer.

As I say, find that mentioned elsewhere please.

That is called news.

The People thought so...

"Blackburn will tell England star David Bentley to sign a new mega-bucks deal this week"

So which is true? The withdrawing of a massive contract offer or the threat to make a threat? ;)

Its funny that some people wil believe,###### from websites like tribal football,yet they jump on a guy(nicko)thats been nothing short of brilliant.if u want a journalist that wil give u the news u want to hear,speak to Mark Hughes,Grooby or JW.journalist are all the same,and if u dont agree with nicko then thats fine,its ur opinion.but dont slag off the guy,whenever he reports bad news,and be a hypocrite and come back and praise the guy when what he said was true.

"Blackburn will tell England star David Bentley to sign a new mega-bucks deal this week"

So which is true? The withdrawing of a massive contract offer or the threat to make a threat? ;)

If he does not sign in the next few days the contract - and the rise - will be off the table.

The cat will be out of the bag that Bentley does not plan to stay and the news breaks and any bidder starts showing their hand.

A good move by the club for reasons stated earlier.

Do you think that would happen though? The warning signs must have been flashing in Hughes' head when he first stalled on the deal. He's probably got a a list of replacements ready to act on should he leave. It would be foolish to think otherwise in my opinion....especially with Sparky.

It's much more likely to happen than us hitting 4th place if Bentley stays.

Sure we might have a list of replacements but currently we can't attract someone who we know is as good as Bentley (ie someone good enough to get into the England side or a foreign player of a similar level), so anything would always be a bit of a gamble. Maybe it would come off, maybe it wouldn't...

For those who think 4th place would be out of reach,we are only 15 points off Liverpool,if we could sustain the form of pre november throughout the season by having a bigger squad,then personally i think it is possible.An extra 3 QUALITY players may well make the difference.

BNSG

The £50K a week will pay the wages of one of them, (not Sidwell who wants more), Sav's money is in part paying Vogel, the £15m increment for the first year is already gone- as John Williams explained in his accounts Rovers spent a chunk of it in advance in 06/7 and now they are paying down their borrowings to a more manageable level whilst wages have grown from £31m to a budgetted £40m for the current squad and football management over two seasons.

The £10m transfer budget for this summer is taken from factoring next season's £15m extra or what's left of it after players' wages.

So your hypothesis doesn't work sadly.

For those who think 4th place would be out of reach,we are only 15 points off Liverpool,if we could sustain the form of pre november throughout the season by having a bigger squad,then personally i think it is possible.An extra 3 QUALITY players may well make the difference.

15 points is a massive gap.

Liverpool have had a poor season by their standards and they'll have yet more money to spend this summer.

Hughes might be a great manager but he's not a miracle worker.

Exactly. If it was as you say it would be a fact worth reporting but if it was "Bentley might sign a new contract or he might leave" we would know that anyway so it would be lazy jounalism and a waste of time. It's the Sunday People and the like I'm having a go at not this site.

Where was the 'might' in the story?

It is pretty black and white if you want to have a look.

Around 500 words, plenty of 'wills' and 'haves' mind you.

BNSG

The £50K a week will pay the wages of one of them, (not Sidwell who wants more), Sav's money is in part paying Vogel, the £15m increment for the first year is already gone- as John Williams explained in his accounts Rovers spent a chunk of it in advance in 06/7 and now they are paying down their borrowings to a more manageable level whilst wages have grown from £31m to a budgetted £40m for the current squad and football management over two seasons.

The £10m budget for this season is taken from factoring next season's £15m extra or what's left of it after players' wages.

So your hypothesis doesn't work sadly.

Philip the Maths is quite simple

15million from Bentley, 10 million that we believe will be available for transfers. 2-3 million saved from Bentleys wages ( Vogel will not be on anywhere near Savs wages which were amongst the highest at the clubs).

We sign 3 players for a combined fee of around 18 million. Giving them each a contact of 2million, gives us plenty of wiggle room.

As for a statement of the has already spent the majority of the 15 million extra TV revenue; is plainly you again exaggerating “to get your point across”. The club budgeted for a 10th place finish we will finish in the top 8: an extra 3 million for starters. And whilst I believe that the club have spent around 2-3 million of this income on the Roque transfer they have not spent anywhere near the amount you proclaiming.

The trouble is with you and others of your ilk , is that you are so Rovers centric ; you believe that there is no good players to be had ,apart from what we already have and what’s already in prem.

The club are making a huge mistake by only asking for £15m for Bentley, if that is indeed the case.

With Wright-Phillips going for £21m two seasons ago and with Liverpool themselves demanding £15m for Crouch (don't get me started on that one) then we should be looking nearer the £20m mark. It's as if our players are seen as cheaper alternatives and easier to buy.

With no ready made replacement for Bentley, a large chunk of that transfer fee will go on finding a replacement and that player will no doubt be far inferior.

15 points is a massive gap.

Liverpool have had a poor season by their standards and they'll have yet more money to spend this summer.

Hughes might be a great manager but he's not a miracle worker.

But....this isnt the only bad season that Liverpool have had in recent years....which leads me to think that 4th is their level in the prem, especially with Rafa in charge.

The top 3 are pulling away from liverpool in the league leaving them stranded between Arsenal, utd and chelsea, and the chasing pack (including ourselves). I think we (the chasing pack) will close the gap on them before they close the gap on the top 3

BSNG has not read last year's accounts and chairman's comments.

Re Vogel, if he gets back to anything like his PSV form, you can be sure there will be a Nelsen-esque reqward. If he doesn't the club will be shopping for a replacement.

Either eventuality will be in the forward projections and Vogel for sure will not be being paid in fresh air even now.

But....this isnt the only bad season that Liverpool have had in recent years....which leads me to think that 4th is their level in the prem, especially with Rafa in charge.

The top 3 are pulling away from liverpool in the league leaving them stranded between Arsenal, utd and chelsea, and the chasing pack (including ourselves). I think we (the chasing pack) will close the gap on them before they close the gap on the top 3

Last season they were 21 points behind the top, this season they're 11 points behind. I'd say that represents them closing the gap somewhat...

4th is a completely unrealistic expectation which has no chance of happening unless something dramatic happens at one of the big clubs.

BSNG has not read last year's accounts and chairman's comments.

Neither have you pippy, their no where within the JW statement where he states the club the already spent the majority of 15m from this seasons extra rev.

So what is your point: we dont have the 10m that Nicko is proclaiming or if we get 15m from the Bentley sale we shoudn't spent it?

Again take off of your Premiership tinted specs: Benni & Roque were brourght from outside the prem for peanuts , with no proir Prem experience : they havent done too badly have they?

The trouble is with you and others of your ilk , is that you are so Rovers centric ; you believe that there is no good players to be had ,apart from what we already have and what’s already in prem.

Don't be silly.

Neither have you pippy, their no where within the JW statement where he states the club the already spent the majority of 15m from this seasons extra rev.

Neither reading nor writing are a strength of your's are they?

end_nigh.jpg

Meanwhile..... BLACKBURN ROVERS - 'featuring David Bentley', could qualify for Europe this afternoon!

If he wants to leave then more fool him. Then again don't believe all you read in the paper. After all why issue ultimatums now? Wouldn't you wait until Monday before upsetting Dave? I would.

More important news this week is that I'll be able to buy a mini kit for the back of my car next season.

Players come and go, obviously I wish we could keep the better ones but what can you do when you're punching above your weight with the only willy we've got and lady luck playing silly beggers?

See you next season. :brfc:

Archived