BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Restore Founder's Grave

Regarding his refereeing career this for me seems to get little mention, but John Lewis achieved alot in shaping the game, most importantly for me his influence is seen in todays game is that he was responsible for introducing and implementing two assistant referees (linesmen)in each half and having a neutral referee who became the sole controller of the game as opposed to having an umpire from each club in either half to officiate matches of the past.

John Lewis refereed in THREE FA Cup finals 1895,1897,1898, who else has done that ? and earned the title 'Prince of Referees' remarkable stuff from our founder member.

He also founded along with two others the Lancashire Football Association in 1878, and pioneered the Blackburn Referees Association 1899 one of the oldest refereeing associations in the world.

John founded many other refereeing associations and was also an ambassador for this country in taking the game to places overseas such as South Africa and Australia, if, only he knew how big the game would become world wide.

A truly remarkable man.

• 4 weeks later...
John founded many other refereeing associations and was also an ambassador for this country in taking the game to places overseas such as... Australia, if, only he knew how big the game would become world wide.

Do you have any sources that make mention of this? I've read quite a lot about the history of the game in Australia, but haven't come across his name anywhere, at least from memory. :)

Do you have any sources that make mention of this? I've read quite a lot about the history of the game in Australia, but haven't come across his name anywhere, at least from memory. :)

My source is from the Blackburn Referees Association centenary booklet 1899-1999, the Australian reference bit is that he went to Australia as an ambassador of the FA along with the international side and gave advice on refereeing in Australia he didnt form the game over there he just had an imput in the early 1920's as to how the game should be officiated.

Apologies for any confusion, Pm me if you want to know anymore not that i know much more :wacko:

Thanks. I just wanted to know some information on whatever input/influence he had in Australia. I figured from the dates in the Wiki profile that he couldn't have travelled to the other side of the world until after 1900 or thereabouts. The English influence on the game was huge pre-WWII, from what I understand, and it is interesting to see John Lewis played a small part in that. Any information I can gather could come in handy in the future. In fact I am writing a thesis (in the very early stages of writing since I am still completing course work) on more recent developments in football in Australia, but I am immersed in a lot of the literature, since I need to have a strong knowledge of earlier history as well.

That booklet seems like a useful historical source, regardless of the presumably small Australian mention, so I would be interested in acquiring a copy. I suppose contacting the Blackburn Referees Association is in order.

Regarding his refereeing career this for me seems to get little mention, but John Lewis achieved alot in shaping the game, most importantly for me his influence is seen in todays game is that he was responsible for introducing and implementing two assistant referees (linesmen)in each half and having a neutral referee who became the sole controller of the game as opposed to having an umpire from each club in either half to officiate matches of the past.

John Lewis refereed in THREE FA Cup finals 1895,1897,1898, who else has done that ? and earned the title 'Prince of Referees' remarkable stuff from our founder member.

He also founded along with two others the Lancashire Football Association in 1878, and pioneered the Blackburn Referees Association 1899 one of the oldest refereeing associations in the world.

John founded many other refereeing associations and was also an ambassador for this country in taking the game to places overseas such as South Africa and Australia, if, only he knew how big the game would become world wide.

A truly remarkable man.

You;re quite right JAL - might be an idea to add some of that to the Wiki if you had chance to?

Thanks. I just wanted to know some information on whatever input/influence he had in Australia. I figured from the dates in the Wiki profile that he couldn't have travelled to the other side of the world until after 1900 or thereabouts. The English influence on the game was huge pre-WWII, from what I understand, and it is interesting to see John Lewis played a small part in that. Any information I can gather could come in handy in the future. In fact I am writing a thesis (in the very early stages of writing since I am still completing course work) on more recent developments in football in Australia, but I am immersed in a lot of the literature, since I need to have a strong knowledge of earlier history as well.

That booklet seems like a useful historical source, regardless of the presumably small Australian mention, so I would be interested in acquiring a copy. I suppose contacting the Blackburn Referees Association is in order.

Ill see if i can get hold of a spare copy for you early next week if possible, ok.

Archived