BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The One Day Cricket International Today...

A bit of controversy today as two players collided and the batsman was stumped and given out. In normal times the captain of the English side would have asked the Umpires to call the player back onto the pitch even though, because the collision was accidental it is a legitimate stumping, He chose to accept the decision to have him out. In the end, for those who did not watch it or like cricket, New Zealand won because a stupid overthrow and won by one wicket. Do you think Collingwood was right to do what he did in this "win at all cost era" or should he have gone with the traditions of fair play that is supposed to be cricket..Would have the New Zealand captain have done the same thing in the same position?..Cricket is catching up to Rugby and Football as far as a winning mentality is concerned.

Elliot got up and started running for the wicket, England were quite entitled to run him out, however they should have called dead ball and played the game again. Its hardly the end of the world, I'd even go as far as to say its nowhere near as bad sportsmanship as not walking when its quite evident you edged it.

Elliot got up and started running for the wicket, England were quite entitled to run him out, however they should have called dead ball and played the game again

That would have taken ages - it would have got dark.

Elliot got up and started running for the wicket, England were quite entitled to run him out, however they should have called dead ball and played the game again. Its hardly the end of the world, I'd even go as far as to say its nowhere near as bad sportsmanship as not walking when its quite evident you edged it.

Today's incident was no surprise .... cricket is as bad as football now for cheating.

Whether it's batsmen knowingly edging a ball and not walking ; bowlers appealing for lbw just because it hits the batsman's pads (never mind going 2ft down the leg side) ; wicketkeepers appealing for catches when they know darned well the batsman has not touched it ; fielders claiming catches when they know the ball has grounded ; even fielders appealing for lbw decisions from square leg for god's sake, it's all cheating in my book.

Add in the childish and constant sledging of batsmen and modern Test cricket is often an unedifying spectacle that would have been unthinkable back in the 1950s and 1960s. Hail Colin Cowdrey, Brian Statham and the gentlemen cricketers of yore.

Of course some countries are worse than others (guess who ?) but they are all guilty and the ICC should have cracked down on it long ago.

Golf is perhaps the only major sport where etiquette, manners and the ethic of the game are still important. Long may it continue.

I was more amazed that they actually lost the game on an overthrow.

Surely the moment the batsmen hit the ball, anyone on the leg side should have ben charging around behind the stumps as it was always likely someone would take a shy at them.

i never saw a replay of the full field but I bet the leg side fielders just stood still watching until the ball was thrown at the stumps.

Yeah the batsman Elliot should have been allowed to stay in, so Collingwood and England shouldn't have appealed. Neither player was to blame for what happened Sidebottom was running for the ball and Elliot was following the natural running path and it just resulted in them taking each other out. Personally yes I'd say this is a form of 'cheating', funny how there's the shock reaction from commentators and crowd when something like this happens in cricket as it is unusual whereas in football you see some sort of cheating in nearly every game nowadays and no one seems to raise an eyebrow anymore.

In someways I'm glad England didn't win because they'd be banging on about it for days on end and I swear Vettori might have come out and landed a right hook on Collingwood if England had won it on that last ball, after all he didn't even shake hands with the England team even though his team had won. The last ball itself, my word what the hell where England doing? The fielder (Bell I think it was) was correct to try and hit the stumps because the game was there to be won and a direct hit would have seen England win. But the England fielders that should have been backing up all rushed towards the stumps like exicted schoolboys, not one of them had the sense to back-up and ensure England tied should the ball by-pass the wickets and other fielders but in the end there was three or four players around the stumps yet not one of them managed to stop the ball. Some cynical people may say that some of the England players were still feeling guilty about the Elliot dismal and therefore happened to forget to back-up and hence allowing New Zealand to win (bit far-fetched that probably).

Overall the game wasn't that entertaining until the Elliot dismal and then the last couple of overs, but thoose two indicents certainly made it a dramatic climax. Also I think Sky's coverage of the cricket is excellent inparticularly David 'Bumble' Lloyd is a bit of a legend.

It was an accidental collision so you play on. As Jim said it's not dissimilar from refusing to walk, appealing for everything and sledging.

Vettori's a muppet though - what little respect I had for him has gone after his antics on the balcony yesterday.

It was an accidental collision so you play on. As Jim said it's not dissimilar from refusing to walk, appealing for everything and sledging.

Vettori's a muppet though - what little respect I had for him has gone after his antics on the balcony yesterday.

Totally the wrong attitude. It was an accidental collision so England should have just called it a dead ball and got on with the game. As an England fan it was embarrassing to watch and I was glad that New Zealand won in the end.

Collingwood should be applauded for coming out after the game and apologising but it wouldn't have meant much if Swann had hit the stumps off that last ball and England had won the game. Vettori had every right to react the way he did and was very gracious after the game - he could have made a much bigger deal of the whole affair than he did.

true but NZ have a bit of previous with Murali getting run out last year. Not the same, but similar enough.

Collingwood's likely to be banned for a while due to run rates anyway.

On a side note, anyone been going to the Twenty20's?

On a side note, anyone been going to the Twenty20's?

I've been to a couple at Edgbaston (Fri and Sun) but missed the thriller on Tuesday.

I'm going again tonight and have high hopes of a decent game. Glamorgan might have the quality to cope with Warwickshire's attack and make a game of it.

It has just been announced on Sky Collingwood has been banned for four one day international matches because of the slow over rate...I reckon there may be a hint of appeasment in this..

I went on sunday and I'm going tomorrow night. And if Im lucky I can get close enough to throttle that screeching bint from BRMB

I'll be trying it tonight if she's parked her bloody dunk-tank in front of the Hollies tonight!

I saw the incident yesterday and was saddened that the player was out but what if that incident happened in this £10m game in the West Indies, which player is going to compromise that kind of money for the 'spirit of the game'? Also, what would the fallout be if that game was lost in the same way as yesterday's, a poor piece of fielding off the last ball costing players £500k each? This kind of money will kill the game.

It's really bad when I'm agreeing with Jim, he is totally spot on. Things have changed even in the 25 or so years since I started watching cricket.

Although I bet the reaction to this incident on the message board would be a a lot louder if it was an Australian player running involved in the run out. <_<

Archived