BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pennant

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally would have him at Ewood but 6 Million?.....the scallies did us over not so long ago with Bellamy,surely not again!

The scallies didn't do us over, it was a clause in his contract at 6.5 million and it's happened all over the place with other footballers, we've benefitted from similar clauses with other players too. We still made over 2 mill on the Welsh gnome.... 44% return in a season, pretty cool. And like most players that leave Rovers, we had the best of him too ! As Zurab's cousin says in his film, "great success!!"

Look at Ellington when he left Wigan; his clause was anything over 3 million - West Brom put in a bid for 3 mill plus one pence......

I for one would be quite encouraged by the signing of Pennant even at 6million.

For an English player who has got a champions league medal to his name its not really a bad price. To put it another way is Bentley really 3 times the player that Pennant is?

His pace is exactly what this team needs and I think that Gamst and him could work well especilly on the counter attack which is an aspect of our game that we really have lacked since Bellamy's departure.

Arsenal in for Alonso but want the price lowered from 18 million. I imagine if it's lowered half of Europe will be in there. Obviously we never had a n ice cream is hells chance of him signing for us under any circumstances but thought it was relevant to a few of the (surreal) pages earlier in this thread...

I was thinking about it from the other side Hughesy. Xabi Alonso is tailor made for Arsenal - much more so than Gareth Barry is. If I were Wenger I'd be very happy to get Alonso (probably at a fair bit cheaper than £16m), and if it means Liverpool overpay for Barry, all the better.

If I were Benitez, I'd not touch this deal with a barge pole. Makes some funny decisions though, doesn't he?

£16m for Alonso according to todays press with Rumours he is set for Arsenal. Would Arsenal help their rival out? Surely they should look elsewhere and leave Liverpool struggling for cash?

I can't see how it helps Liverpool if they spend the money they receive for Alonso on Gareth Barry. I only see Arsenal as the winners in that one...

What does everyone else think of this transfer?

I was thinking about it from the other side Hughesy. Xabi Alonso is tailor made for Arsenal - much more so than Gareth Barry is. If I were Wenger I'd be very happy to get Alonso (probably at a fair bit cheaper than £16m), and if it means Liverpool overpay for Barry, all the better.

If I were Benitez, I'd not touch this deal with a barge pole. Makes some funny decisions though, doesn't he?

Liverpool want Barry badly and quickly, Gerrard is desperate to play with him. I for one reckon Rafa will do it TBH, no-one else is looking maybe Inter. Keeping Gerrard Happy is a key focus for liverpool along with Torres. A midfield 3 of Mascherano, Barry and Gerrard sounds quite potent and has great balance.

Pool need to raise 17M for barry, so if they can get say 14M, it leaves less to generate and in turn may allow us to get Pennant for less than 5M?? Who knows?

when performing for birmingham jermaine pennant earned himself a move to liverpool-a top 4 club who regular appear in champs league..

when performing for blackburn david bentley moved to tottenham-a team who dont even play in champs league..

david bentley is a top footballer, but there must be a reason why pennant got a move to liverpool and bentley only to tottenham..

fact is-given a chance pennant can be a top winger-yeh he is inconsistent, but given a run of games i think he could quite easily replace bentley-pace, decent at crossing and can take players on..

i personally think he is the best we can hope for-plus he's played in the league and knows what it is about..

rafa benitez payed money to sign robbie fowler = no

rafa benitez payed money to sign pennant = yes- why because like bentley did this season he performed brilliantly for birmingham earning himself a move-plus i reckon liverpool only signed fowler to say a proper goodbye to the fans..

realistically there is no one available who is in our reach that could be better then pennant..

So save the money until someone worthwhile comes up.

Nothing annoys me more than when big money is spent on mediocre replacements just for the sake of it.

Stick Emerton there and review the options in January. You never know what can happen between now and then.

realistically there is no one available who is in our reach that could be better then pennant..

Aaron Lennon? Would likely cost less than £10m and is a quality player. Also James Mcfadden and Larsson are good players from Brum at lower prices. Agree though dont sign cocky lazy Pennant.

So save the money until someone worthwhile comes up.

Nothing annoys me more than when big money is spent on mediocre replacements just for the sake of it.

Stick Emerton there and review the options in January. You never know what can happen between now and then.

Have to agree.

There is no point spending for the sake of spending.

If we bought Pennant and things did not work out, then what, we end out selling him.

Probably losing money into the bargain. :wacko:

Archived