BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pennant

That's far too attacking, we'll never be playing that.

Remove Derbyshire and put in Emerton/Reid/Vogel alongside A.N.Other in the centre and you'll probably be about right.

would'nt say that its anymore attacking than say evertons line up, arteta, cahill, pienaar, neville................Really don't want us playing 2 or even 3 holding types like liverpool. Try picking a spuds midfield that ain't attacking and keeps bentley, modric, dos santos, and lennon happy.

there is a time and a place for picking negative sides i.e against united and chelsea, but we have to look to beat everyone else and entertain way more than last season!

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
would'nt say that its anymore attacking than say evertons line up, arteta, cahill, pienaar, neville

It's far more attacking than Everton's, you have two up-front for a start whereas they usually play one. There would be nothing negative about a 4-2-3-1 formation incorporating two holding players, plenty of attacking teams play like that.

If Villanueva is to play a playmaking role then we have to use a formation like that, we can't have two strikers. Otherwise he'll have to play out wide.

It's far more attacking than Everton's, you have two up-front for a start whereas they usually play one. There would be nothing negative about a 4-2-3-1 formation incorporating two holding players, plenty of attacking teams play like that.

If Villanueva is to play a playmaking role then we have to use a formation like that, we can't have two strikers. Otherwise he'll have to play out wide.

Thats exactly how I wanna see us play.

Anyways back to the discussion, been chatting to a pal in greece and he suggested this player.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=_RO9f59eN1k

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HQEgtGp9EXY&...feature=related

I know he cost Olympiakos 6.5M euros so he maybe in our price range.

If anyone actually rates Pennant and posts positive comments about him, I take as a moral and psychological affront. It makes me sad. :(

I truly believe Pennant is a Championship-level player. How he's managed to garner any sort of footballing reputation is absolutely beyond me; he has done absolutely nothing except get relegated then sit on benches.

AVOID. :angry:

Pennant is not near good enough to replace the outgoing player.

Just checked back and Bentley only contributed 6 League goals last season. And we barely noticed him after New Year.

Good player when he's so minded but this is far from a "having to replace Shearer" type situation, or even , dare I say it, Duff at his peak.

He has pace.

Quick feet.

Above average cross and pass.

Can beat his man.

Puts in work on the defensive end.

He is still only 25.

He wouldn't be my first choice as I am sure that with the money we have and a good search we could find a really good player, but if we end up with him for a decent price then I don't think we will have done badly.

Just checked back and Bentley only contributed 6 League goals last season. And we barely noticed him after New Year.

Good player when he's so minded but this is far from a "having to replace Shearer" type situation, or even , dare I say it, Duff at his peak.

Its not just the goal threat, it is the profile also. Pennant is hardly going to draw out defenders and alter tactics like Bentley was last season.

I in no way shape or form believe Bentley's treachery will have the effect that Shearer's did, nor Duff.

I don't think anyone is doubting the quality of Pennant. He must have been good for Liverpool to fork out £6million for him. I think we would all be happy if he came to Rovers FOR A REASONABLE PRICE, such as £3 million.

If we sign Pennant it will be no way near as low as that. IF they did sell that cheap they must seriously know something we do not.

Profile? You can establish a "profile" in this league in about a month. If Pennant comes in and beats a few players and puts good balls in he'll get defender's attention pretty quickly. His pace will excite crowds far more than pretty much anything Bentley could do. Nothing gets people on their feet like good pace.

As for price, it depends on how much Liverpool need the money. We need a right winger, but we don't need Pennant, there are plenty of options and Liverpool will know that. He obviously isn't first choice there and so we would go into negotiations holding as many cards as is possible in this sort of thing. 3 million might be a little low, but 6 would be high. If we could hit the 4-4.5 million mark then we'd have done a great piece of business.

What would be a reasonable price for Pennant in todays market?

We would get Pennant for 5 million at the least.

Anything less than that would be a miracle, he plays for Liverpool, he is English, he is quick, and has 24 U-21 International appearances.

It was a Pennant thread until some people started to say we had a chance of buying Xabi Alonso :lol: :lol:

Said the Liverpool supporter struggling to come to terms with the fact that at 3 August 2008, Rovers' transfer war chest is bigger than the scousers'. How's the new Anfield by the way?

Said the Liverpool supporter struggling to come to terms with the fact that at 3 August 2008, Rovers' transfer war chest is bigger than the scousers'. How's the new Anfield by the way?

Why are you having a dig at me now? It was your stupidity that made everyone laugh when you actually thought Xabi Alonso would even consider signing for Rovers.

Get real!

Why are you having a dig at me now? It was your stupidity that made everyone laugh when you actually thought Xabi Alonso would even consider signing for Rovers.

Get real!

And Alonso is signing for....

or Rafa couldn't give a toss about a £15m asset rotting in the Anfield Reserves 'cos he and the American boys are so flush with readies not provided by RBoS that it doesn't matter to them.

And Alonso is signing for....

It doesn't matter who he's signing for. Alonso is a top quality player end of. Not many players that can pick a pass out like him in the whole world, hes a younger Tugay, if not better. We have no chance of signing him. I can't believe this honestly, go to any Liverpool fan and ask them if Alonso would consider signing for Rovers. It's a stupid stupid stupid suggestion. Worst I've read in a while honestly.

Agree with a few posters on here, it's not whether Pennant is any good, it's dependent on what we pay for him.

At six million, can't help feeling there are other players around - perhaps in Europe - that could arguably do a better job without the baggage he may (or may not) bring.

3 million would be a steal methinks, 4 mill still potentially a good deal. We can't deny his talent, isn't he still the record holder for biggest transfer fee paid for a 16 year old by none other than Professor Yaffel at Arsenal?

He does have his demons, as everyone knows. That said, he played well latter half of last season when I watched him, but his talent was never in question, it's his temperament & cost.

He's clearly not another Bentley, and of course he won't draw players like Bents did as he is an out and out wide player, and nowhere near as talented as Bentley IMO in any department. However, given Mr Ince's supposed preference for two fast, mobile wingers, he fits the bill I think.

That said, he wouldn't be my first choice. Call me naive, and it's a dying art I know, but I still feel wingers should be able to cross a ball fundamentally. Bentley wasn't great at beating players directly, but in his passing and crossing he didn't need to be. SWP is such a trickly lil blighter, but he's not a good crosser IMO, neither is Lennon. Still, I'm sure - unlike on most of these forums - it's not simply a choice between Pennant, SWP or Lennon for our new right winger.

Don't forget we have two secret weapons for the right wing spot after this season in-house :rolleyes:

Archived