BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pennant

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do we need to look for a right winger, for me Bert is better than any that we have been linked with. Spend the money on a quality right back

I totally disagree. I think Bert is way out of depth on the wing. He has tremendous pace but I don't think he's skillful and he seems a little slow in thinking. He just doesn't react quick enough for a winger and it means the defender is closing him down while he is still looking at his own goal. I think he is an improvement on Mokoena in midfield and an effective full back due to his work rate, power and pace but I think he has only ever looked totally natural as a wing-back (for Australia and Ajax).

I've been thinking more about Pennant.

He must have done OK at Brum for Liverpool to have signed him. We know he's got talent, you don't play for Arsenal and Liverpool without that.

He's only 25, and he may well have had his fill of "big clubs" that he would be less likely to walk out if he managed to make it big.

At the right price I could be convinced to like the deal.

He must have done OK at Brum for Liverpool to have signed him. We know he's got talent, you don't play for Arsenal and Liverpool without that.

He's only 25, and he may well have had his fill of "big clubs" that he would be less likely to walk out if he managed to make it big.

Oh all right then! I can go along with that............as long as he agrees to sign the pledge. ;)

I didn't hear that but heard the Ince interview...........when asked about Pennant he was non-commital..........but did say he was a fantastic player (I think that was the adjective used). Said he wanted to bring in 3 or 4 players to freshen things up.

Given we are post-Bentley, we should be talking to Liverpool about Alonso.

Alonso's a great player.

Not the best tackler but keeps and passes the ball like a good 'un.

Probably wouldn't want to come, but we could always try waving the fee Villa require for Barry under the noses of Liverpool for both Pennant & Alonso.

Given we are post-Bentley, we should be talking to Liverpool about Alonso.

You are joking, right? Alonso would never, ever come to us. I know someone will probably reply "there's no harm in asking" or whatever, but we'd be completely wasting our time.

You are joking, right? Alonso would never, ever come to us. I know someone will probably reply "there's no harm in asking" or whatever, but we'd be completely wasting our time.

OK, where is Alonso going to then? Which CL clubs anywhere have Alonso shaped gaps at the moment? How long have Liverpool been trying to offload him?

Given Bellamy took a pay cut to go to Liverpool and Bentley a pay cut to go to Spurs for that matter I would guess Alonso's wages are within range and Liverpool's asking fee probably now has more to do with their desperation to put a cash-based bid for Barry on the table than the £30m they were whistling for earlier in the summer. Besides, Juve were close to agreement at a figure around half that.

A lot depends on whether Arsenal are on 20% or 50% of the Bentley profit.

You'de really need to interview him and look into his eyes.

OK, where is Alonso going to then? Which CL clubs anywhere have Alonso shaped gaps at the moment? How long have Liverpool been trying to offload him?

Given Bellamy took a pay cut to go to Liverpool and Bentley a pay cut to go to Spurs for that matter I would guess Alonso's wages are within range and Liverpool's asking fee probably now has more to do with their desperation to put a cash-based bid for Barry on the table than the £30m they were whistling for earlier in the summer. Besides, Juve were close to agreement at a figure around half that.

A lot depends on whether Arsenal are on 20% or 50% of the Bentley profit.

Are you stark raving mad?! Xabi Alonso to Rovers? I don't even know where to start with that one.

You are completely and utterly off your head.

Pennant would be a disastrous signing in my opinion; we simply MUST show more ambition than that. The man is the most average player in the entire universe.

I'm confident the deal won't happen owing to the price Liverpool will demand - But with the Bentley cash coming in and no other obvious targets being mooted, I am officially worried... :unsure:

Are you stark raving mad?! Xabi Alonso to Rovers? I don't even know where to start with that one.

You are completely and utterly off your head.

Stupid response as usual from one of the worst contributors.

I am being totally serious in the questions I am posing.

Stupid response as usual from one of the worst contributors.

I am being totally serious in the questions I am posing.

That's the bloody problem!!!!!!!

The feeling is very much mutual philip.

Your routinely ridiculous, over the top optimism has been noted by many aside from myself, and seems to be becoming somewhat of a running joke. Despite that, you continue in the same vein, continually being proved wrong in what you say, and seemingly never learning from the last time.

To suggest that we have any chance whatsoever of signing Xabi Alonso from Liverpool is beyond ridiculous. You've really outdone yourself with that one. He's a Spanish international and has just won the European Championships, he's a Champions League winner, a Liverpool regular, and is being linked with some of Europe's biggest teams for a fee in the region of £15m. All this, and he's only 26 years old. The only reason he hasn't moved yet is because all potential suitors know Liverpool need to raise the cash. The fee will come down slightly, and once it does there will be a list of teams as long as your arm in for him - all far more attractive propositions than Blackburn Rovers.

You really are beyond help.

Risible rant from T4E.

Stop and list the clubs with an actual vacancy for Alonso. Not potential, but a place that Alonso could be sure to be first choice (bearing in mind he wasn't in a pretty average Liverpool side last year).

Risible rant from T4E.

Stop and list the clubs with an actual vacancy for Alonso. Not potential, but a place that Alonso could be sure to be first choice (bearing in mind he wasn't in a pretty average Liverpool side last year).

Wouldn't pretty much most all bottom half teams make room for him if they knew he would come and they could get him for a reasonable price?

How about this one -

Inter could turn to Alonso

The basis of your argument seems to be that there are no bigger clubs than Rovers with a need for Xabi Alonso. Do you really believe that?

Assuming you do, where do you think we'll get the money to pay for him?

Alonso signed a new contract with Liverpool last Summer - he will be getting a wage proportionate to a player of his quality at a club of their size. In other words, much more than we can afford.

I cannot believe we're even debating this.

Archived