BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tugay

Link

This quote is from the article,

“I get on well with Tugay really well, in training and off the pitch,” said Judge."

“He looks after me quite well. He’s a good player to play alongside.

"He’s one of my favourites, to be honest.”

If these young midfield players learn 25% of Tugay's technical skill and awareness, we are all set.

The fact that he is so popular and respected by the youngsters show that he should stay as a Coach after his playing days are up.

We would benefit by that.

Link

This quote is from the article,

If these young midfield players learn 25% of Tugay's technical skill and awareness, we are all set.

The fact that he is so popular and respected by the youngsters show that he should stay as a Coach after his playing days are up.

We would benefit by that.

Agreed! He is a not only a player that can offer on the pitch but as well off the pitch. This is the kind of player we need to keep and this is the player that show the world what kind of team we are making!!!

Ince will sign a bunch of trialist midfielders and ALan Judge will tumble down the pecking order to wile away the season playing "who can kick the ball the highest" with the reserves and decline into another faded hope.

So his help from Tugs won't be of much use to Rovers.

The above is a rather pessimistic view of the future of Alan Judge but it is what happened to former guys who tasted the false dawn in pre-season (Taylor and Danns).

Ince will sign a bunch of trialist midfielders and ALan Judge will tumble down the pecking order to wile away the season playing "who can kick the ball the highest" with the reserves and decline into another faded hope.

The above is a rather pessimistic view of the future of Alan Judge but it is what happened to former guys who tasted the false dawn in pre-season (Taylor and Danns).

I somehow doubt Ince would do this. He seems keen on youngsters which can only mean a good thing for Rovers.

Taylor had a decent run in the 1st team and just wasn't good enough. His experiences at Big Club back this up.

Danns had less of a run but IMO is hardly a gem that got away either.

Judge has impressed me in pre-season (Portugal and Wolves) and is very promising. With 7 on the bench I expect we'll see younguns getting more runs this season (from all clubs). Judge will get his chance if he earns it.

Taylor had a decent run in the 1st team and just wasn't good enough. His experiences at Big Club back this up.

Danns had less of a run but IMO is hardly a gem that got away either.

Judge has impressed me in pre-season (Portugal and Wolves) and is very promising. With 7 on the bench I expect we'll see younguns getting more runs this season (from all clubs). Judge will get his chance if he earns it.

Think he's referring to Andy Superstar Taylor, who was pretty dire during his spell at Huddersfield...

You could be right here, rover6. With the increase in monies now flowing in to the PL things have moved on a pace since the Academies started to spring up. So much so that there comes a time when you question whether they are worth the effort any more. There is such a panic not to be relegated that youth isn't given a chance and players, usually from abroad, are bought now. Everything has got to be now. As good a player as Judge may turn out to be, he may well not be given the time to develop, certainly not to PL standard. Another Gally and another Championship player. Let's hope he makes the grade.

On the subject of the reserves and our acadamy it has to be said that the majority of them aren't very good. Anyone criticising Hughes/Ince or anyone else for not throwing them in, needs to pop down to Christie Park and watch the reserves play. Johnson looked the most promising player for a while, and look where he's ended up.

Having said that Derbyshire didn't really shine in the reserves (where the likes of Matteo and Amaruso look stunningly competent) yet he took his chance and shown he's a class act - it's a funny old game.

As for Tugay I'm not sure whether his skill and eye for a pass, can be taught, or to what extent it can, but if it can, or even a part of it can - then he'll be invaluable. It could well be the difference between Judge taking his chance and not (and of what I've seen Judge is a cut above most of the reserves). This could be especially true in the early stages of his career until he bulks up more, good technique will be all important in compensating for his lack of physical presence.

On the subject of the reserves and our acadamy it has to be said that the majority of them aren't very good. Anyone criticising Hughes/Ince or anyone else for not throwing them in, needs to pop down to Christie Park and watch the reserves play. Johnson looked the most promising player for a while, and look where he's ended up.

Having said that Derbyshire didn't really shine in the reserves (where the likes of Matteo and Amaruso look stunningly competent) yet he took his chance and shown he's a class act - it's a funny old game.

As for Tugay I'm not sure whether his skill and eye for a pass, can be taught, or to what extent it can, but if it can, or even a part of it can - then he'll be invaluable. It could well be the difference between Judge taking his chance and not (and of what I've seen Judge is a cut above most of the reserves). This could be especially true in the early stages of his career until he bulks up more, good technique will be all important in compensating for his lack of physical presence.

At the risk of turning this into an Alan Judge thread (which it probably should be!)...

NOW is the moment for Ince to give Judge transition games. This time is ideal. Judge's confidence is high, he's grown accustomed to the first team pre-season level and is not, seemingly, suffering from too much of an inferiority complex alongside the "stars".

The "Confidence Moment" of Alan Judge has arrived and if we want to convert him into a first team squad player for years to come, the transition to Prem football has to be made when the circumstances are perfect, which are now.

The danger is that if Ince signs a couple more midfielders and Judge is forgotten about, his career will stagnate and fall away, in line with his confidence. I know Ince has indicated that Judge'll get games but I just fear that the situation will be a lot different once/if a bunch of signings are made.

Sure, we need to strengthen our team - but thought needs to be put to not overloading the squad to the extent that giving Judge a series of appearances is precluded. As I have so often argued, managers need to PROACTIVELY implement the transition of promising reserve to first team squad player.

Our academy is worth running (at £1m per year I believe?) but certainly won't bring out hoardes of players such as that of Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal.

The easy availability of players from abroad means that we , and all clubs , will have to get hold of kids at very early ages .

Not a bad thing if you've people like Tugay knocking around to pass on good habits and you have the best facilities to tempt them here . The academy will be cost effective in the long term . £1 mill a year is not that much (if that's the right figure ) - one decent prem or a few championship players every five years pays that sum off .

Duff: £17m, Dunn £6m, Martin Taylor: £1.5m, Joe Garner: ? etc.

Our academy is worth running (at £1m per year I believe?)......

The Duffs and Dunns came through years ago and it is a long, long time since anyone of any note has made the grade at PL level.

For a couple of years around 1997/98, I used to go down to Brockhall every other Saturday morning. I saw all the good ones come through - Beattie, Duff, Dunn, Johnson, Taylor and Thomas. Thomas didn't get to the PL but he should have done. With Beattie he made a fearsome front two and was every bit as good as his partner.

As I said earlier, things have now moved on a pace and the fear factor has meant that, at virtually all the PL clubs outside the top four, the youngsters aren't getting the chance to develop and get a run in the side. If you are struggling at Christmas you need to buy in the January window, not shove a couple of kids in the side no matter how good they are perceived. In fact you could argue that really only Arsenal play their youngsters en masse in the league cup.

If running costs of £2.5m per year are correct (and it could be higher) we have to sell on at least 5 players (at 500k ea) to the Championship and down to break even. I would certainly not advocate shutting down our Academy but you can see why some clubs mayconsider it an option.

• 1 year later...

Nice to see him still wanting to play but I think he might bomb in that division. He'll have to play passing triangles with himself.

Is it me or did Sam simply want to get rid of big personalities from the club?

Or someone else?

Surely it was a no-brainer to keep Tugay on at Rovers as a player-coach? As has been mentioned before if he could have passed on even just a small amount of his ability and skill it'd have been worth it?

Archived