BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Exam Results

Do you think a really good piece with 90-95% perfect spelling is going to be disregarded? No.

No-one said disregarded, but it certainly shouldn't be an 'A' if the spelling mistakes hit double figures, let alone something like 90-95%. I mean, 90-95% correct spelling in a two hour exam could equate to over 100 spelling errors.

It just all supports the theory of exams getting easier, I mentioned the specific issue with spelling near the beginning of this. Please don't go a bit Colin on me, but it would be reasonable to expect someone with an A at A Level English Language to be near impeccable with their use of the English language. English Lit. is the one that I would consider to have the kind of leeway you describe.

I've got As in things I don't consider myself to be very knowledgeable about, so I'm firmly in the 'exams are too easy' camp.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mathematics was never a particular strong point, but yes 90-95 % is incorrect. I would suggest the odd spelling mistake shouldn't be allowed to hinder the mark. Spelling isn't an issue, the word I spelt wrong was merely a case of caught with pants down.

To be honest I've started playing devils' advocate with myself now, as I believe exams, or the study methods leading up to them are causing them to be passed too easily. Certainly at GCSE level, to a lesser degree at A-Level, and to be honest, I think once you've sat it out and got a good level degree, you can turn around and suggest that you've earned your bread academically.

Mathematics was never a particular strong point, but yes 90-95 % is incorrect. I would suggest the odd spelling mistake shouldn't be allowed to hinder the mark. Spelling isn't an issue, the word I spelt wrong was merely a case of caught with pants down.

Spelling syllabus with one 'l' might have been excusable but writing silibus and then defending yourself made you look rather, well, silly.

An A grade containing spelling mistakes should have been downgraded to B, not matter how good the content.

Okay Shillito, just this once, and just for you.

However, the standard of English is absolutely appalling these days. Yes, I know some of you have problems, fair play, but the majority don't and I really can't understand why so many don't know the correct use of there (over there, there is); their (their club, their problem) and they're (they're (they are) at home).

It surely is not that difficult??????????????????

Please don't even mention apostrophes..... :angry2:.

Please don't even mention apostrophes..... angry.gif.

There are 3 dots in an ellipsis, Mum. ;)

Standards are falling, gee.

I passed my GCSEs a year or two ago.

Obviously I'm living proof that every single kid nowadays is an illiterate, ASBO-wielding BNP fanatic.

EDIT: Pretty interesting to see that those whom are claiming "standards are lower", seem to employ quite a few spelling and grammatical errors, both in and out of this thread.

Judge and ye shall be judged and all that.

Wouldn't want the new generation of "illiterate geniuses" performing better than a group of socially elite moaning gits would we?

Excuse me?

Very few people have perfect spelling abilities. An English Language A-Level is about far far more than just spelling,

I should hope so too shillitoe, cos spelling tests ended at the end of the second form in my day..... I believe people refer to that as Year 8 nowadays. All that spelling the likes of 'necessary / phlegm / antidisestablishmentarianism' tests finished then.

ps My nemesis! After all these years I still got two letters wrong in the latter. :rolleyes:

btw poor at spelling, maths not a strong point..... There's on one on the three R's left!

btw 2 Off the top of my head I'd say Jim, Rev Blue and Jan are probably the best 3 contributers grammatically.

For all those suggesting a good piece with poor spelling should be down graded to a B obviously have a problem with another basic academic topic; Reading.

And drog, there is also some irony behind the fact you are yet to spell my name correctly.

And whilst I agree that modern context would suggest standards have fallen, I would add to the argument that standards are changing. Old English had different spelling and tense repercussions to Modern English, but what odds in 100 years vowels are completely removed from our spellings, as a result of the textual sensations currently yielding its way through every teen.

Okay Shillito, just this once, and just for you.

However, the standard of English is absolutely appalling these days. Yes, I know some of you have problems, fair play, but the majority don't and I really can't understand why so many don't know the correct use of there (over there, there is); their (their club, their problem) and they're (they're (they are) at home).

It surely is not that difficult??????????????????

Please don't even mention apostrophes..... :angry2:.

Don't even start with loose/lose.

Question for our grammar experts. Discussing a club belonging Tiger Woods: Would it be Woods' club, or Woods's club? I've always learned the first way, but the sports magazines tend to use the second.

Que ?

I never suggested that any of my personal pieces were good in content but poor in spelling. I just corrected myself for throwing an incorrect figure, the 90-95% into the equation. However, as per, certain people start putting words into you mouth, or is that keys onto your fingers?

In fact I've made about ten posts in here now Jim, and just the one spelling mistake I think.

You do the maths.

And whilst I agree that modern context would suggest standards have fallen, I would add to the argument that standards are changing. Old English had different spelling and tense repercussions to Modern English, but what odds in 100 years vowels are completely removed from our spellings, as a result of the textual sensations currently yielding its way through every teen.

I love the way you call it textual sensations, personally I call it laziness. So in one hundred years we will have dumbed down our language, due to the increase in waiting lists for repetitive strain injury. Perhaps we could all just learn to write in binary code. Can you seriously see the oxford English dictionary being published in text drivel, minus a, e, i, o, u. Well I suppose its less to learn for the little darlings.

It is lazyness combined with the need to fit a full paragraph into a 12p costing text message.

Either way it's certainly a possiblity, not that it will effect you, me, or anyone else on here.

Unless you're a hindu, in which case pray you come back as a lion or something.

It is lazyness combined with the need to fit a full paragraph into a 12p costing text message.

"It is laziness combined with the need to fit a full paragraph into a text message which costs 12p"

Holy Moley, your use of English is appalling, never mind your bloody spelling.

I can't believe you got an 'A' in English Language at A Level, that is outrageous.

I think an excellent comparison to make is the standard of English that foreign posters use compared to the people with English as their first language.. The vast majority of foreign posters are perfect (most specifically those from Nordic countries), particularly in spelling, so it's pretty obvious that they weren't allowed to make the easy mistakes that are forgiven in our education system.

At school I can remember being pulled up for every spelling mistake in French, no matter how small. The same definitely never applied to English. I did find that quite strange at the time, and I still do.

Question for our grammar experts. Discussing a club belonging Tiger Woods: Would it be Woods' club, or Woods's club? I've always learned the first way, but the sports magazines tend to use the second.

American,

I've been told the former. The latter is probably gramatically correct but looks awkward. If he was called "Tiger Wood" then "Wood's clubs" would be OK. I'm speaking as someone whose surname ends with an "s."

So it would be Paul Ince's Blackburn Rovers side.

but Mark Hughes' Blackburn Rovers side.

&

Graeme Souness' Blackburn Rovers side.

How handy was that?

Interesting read. I've been thinking for a while now that the exams aren't getting easier but there is a wider variety of subjects so you can choose the ones that suit you best. I also think that degrees are just as bad.

I've finished off a dual honors degree and it seemed that all's you need in a good memory. There was hardly any testing of your understanding of the subject at all. Can even remember explaining topics to friends the night before the exams and then they get a better grade then me because their memory was much better then mine! Maybe it is just sour grapes but I can't see a photographic memory being more useful then an understanding memory in a work environment- which surely is the aim of getting a degree?

American,

I've been told the former. The latter is probably gramatically correct but looks awkward. If he was called "Tiger Wood" then "Wood's clubs" would be OK. I'm speaking as someone whose surname ends with an "s."

So it would be Paul Ince's Blackburn Rovers side.

but Mark Hughes' Blackburn Rovers side.

&

Graeme Souness' Blackburn Rovers side.

How handy was that?

Both forms are acceptable, but since "Woods" isn't an actual plural, many places prefer to use the "Woods's club" version.

Archived