BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] End Of The World?

Well I thought I would throw a strange topic in here for the fun off it.. mainly as its something that both frightens and intrieges me..

Has anyone here read or heard about the attempts of the European Center for Nuclear research and their new toy?

Somehow this news found its way into the Sun newspaper which made me laugh.. as I was following this for quite a while.

The aim of the experiment is to recreate the "big bang" (creation of the universe) on a small scale..

Now I am not sure how much people know about science here but the first similar experiments created the Nuclear bomb.. the most recent (gold-gold) experiments created temps of 300million times the heat of the sun..

The recent experiments used a cool 4km tunnel and fired two luvly little bunches of protons and neutons at each to create a mini bang.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2999278.stm

The latest mad cap experiment will use a 17mile long tunnel under switzerland to fix two protons at each other.. the initial tests went slightly wrong as they kind of blew up http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1626728.ece

Now call me crazy but the idea of recreating the big bang may be the biggest thing and most dangerous thing that mankind has EVER tried.. as the scientists put it themselves in neat little statements like, well we don't know exactly what will happen as it has never been done before, this is man pushing the boundaries of science and my personal favourite the chance of the experiment destroying the planet are extremely low.. all in all very comforting..

another article on it.. there are an awful lot out there if you do a google search btw.. :)

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/worlds...7420196449.html

Personally if it is not at all dangerous why the hell are they building it under a mountain... and why create substances that we have never encountered.. why the hell would you want to potentially create a black hole (they are not exactly friendly).. why...

All in all to me worrying.. and the launch of this amazing experiment.. the 10th of Sept 2008 :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I thought I would throw a strange topic in here for the fun off it.. mainly as its something that both frightens and intrieges me..

Has anyone here read or heard about the attempts of the European Center for Nuclear research and their new toy?

Somehow this news found its way into the Sun newspaper which made me laugh.. as I was following this for quite a while.

The aim of the experiment is to recreate the "big bang" (creation of the universe) on a small scale..

Now I am not sure how much people know about science here but the first similar experiments created the Nuclear bomb.. the most recent (gold-gold) experiments created temps of 300million times the heat of the sun..

The recent experiments used a cool 4km tunnel and fired two luvly little bunches of protons and neutons at each to create a mini bang.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2999278.stm

The latest mad cap experiment will use a 17mile long tunnel under switzerland to fix two protons at each other.. the initial tests went slightly wrong as they kind of blew up http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1626728.ece

Now call me crazy but the idea of recreating the big bang may be the biggest thing and most dangerous thing that mankind has EVER tried.. as the scientists put it themselves in neat little statements like, well we don't know exactly what will happen as it has never been done before, this is man pushing the boundaries of science and my personal favourite the chance of the experiment destroying the planet are extremely low.. all in all very comforting..

another article on it.. there are an awful lot out there if you do a google search btw.. :)

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/worlds...7420196449.html

Personally if it is not at all dangerous why the hell are they building it under a mountain... and why create substances that we have never encountered.. why the hell would you want to potentially create a black hole (they are not exactly friendly).. why...

All in all to me worrying.. and the launch of this amazing experiment.. the 10th of Sept 2008 :)

The other possibility is that the machine will create an artificial ‘wormhole’ which in theory allows for the possibility of time-travel. It has been theorized that if such a scientific anomaly did occur, then we may be visited from advanced humans from the future.

Or we may only have just over a week to live :huh:;)

A rather more reserved and scientific view

New Scientist

I think that the whole thing is brilliant. If it works then we all learn more about the origins of the universe. Isn't that interesting?

OK, it doesn't feed anyone nor stop global warming.

And if it all goes pear-shaped and the solar system disappears into a black hole then so what? It won't hurt, and the French will go one nano-second before the rest of us.

It's no worse than buying Cicco Grabbi.

Oh Virgin Galactic go into parallel universes do they now? Dimension jumps? I suppose it would explain Branson though....

If the universe goes, everything goes, thats what Universe means - everything.

Still, We'll never play burnley again

I think the world/universe will end for this reason. Man City are a joke club that screw everything up, and play at the 'theatre of base comedy' right? They were in financial trouble and now some Arab bloke has stepped in with tonnes of money. Would it not be typical that just as City are poised to be great the universe gets swallowed up by a black hole?

I like the wormhole idea, althugh it would probably be so small you won't exactly get Kurt Russell jumping into the picture.

I think that the whole thing is brilliant. If it works then we all learn more about the origins of the universe. Isn't that interesting?

Playing devils advocate - why do we want to know the origins of the universe? What use is it to us living here now? Would it not be better to put all the time, effort and money spent on this project into protecting what we have now and preserving it for our children and grandchildren and future generations?

This has had my attention for a while as well and although no Physicist I have asked a few people I know about. They are rather baffled but at the same time very intrigued, and would love to see what happens.

However they have all made one comment that had me splitting my sides.

"Yes Mr judge we want to re-create the big bang, we have no real clue as to what will happen, we have no experience or reference to base our findings on. But yes its safe."

I love the fact humans are so inquisitive answers must be found, but playing GOD is not something we should really get involved in.

"Yes Mr judge we want to re-create the big bang, we have no real clue as to what will happen, we have no experience or reference to base our findings on. But yes its safe."

If it's that safe why is it a few hundred metres underground ? :unsure:

This is from one of Veev's links on the first post

"....From today, it will be completely closed off while technicians make the final preparations before it is turned on in July when, it is hoped, it will begin revealing what the matter and energy that created the universe was really like.

What happens afterwards could change our understanding of the world.

Most experts believe the explosions created when the particles hit each other will reveal the basic building blocks of everything around us. There are some, however, who fear it could destroy the planet."

A slight professional disagreement then ....... -_-

If it's that safe why is it a few hundred metres underground ? :unsure:

This is from one of Veev's links on the first post

"....From today, it will be completely closed off while technicians make the final preparations before it is turned on in July when, it is hoped, it will begin revealing what the matter and energy that created the universe was really like.

What happens afterwards could change our understanding of the world.

Most experts believe the explosions created when the particles hit each other will reveal the basic building blocks of everything around us. There are some, however, who fear it could destroy the planet."

A slight professional disagreement then ....... -_-

Sorry Phil I think you have misunderstood my post, it was implying sarcasm.

You're wrong. As reality turns in on itself and the universe implodes, a single welsh voice will be heard amid the cahos... "behold, I am Saunders and I am the destroyer."

Typical Blackburn fan.. :) Faced with either the end of the world or star trek in our generation and you blame Deano...

I rem reading yonks ago that before the 1st nuclear test and nuclear physics were in their infancy there was a theory among some scientists that splitting the atom would set off a chain reaction that could destroy the entire planet! ......... Didn't stop em though did it?

I rem reading yonks ago that before the 1st nuclear test and nuclear physics were in their infancy there was a theory among some scientists that splitting the atom would set off a chain reaction that could destroy the entire planet! ......... Didn't stop em though did it?

No just ended up removing a couple of cities from the face of the planet..

You know the fun part.. America started the experiment.. then after a couple of mistakes invested in the experiment being built in Europe :)

Archived