BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tresor Mputu

Hughesy

Looks like this one has a chance - a new unknown striker from Africa that once again is being Hyped up.

Confirmed in the Lancashire Telegraph that he is due in next week

Due in for talks next week

Could be an intresting player. He was the top scorer in last season's African Champions League.

His goals tally make interesting reading too:

Clubs:

TP Mazembe - 30 games, 34 goals

Internationals:

DR Congo - 4 games, 5 goals

Wiki profile

Also there is obviously the link with Samba through the DR Congo team so a real possibility if this lad is as good as they say.

Also still quite young at only 22

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good move getting him here on trial. Definitely worth a go if he is 'Africa's best' and he is a young talent. No doubt we will soon find out what he is like but no getting carried away seeing as Annan was supposedly the 'new Essien' and look what happened to him. Hopefully, though, he could be the bargain striker signing that we need and have a knack of finding. Also, Hull want him according to Wiki so we can't let him go there and turn out to be quality, thus helping them to do even better they are already doing!

Anyone know anything about him? Is he big/small? Strong? Quick? Lazy? A poacher? Anything?

If he IS that good Hughsey, then I dont understand Arsenals unwillingness to fork out a measly £4m when undoubtedly he will command a much larger fee in years to come.

Lets hope we do see something in him and I am certain that Big Samba will have a part to play if he does come to Ewood.

Best player in Africa? Wasn't the same also said of Collins Mbesuma before he went to Portsmouth? I'm sure we were linked with him as well. He scored 35 goals in 42 games in a stronger league than Mputu.

Can't do any harm getting the lad on trial, but I'm not hopeful anything will come from it. Agents of African players seem to spend overtime promoting their players.

Also there is obviously the link with Samba through the DR Congo team so a real possibility if this lad is as good as they say.

Samba plays for Congo, not DR Congo. Two different countries.

Does he? Oops! Blame Ince for me getting that wrong then!

Yeah im not getting to excited yet either. Apparently Arsenal made an offer, but it wasnt acceptable as it was reliant on many clauses on him making it big time. (Taken that from an Arsenal site)

Found this: http://www.101greatgoals.com/2008/10/video...u-arsenal-hull/

It is an article about Mputu. And to quote from it: "Unquestionably, he is a live-wire up front, who in the past has sometimes been too excitable for his own good. Mputu blends his slight build and lightening feet to weasel in between defenders, offering a cool head in the final third, and also not shy about taking a tumble if the situation so demands." Sounds like the kind of striker we need :D

There is a video at the bottom of the article which shows some goals with an especially nice finish at 1min45.

This is the Video......................http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-mGvqtgXkdJQ/the_congonese_foward/

Wenger loved the player but thought that he already had very good Strikers......which i can understand.............he did the same with Plasiois from Wigan and look how he turned out................

Wenger loved the player but thought that he already had very good Strikers......which i can understand.............he did the same with Plasiois from Wigan and look how he turned out................

He didn't love him that much unleaded. He wasn't prepared to go above £500.000 for him [according to that wiki article].

"The lad did well on his trial and I was very impressed with him, but he isn't the kind of player we need at the moment", is the usual slant for trialists that don't cut the mustard.

As people have said though Den, he also did the same with Palacios. He might not be good enough for Arsenal but that doesn't mean he's not good enough for us.

To be honest, a striker would have to be pretty special to make it on to Arsenal books at the moment. They already have Adebayor, Van Persie, Bendtner, Vela and Walcott, plus Eduardo to come back. Knowing Wenger he's probably got a few youngsters that are pretty special as well.

As people have said though Den, he also did the same with Palacios. He might not be good enough for Arsenal but that doesn't mean he's not good enough for us.

I don't think Wenger will see it that way Le Chuck. He doesn't know if anyone is going to make the Arsenal team until they're signed and performing. He'll surely just make a judgement as to whether the lads are going to be good enough to play in the premier league. If they look like they will be, he'll sign them because at the very least, they will make a profit on them. I suspect in this case Wenger didn't see that.

Just look at some of the kids he has let go thinking they wouldnt make it - Bentley being a prime example. His judgement isnt always correct.

Agreed - he's had his fair share of turnips along the way, generally British lads it seems. He must be a chairman's dream though, Mr Wenger - he hates spending money, but when he does he nearly always profits (as a previous poster indicated).

The fact he's looked at him is a good start though, he clearly fancies his talents initially. As to why he didn't move on him doesn't always follow it's purely football reasons. Interesting to note they wanted half a million a year ago and now they're after 4 million - perhaps that's the reason?

BTW - is he a 'Roger Milla' 22? Sometimes in these African countries the passports/ages seem to be questioned from time to time, Nigeria being the obvious one (several cases on record). Personally, I doubt a certain Mr Veijeany Samba's age as 24, Oba Martins looks like he had the proverbial paper round from hell too.

Hopefully this fella will be a find, we need a good striker, especially an out-and-out goalscorer with pace.

I dont buy it. Arsene Wenger has never let go of a player that went on to do something that wouldve been missed in Arsenal's first team.

Case and study. Overmars and Petit spent their best years at the club. Vieira has never been the same really. Henry, possibly used up his best at Arsenal. Then there is Pennant, and please dont tell me he would ever have been something at Arsenal. Now Mr. Bentley. Arsene surely knew he was a talent, but he would never make it as Arsenal, so why stump his development in the reserves, when you can sell him and have a significant sell-on clause, which ended up getting Arsenal something like 7-8 million pounds?

Bentley would never make it in one of the top four teams, and thats my opinion and Im sure the top four agree too otherwise they wouldve considered him after his "best" form of his career last year.

Now Mr. Bentley. Arsene surely knew he was a talent, but he would never make it as Arsenal, so why stump his development in the reserves, when you can sell him and have a significant sell-on clause, which ended up getting Arsenal something like 7-8 million pounds?

It seems that arsenal negioate a hefty sell on cause on all the junior players sold on by them. It is secruity against them making a mistake and giving a player away who goes onto make the next club a mint. Good business sense not a marker on whether Mr. wenger rates a player or not.

I don't think Wenger will see it that way Le Chuck. He doesn't know if anyone is going to make the Arsenal team until they're signed and performing. He'll surely just make a judgement as to whether the lads are going to be good enough to play in the premier league. If they look like they will be, he'll sign them because at the very least, they will make a profit on them. I suspect in this case Wenger didn't see that.

Come, now, Den, that is very silly.

Wenger makes a judgment on whether a player will improve his squad - not whether they are good enough for the Premier League. He doesn't need to wheel and deal to raise a couple of million here and there. Arsenal have enough money not to have to do that.

And as Wenger has said, he doesn't just look at the player's potential but he also tries to find out about their personality and whether it will suit his management style and team's spirit. In addition, he is very concerned with whether a new signing will block the progress of a promising youngster. Hence, he has rejected the chance to add the experience of an Oliver Dacourt or Edgar Davids to his midfield, in the past, because, as he stated, it would send the wrong message to his young players.

As for letting Bentley go, I don't consider that a mistake by Wenger. Firstly, if I remember rightly, Wenger didn't want to sell him but after the Norwich loan spell, Bentley demanded a move. Secondly, by Bentley's own admission, he did not apply himself properly as a youngster and perhaps it was this unimpressive attitude of Bentley that lead to Wenger deciding to let him go. Finally, Wenger's team plays with fast wingers and Bentley isn't. If Bentley was ever going to establish himself at Arsenal, it was as a second forward BUT even now, he has not proved that he is genuinely capable in that role.

Come, now, Den, that is very silly.

Wenger makes a judgment on whether a player will improve his squad - not whether they are good enough for the Premier League. He doesn't need to wheel and deal to raise a couple of million here and there. Arsenal have enough money not to have to do that.

Well in this case, it appears as though he was prepared to buy him Rover6, but only at £500.000. So where does that fit into your philosophy?

Archived