BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs Preview

philipl

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting how The Times has managed to turn Olsson's two trips on Lennon (both bookable offences, it must be said) into "a series of crude challenges"!

And I thought it was just us who got biased and unwarranted reporting from the media!

Just as an aside, why did your coaching staff leave Olsson so exposed? It was blindingly obvious that putting a man in to back him up would have nullified the only threat that Spuds possessed at that time?

I concur with the rising tide here concerning Incey's ability at this level. He's not surrounded himself with coaching quality either. I reckon if you don't act this month it'll be too late.

I wouldn't like to see Rovers go down. Not whilst there are deserving causes like Spurs, West Ham and Newcastle around anyway!

Very interesting how The Times has managed to turn Olsson's two trips on Lennon (both bookable offences, it must be said) into "a series of crude challenges"!

And I thought it was just us who got biased and unwarranted reporting from the media!

Just as an aside, why did your coaching staff leave Olsson so exposed? It was blindingly obvious that putting a man in to back him up would have nullified the only threat that Spuds possessed at that time?

I concur with the rising tide here concerning Incey's ability at this level. He's not surrounded himself with coaching quality either. I reckon if yoo don't act this month it'll be too late.

I wouldn't like to see Rovers go down. Not whilst there are deserving causes like Spurs, West Ham and Newcastle around anyway!

Oh good. Now opposing fans can see the problem. Why the hell can't the waste of space that is the "manager"?????

You're not wrong, Zulu. Unfortunately da Guv'nor's thickness covers every aspect of his life, it seems. Some here hoped he would be "an idiot savant" when it came to football. No, just an idiot, it seems.

I gave up watching the game on telly after 40 minutes when the prat Olly got himself sent off.

This season is a joke, a cruel joke. I cannot see where we will get the next point from, with much luck it may just be before Christmas.

How many Rovers fans were at the Lane yesterday, was it 100 or 150? I dread to think what our home support will be in the coming weeks.

Sack the clown.

Olsson: "I smashed up most of the dressing room after being sent off"

"The manager said that I'm young and that I'll improve with time. He also said that it's better to show some feelings and passion instead of doing nothing."

Olsson will probably be fined by the FA because of the incident.

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=544553

A side note, but surely all those people who were saying that they would not want Aaron Lennon to replace Bentley because he was a one-dimensional player with pace and nought else must backtrack. Today, he was not as good as he was playing under Martin Jol - and he was up against a weak full back for half the match - but he proved that he is an excellent player who may be a little profligate with crosses but is a darned useful outlet.

I defy anyone to suggest that they would not welcome Lennon as a replacement for Bentley. Sadly, it will not happen and never did look even remotely likely.

Secondly, I agree with those who say that Ince has got a few games to save himself. I have defended Ince but, quite simply, we cannot afford to go down and we have to draw a line with Ince at some stage.

The scariest thing is looking at the names of potential successors.

A criticism I have about Ince is why was Judge not on the bench today? We need a sub right winger and Judge is the only valid contender after Emerton. Keith Treacy has had a fair crack and has NOT come up with the goods. Despite what people may think of me, I urge managers to give young players decent chances BUT I also expect said player to show something. Treacy has shown very little and Ince should have shoved him aside for Judge.

Then we wouldn't have to put the hapless Derbyshire on the right.

Judge isnt premiership standard rover6 why do you keep going on about him, as for Lennon his end product is limited, very limited, potential he may have but the big question is is he ever going to fulfil it. Olsson made him look better than he is by diving in and miss timing his tackles when Lennon shoots at goal its like a back pass the one were he went past Ooijer on the left second half and shot straight at Robinson showed how niave he is.

Wether Lennon can improve you'd have to meet the lad and see how inelligent he is and find out if he wants to improve himself because he certainly has the ability to run past people its what happens next that he needs to improve on.He'd certainly be better than what we've currently got.

I concur with the rising tide here concerning Incey's ability at this level. He's not surrounded himself with coaching quality either.

Warnock would have had the same problem cos Nelsen rarely drops close enough to cover his full back. All a full back should have to do against a speedster is stand him up, get in his way and delay him long enough for the ch to cover for him or the left midfield to drop back. I can rem when we played MU with Duff in our side, the old RFW usually used both Neville and Beckham to nullify our main threat.

btw

From the Times

Ince and Jordan squared up in the tunnel after the Tottenham coach complained to Howard Webb, the referee, about Blackburn's tackling in the first half.

Joe Jordan complaining about our tackling ffs !!!???!!!! :o For the very first time I am fully in support of Paul Ince's actions!

I thought we played ok yesterday. with the exception of pedersen and mokoena, who really were woeful, not fit to wear the shirt. the annoying thing for me is this is hardly a new development.

I appreciate Pedersen may be considered better for tracking back, but from what i'v seen Treacy is head and shoulders above him when he's got the ball. Not really anything I can add about Mokoena.

I thought we played ok yesterday. with the exception of pedersen and mokoena, who really were woeful, not fit to wear the shirt. the annoying thing for me is this is hardly a new development.

I appreciate Pedersen may be considered better for tracking back, but from what i'v seen Treacy is head and shoulders above him when he's got the ball. Not really anything I can add about Mokoena.

Played OK?

Spurs didn't look anything more than average, yet they scored one goal, hit the post, one deflection hit Robinson when he had no idea where it was going, Woodgate should have buried his header and how many last ditch tackles prevented goals. We were embarrassingly bad yesterday and Spurs could have reversed their 1963, 7 goal maulling.

Played OK?

Spurs didn't look anything more than average, yet they scored one goal, hit the post, one deflection hit Robinson when he had no idea where it was going, Woodgate should have buried his header and how many last ditch tackles prevented goals. We were embarrassingly bad yesterday and Spurs could have reversed their 1963, 7 goal maulling.

don't tell me what we were you jumped up monkey. I have my perspective you have yours. check your head.

further to my original post, why no vogel? surely he could have done better than the axe..

don't tell me what we were you jumped up monkey. I have my perspective you have yours. check your head.

further to my original post, why no vogel? surely he could have done better than the axe..

No need for such rudeness...... especially when Den's opinion is perfectly valid.

About Olsson, I wonder if he has a fundamental deficiency in his game or is simply suffering from fear. He has pace to keep up with the fastest but it seems like he works himself into a great panic when a winger runs at him (see his attempt to thwart Cristiano Ronaldo). I think his future may lie as a left winger.

Crap absolute crap! That just about sums up our performance yesterday. Had we been playing anyone other than a poor spurs team I shudder to think what the scoreline would have been. In my humble opinion the time has come for "The Govenor" to pack his bags and go. :angry2:

About Olsson, I wonder if he has a fundamental deficiency in his game or is simply suffering from fear. He has pace to keep up with the fastest but it seems like he works himself into a great panic when a winger runs at him (see his attempt to thwart Cristiano Ronaldo). I think his future may lie as a left winger.

To be fair to Olssen, Lennon would take anyone to the cleaners if he were allowed to run at them. What Rovers failed to do in the first half, was to mark him tighter and stop him from running. Another tactical blunder. [apart from him not seeing early on that Olsson was going to get sent off - and taking him off.]

I very rarely feel the need to post my frustrations on one single player. However, after attending the game yesterday and seeing Paul Robinson being more interested in playing up to the Tottenham fans rather than coming for crosses and commanding his area I find myself putting a share of the blame purely onto him.

He literally didnt seem to care yesterday. I don't have a problem with ex players going back to their old club and responding to their old fans. However, this was literally every single time he went to collect the ball. He even purposefully put the ball into the home end just to get more applause, bearing in mind at this stage we were 1-0 down and we needed to be pressuring Spurs. At the end of the game he was almost doing a lap of honour round white hart lane, of course he didnt respond to the small pocket of blackburn fans who had suffered another defeat.

Ryan and Samba dont seem to have any confidence in him and I find myself questionning his desire to play for us, and although I am singling him out I fear that under the current management that I will be questionning more the players desire to play for the club unless things change

There is still time to sort this out. However, With Roque potentially on the way out in January we need to stop the rot sooner rather than later

Paul Robinson being more interested in playing up to the Tottenham fans rather than coming for crosses and commanding his area I find myself putting a share of the blame purely onto him.

Eh?

Did Robinson try to take on Lennon when he could have put it in Row Z? No

Did Robinson miss 2 chances that most strikers in the PL should put away? No

Did Robinson make a mistake? Not that I remember.

I'm sure Villa fans weren't moaning when Friedel came across before and after the match to clap us.

I very rarely feel the need to post my frustrations on one single player. However, after attending the game yesterday and seeing Paul Robinson being more interested in playing up to the Tottenham fans rather than coming for crosses and commanding his area I find myself putting a share of the blame purely onto him.

He literally didnt seem to care yesterday. I don't have a problem with ex players going back to their old club and responding to their old fans. However, this was literally every single time he went to collect the ball. He even purposefully put the ball into the home end just to get more applause, bearing in mind at this stage we were 1-0 down and we needed to be pressuring Spurs. At the end of the game he was almost doing a lap of honour round white hart lane, of course he didnt respond to the small pocket of blackburn fans who had suffered another defeat.

Ryan and Samba dont seem to have any confidence in him and I find myself questionning his desire to play for us, and although I am singling him out I fear that under the current management that I will be questionning more the players desire to play for the club unless things change

There is still time to sort this out. However, With Roque potentially on the way out in January we need to stop the rot sooner rather than later

That is complete balls...complete balls

So what if felt the need to acknowledge the Spurs fans? As for him not coming towards our corner that is a lie. He came across to our corner and clapped us (Him and Nelsen were the only players who seen fit to do so)

Robbo has arguably been one our best players so far this season and he is the one major positive of the Ince reign as manager IMO.

I feel that he does not command his box well enough and as a result the defence does not have confidence in him. It is his general relaxed attitude that concerns me. he was playing up to the spurs fans the whole game, not just at the start and end. You probably wouldnt have picked it up on the TV

Robinson was one of very few players to come away with any credit yesterday.

He looked incredibly solid, kicked everything superbly (despite the Spurs fans trying to put him off) and just generally didn't put a foot wrong. I have a feeling he could be one of the most important members of the team in the coming weeks, so to criticise him for acknowleding the fans of his former club is bordering on insanity.

Edit: The fact that he was so relaxed yesterday is surely a good thing for us? That's probably why he made everything look so easy. When he's been nervous in the past that's when the mistakes have crept in. If he's happy and at ease with the game then it can only be good news for us.

"The manager said that I'm young and that I'll improve with time. He also said that it's better to show some feelings and passion instead of doing nothing."

I also hope he learns to respect other people's property. That is out of order. On the one hand you can blame Ince for putting the lad in a situation out of his depth, but there is the rest of the match to be played and it couldn't have done the others much good coming in at half time.

I have supported Ince but I've had it now. When things that are blatently obvious to supporters and the manager doesn't seem to see them or glosses them over it all gets too much.

I feel that he does not command his box well enough and as a result the defence does not have confidence in him. It is his general relaxed attitude that concerns me.

He commands his box better than Friedel did IMO. He is more of a risk taker but at least he comes for crosses and plays more of a sweeper role. The defense are confident in leaving the longer ball for him to collect and the attack are happy to get a quick, accurate, long ball to them.

I don't see how saying thanks to the fans is a bad thing. He is the only player I can remember that gives something to the rovers fans after we win/draw. Without fail he runs over to the rovers fans and throws his gloves into the crowd.

He is a fighter that will always give 100% for whichever club he is at. If he is looking relaxed I would say that is a good thing. I wouldn't want my keeper up tight and tense, like Gomes has been this season, the fans having a laugh at him when he does things right.

The lack of discipline in our team is appalling..bottom of yet another table of yellow/red cards..I really really hope that John Williams shows some feeling and passion soon and " DOES SOMETHING!"

Archived