BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam Allardyce

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everyone's going to shoot me down for this I know ...

But how about stealing Joe Kinnear from Newcastle?

WHOSE SHOUTING - PRESS INTERVIEWS WOULD BE MORE ENTERTAINING - NOT TO CONVINCED THAT THE FOOTBALL WOULD BE EXCITING THOUGH.

oops sorry turned into abbey then. ;)

sorry bryan thought you said shout you down. :rolleyes:

That's a very good reason, very well put. :D

:lol:

To go a little further on why, IMO, BFS should not be the next Rovers manager:

I used to hate watching Bolton and the way they played.

It has taken us long enough to get rid of the 'bully boy' tag.

The probable return of Kevin Davies.

I have the feeling that Allardyce will quite enjoy telling us where to go following the facebook campaign. Or he will do if he talks to Williams and he's told what budget he has to work with.

If he did deign to join us he may well prove not to be the panacea some seem to believe he will be.

Allardyce was a success at Bolton because he spent fortunes on wages. He'll be denied those fortunes at Ewood.

He also had Bolton playing a certain "way". I have no doubt he'll do the same if appointed Rovers boss. I remember Rovers being beaten by Bolton at Ewood a couple of seasons ago. We walked away consolling ourselves that at least we didn't have to watch THAT every week.

I dont want to see Rovers launching it up to a big lump of a forward. I dont want to see us playing for corners, free kicks even throw ins. I dont want us disrupting the opposition with petty niggling fouls and time wasting in the first half.

If Allardyce is appointed I will be gutted and say so. Then I'll get back to supporting Rovers. Cant see me doing so with much enthusiasm though. Allardyce may well keep us in the Premier League, will the cost be worth it?

Of course playing in the Premiership is worth it, I can't see many people enjoying watching Ince's style of football especially when we are at the bottom of the division, how can anyone slag Big Sam's football tactics off when we are becoming the joke of the Premiership with Williams Jester managing us?

I have the feeling that Allardyce will quite enjoy telling us where to go following the facebook campaign. Or he will do if he talks to Williams and he's told what budget he has to work with.

If he did deign to join us he may well prove not to be the panacea some seem to believe he will be.

Allardyce was a success at Bolton because he spent fortunes on wages. He'll be denied those fortunes at Ewood.

He also had Bolton playing a certain "way". I have no doubt he'll do the same if appointed Rovers boss. I remember Rovers being beaten by Bolton at Ewood a couple of seasons ago. We walked away consolling ourselves that at least we didn't have to watch THAT every week.

I dont want to see Rovers launching it up to a big lump of a forward. I dont want to see us playing for corners, free kicks even throw ins. I dont want us disrupting the opposition with petty niggling fouls and time wasting in the first half.

If Allardyce is appointed I will be gutted and say so. Then I'll get back to supporting Rovers. Cant see me doing so with much enthusiasm though. Allardyce may well keep us in the Premier League, will the cost be worth it?

well we are hardly playing the brilliant football paul ince promised us early in season-infact we have been playing some long ball football..were we are at now-we shouldnt worry about what the performance is like-its about results...sam allardyce made bolton a top 6 team-ok it wasnt enjoyable but there was there for a good 3 seasons..defensivly they was very solid and to finish 5th or 6th they must of been doing something right infront of goal..

hes worked in the premierleague-hes been involved in relagation battles and challenging for europe-he also knows how to work on a limited budget-much like hughes-and do well..

i for one would be very happy if sam allardyce became manager-but after what happened in the summer-with this facebook nonsence i doubt he would come..

I used to hate watching Bolton and the way they played.

It has taken us long enough to get rid of the 'bully boy' tag.

The probable return of Kevin Davies.

To be fair, the pundits with their heads screwed on would often say both ourselves and Bolton were physical but also gifted sides. It's the rest who would just run us down as Northern bullies.

Teams like us need first and foremost to be difficult to play against, then you blend that with the odd gem or two. I don't know where Ince's policy falls here. He doesn't want us to be a physical side (see his argument with Ray Wilkins), but he also picks teams that can't play attractive football, leaving a shambles that's waiting for a spanking.

DingleBaiter, you always post some great comments on here, but I think your analysis of what Allardyce actually achieved at Bolton is skewered by the "how" it seems. There is a post somewhere which tells us where Bolton finished in their time in the Premiership - I just find it impressive and would not be against Allardyce becoming our manager. He may be what we need right now, a driving force with experience. Does JW fancy those types though?

Thanks Tombro; fair point - yes I am biased against BFS, though I can see why he would be a strong candidate. I just clinging to the hope - no matter how slim - there's a way past the present predicament that he will never darken our doorstep, because I happen to feel the weighting of his perceived bad points detracts too much from his strengths.

Bolton achieved their success a certain way; if he came to Rovers and replicated that (or even improved on what he achieved, or even better - HOW he did it - then I'd grudgingly say 'fair enough'. Our club's success is more important than personal likes or dislikes; a fact seemingly lost on some elements of Ince's detractors.

What worries me more ultimately than bovine BFS is that we may go from the frying pan into the fire without anything like confidence we'd DEFINITELY improve. Where we would be once we'd had TWO unpopular 'managers'? Even if BFS did (or didn't manage) to stave off relegation, we'd then either be as fickle as the Geordies or have dropped our expectations to end up as avoiding relegation being our standard.

Personality & pitch matters aside, think three other factors that wouldn't help his case would be he would expect more commercial input (not just on transfer pots, but wages, staff, etc.) than the board/trustees would welcome & I can't imagine he would be as subservient to JW as Ince/Hughes, plus the inevitable humble-pie/admission of error by JW.

If I had to bet - using head rather than heart - my money wouldn't be going on Sam for the above/previous reasons. However, that doesn't mean he wouldn't be the favourite.

I think Ince is scarily close to 'H hour', but where would be IF he did manage to turn it around? Would he always be a 'dead man walking'? Would his detractors say 'fair one' and lay off him? If he does go, I'd like to think it would show to the board/Trustees then need to 'speculate to accumulate' and commit a stronger business model for our future - even if that meant getting a manager from another club. I've concerns they would restrict their choices based on availability, financial & nationality constraints, not the merit of a prospective candidate.

What about Sven? :D:o:P

Thanks Tombro; fair point - yes I am biased against BFS, though I can see why he would be a strong candidate. I just clinging to the hope - no matter how slim - there's a way past the present predicament that he will never darken our doorstep, because I happen to feel the weighting of his perceived bad points detracts too much from his strengths.

Bolton achieved their success a certain way; if he came to Rovers and replicated that (or even improved on what he achieved, or even better - HOW he did it - then I'd grudgingly say 'fair enough'. Our club's success is more important than personal likes or dislikes; a fact seemingly lost on some elements of Ince's detractors.

What worries me more ultimately than bovine BFS is that we may go from the frying pan into the fire without anything like confidence we'd DEFINITELY improve. Where we would be once we'd had TWO unpopular 'managers'? Even if BFS did (or didn't manage) to stave off relegation, we'd then either be as fickle as the Geordies or have dropped our expectations to end up as avoiding relegation being our standard.

Personality & pitch matters aside, think three other factors that wouldn't help his case would be he would expect more commercial input (not just on transfer pots, but wages, staff, etc.) than the board/trustees would welcome & I can't imagine he would be as subservient to JW as Ince/Hughes, plus the inevitable humble-pie/admission of error by JW.

If I had to bet - using head rather than heart - my money wouldn't be going on Sam for the above/previous reasons. However, that doesn't mean he wouldn't be the favourite.

I think Ince is scarily close to 'H hour', but where would be IF he did manage to turn it around? Would he always be a 'dead man walking'? Would his detractors say 'fair one' and lay off him? If he does go, I'd like to think it would show to the board/Trustees then need to 'speculate to accumulate' and commit a stronger business model for our future - even if that meant getting a manager from another club. I've concerns they would restrict their choices based on availability, financial & nationality constraints, not the merit of a prospective candidate.

What about Sven? :D:o:P

A lot of people don't like the style of football that BFS advocates - but if it kept Rovers in the prem then at this moment in time I would take it. I am not keen on his footballing ideas - but it could be fun watching the so called big teams tremble because they don't like playing against that style, add to that Rovers bully boy reputation.

Archived