SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam Allardyce

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh and yet another argument for Sam I haven't seen mentioned here:

Phil Brown.

Graduate of the Sam Allardyce school of management, learned a lot of things he knows from Sam, and look where he's got Hull now. He's said in several interviews he owes a lot of his success to Sam.

It can't just be a coincidence.

Neither can the way Hull play.

Neither can the way Hull play.

If people don't abandon all dreams of us playing like Brazil then we will get nowhere. We didn't exactly have a great footballing reputation under Hughes did we? Both Allardyce and Brown brought in players like Okocha, Anelka and Giovanni who the fans could honestly say they enjoyed watching.

Exciting players generally cost money. Money that we don't have.

However, a small handful of managers have shown in recent years that it's possible to achieve results on a small budget. None of them played attractive football though, so what hope so we have of getting a manager and doing that?

I find it frankly ridiculous that people will be picky about the quality of football under the new manager, given both our current plight and the type of football under Hughes.

Exciting players generally cost money. Money that we don't have.

Been saying this since the summer and its getting quite boring reading about the 'poor football we played last season'. People have to realise when you do not have financial resources there is no choice but to grind out certain games.

Been saying this since the summer and its getting quite boring reading about the 'poor football we played last season'. People have to realise when you do not have financial resources there is no choice but to grind out certain games.

I was getting tired of it under the days of Hughes...

Attractive football is only appealing when you're successful with it. If someone can name me a Premier League team, since the League became so awash with cash (maybe post 2002) who were successful on a small budget and played great football, then I'd like to hear from them.

The Hull team that's amassed 7 more goals and 9 more points than we have? The Hull that are playing 4-4-2 every week including an attacking midfielder in Geovanni?

Did you go to the Hull game at Ewood? If you did you might have noticed Hull's tactics of time wasting before the half time whistle had even sounded, disrupting the flow of the game with niggling fouls and feigning injury as well as hitting long balls into the corners for rugby style territorial advantage.

I understand that we havn't got the wherewithall to play the game a la Arsenal but that dosn't mean we have to go down the Allardyce route or elevate his diciples to the status of football genius.

Phil Brown.

Graduate of the Sam Allardyce school of management, learned a lot of things he knows from Sam, and look where he's got Hull now. He's said in several interviews he owes a lot of his success to Sam.

Would you apply the same logic to little Sam then? Clearly if BFS is such an inspiration, where did it leave Bolton under SL - especially given that's the cliche that's thrown in to vindicate potting a manager out of his depth so early on?

Plus, if you're advocating Phil Brown so much, suggest you check his record at Derby - not exactly a benchmark for popularity or success.

Did you go to the Hull game at Ewood? If you did you might have noticed Hull's tactics of time wasting before the half time whistle had even sounded, disrupting the flow of the game with niggling fouls and feigning injury as well as hitting long balls into the corners for rugby style territorial advantage.

I understand that we havn't got the wherewithall to play the game a la Arsenal but that dosn't mean we have to go down the Allardyce route or elevate his diciples to the status of football genius.

I don't remember all that.

I had 2 over-riding memories of the match.

Hull weren't as boring as Bolton.

And they were the team trying to win it towards the end of the second half; they were somewhat unlucky and were certainly the more likely team to win.

And they were the team trying to win it towards the end of the second half; they were somewhat unlucky and were certainly the more likely team to win.

I would agree with your over-riding memories. If you didn't see Myhill taking an age over every goal kick the we'll have to agree to disagree on the rest.

I would agree with your over-riding memories. If you didn't see Myhill taking an age over every goal kick the we'll have to agree to disagree on the rest.

I'm not saying you're wrong-it's just not something that in all honesty I can remember: so many things have happened in the meantime!

Attractive football is only appealing when you're successful with it. If someone can name me a Premier League team, since the League became so awash with cash (maybe post 2002) who were successful on a small budget and played great football, then I'd like to hear from them.

Indeed passing the ball around in little triangles in midfield is useless. Whatever style is adopted has to have an end product and our goals for column testify's to that not being the case. We must be the easiest team to defend against in the Prem.

We had one really good move last week at WHL when Andrews played a peach of a pass to Emo and he nearly got around the full back but one move like that is simply not enough.

If someone can name me a Premier League team, since the League became so awash with cash (maybe post 2002) who were successful on a small budget and played great football, then I'd like to hear from them.

Off the top of my head, how about Reading a couple of seasons back. Might not have been Arsenal in disguise but were hardly kick and rush merchants. I seem to remember our last game of that season was a 3-3 draw with them for example. Maybe they got 'found out' in their second season, but I don't think that's the point at issue here.

Indeed passing the ball around in little triangles in midfield is useless. Whatever style is adopted has to have an end product and our goals for column testify's to that not being the case. We must be the easiest team to defend against in the Prem.

We had one really good move last week at WHL when Andrews played a peach of a pass to Emo and he nearly got around the full back but one move like that is simply not enough.

I have another abiding memory----------Dunn being hacked down 4 times in the first half and not reappearing since

Phil Brown.

Maybe Phil Brown is an argument against BFS.

As has been posted before - BFS decline at BWFC started when Little Phil left - coincidence?

Off the top of my head, how about Reading a couple of seasons back. Might not have been Arsenal in disguise but were hardly kick and rush merchants. I seem to remember our last game of that season was a 3-3 draw with them for example. Maybe they got 'found out' in their second season, but I don't think that's the point at issue here.

you've kind of disproved your theory as one season mid table hardly represents success.

There is only one thing that matters and that is at stake.

Will Blackburn Rovers be in the 2009/10 Premier League fixture list?

Nothing in life is guarranteed but looking around at the various alternatives I would put the odds at us avoiding relegation at:

BFS 90% confidence of staying up

Curbishley 50% confidence

Ince 10% and that is simply acknowledging we could get very lucky

As has been posted before - BFS decline at BWFC started when Little Phil left - coincidence?

What on earth are you talking about? Bolton's demise didn't start in 2005, it started when Allardyce left in 2007.

In the last two seasons with Brown as assistant they got 53 and 58 points. The following two seasons with Sammy Lee they got 56 points on both occasions.

Ah, you give some interesting points there!

At least he's honest, rather than making things up. There really aren't many logical reasons for not wanting Allardyce, other than the style of play he'd use and maybe a personal dislike of the man.

Yes, Reading. Where are they now, I wonder.

You guys won't remember (or care!) but in our "yo-yo" days, prior to Allardyce, we played good entertaining exciting football. ###### like Wenger and Ferguson used to praise us for the way we played the game, after sticking three or four goals up us. Praise like that wears off surprisingly quickly.

If you are Bolton, Blackburn or anybody else then Premier League survival comes first, second and last. Any other approach comes from la-la land. We have fans who would rather play entertaining football in the Chumpionship too. They are just as wrong. If you (or us) get relegated this season it may be a long time before we come back - if we ever do.

Archived