BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam Allardyce

There was a massive difference. Under Hughes Rovers did not engage in feigning injury to disrupt the flow of the game, attempt to knock the opposition out of their rhythm with niggling fouls that conceded free kicks in none dangerous areas and were not quite bookable. We did not hoof the ball into corners for territorial gain nor did we play for free kicks, corners and throw ins.

I'm sure that, if I could be @rsed trawling, I would find many of those championing Alardyce slagging off Bolton in the not to distant past. I can understand why they want Alaardyce now in these depressing, worrying times. He did achieve remarkable results at the Breezeblock (spending fortunes on wages).

IF Ince gets the sack I can see Rovers approaching him. IF (and imo it's a big if) he accepts then I'll back him. However if, as I suspect he will, he has us playing like a quasi rugby team then honestly I'd rather we were a real football team in the championship.

Sounds like a description of Wenger's Arsenal to me and the media love them.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you not think we are witnessing a lot of long ball at the moment?

I suppose I would lend my support to BFS if he was chosen purely for the same reasons it was given to Ince. However as a fan I'm not convinced that my support should be reluctantly given, I want to be inspired, excited by a managerial appointment so my support is whole hearted. Now don't take that as it will not be given or anything else of the sort just that I want to see proven ability not potential in charge. Its the one position at a club like ours that must have some guarantees IE he's a motivator/tactician/transfer master.

Yes we are seeing a lot of long balls at the moment and it annoys me when it comes straight back.

I agree with what you've said regarding supporting the manager. I'd be a little reluctant, (as I was with Souness) certainly, if BFS was manager. Hughes was one of those managers who got supported well because he is a motivator, a decent tactician and remarkably good at selecting a bargain from the transfer market. Hughes legacy is one of those reasons Ince hasn't received the same level of support, he hasn't shown the same skills yet and if at all. That's not saying he won't but right now he's a lot shy of where Hughes ended up.

I wouldn't want to see the 'up and under' football that has been Bolton's stock in trade for years but the good 'long' ball is direct and can be a very potent weapon.

This thread is rapidly turning into a football forum's version of "One flew over the cuckoo's nest."

Do get a grip!

I think Zulu is pointing out that you are just being silly for the sake of it, :D

I think Zulu is being silly for the sake of it. Does he deny that Bolton, under BFS, played up and under long balls? They played the percentages more often than they actually played football.

I think Zulu is being silly for the sake of it. Does he deny that Bolton, under BFS, played up and under long balls? They played the percentages more often than they actually played football.

You got there, Ivan. Long balls were just part of it. And no - I'm not going to get into a long discussion about it.

1 of the major + points for big sam is his ability to get the best out of his players.

For that reason alone, he would probably be the man to keep us up, if Ince was to go.

However if we had any bigger ambitions then we would have to put him on a very performance related contract with ambitous targets to meet. Surely we wouldnt be happy with mid table obscurity each season like Boro/ Sunderland or Fulham seem to be.

I remember when Soueness was trying to sign players before we got back into the Premiership, he used to complain that they were not interested in playing in the lower leagues, you should think back before you start complaining about mid table Premiership, when you go down it takes a lot of effort to get back if we ever could, there is no Uncle Jack backing us now!

This thread is rapidly turning into a football forum's version of "One flew over the cuckoo's nest."

Is it not time to report back in to The Wanderer site Zulu.

I do believe your being accused of being to nice to us dingles anyway

Sod the style, who will keep us in the Premier League this season?

Allardyce

Who has a great track record of getting his players super fit?

Allardyce

Who invented finding obscure and seemingly washed-out players and turning them into Premier League players?

Allardyce

Who has managed a small Lancashire club to three consecutive top ten finishes?

Allardyce and Hughes

Anyone arguing with this?

Is it not time to report back in to The Wanderer site Zulu.

I do believe your being accused of being to nice to us dingles anyway

I'm just a nice guy, trs. Some perceive it to be a weakness, but there you go. Good to see it's your self appointed job to report on happenings at The Wanderer. ;)

You hadn't thought it through, had you? :D

Allardyce

Who has a great track record of getting his players super fit?

Allardyce

Who invented finding obscure and seemingly washed-out players and turning them into Premier League players?

Allardyce

Who has managed a small Lancashire club to three consecutive top ten finishes?

Allardyce and Hughes

Anyone arguing with this?

With respect it wont be you who has to watch it week in week out.

Allardyce

If it was guaranteed I might go for it even though I'd not go to watch it. But there are no guarantees with the guy. He could do his best and we'd still end up relegated and saddled with him. You can't say he'll keep us up. I'm not bothereed about the style either if we stay up, but so many people assume he could do here what he did at Bolton and I just don't see it the way things have moved on in the last few years. He always had money to spend on paying big wages even if his players did not seem to cost much up front and if we don't have it then how's he going to persuade even the damaged goods he's taken on before to play for us.

When Rovers are in a lower division you and a couple of die hards will be the the only ones, even the media won't be interested! :lol:

We could do without those who turn their backs on the club when support is needed. As your smiley indicates, you find the club's pedicament amusing. It's just as well you wont be there if we go down. Plus you are extremely boring.

We could do without those who turn their backs on the club when support is needed. As your smiley indicates, you find the club's pedicament amusing. It's just as well you wont be there if we go down. Plus you are extremely boring.

Don't throw your toys out the pram just because I do not agree with your constant arguing! :P

Archived