BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam Allardyce

Its hardly as if he left a legacy at Bolton they've nosedived since he walked out of them before the season ended. He's only after the Bentley money!

Which shows how significant he was? :huh:

And this is the same Bolton who were able to spend over £15m in the summer. I don't think they could have done that if Allardyce had been putting his hand in the honey pot over the years.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm. Now who does that sound like?

Are you really comparing that to Ince?

Ince took a side which had finished 7th the previous season down into 19th. Giving him more time would carry on the slide, most likely. He'd also had no top level successes to inspire confidence.

Allardyce took a side which finished 5 points from relegation the previous season, up to 11th and then was sacked in January. There's every chance that giving him more time wouldve been a good move, especially considering his success with Bolton.

I sure as hell wouldn't mind Owen Coyle in charge actually. It would be downright hilarious to steal the Dingle's best manager in years right from under their noses. He's just a man who got a job at Burnley, while he's Burnley manager he's the enemy but if he betrayed Burnley for Rovers then that'd cancel out any Burnley ties he had.

Fine, I guess we have very different views on Humour.

United were the enemy for us not so long ago, they still are in a way, yet our last two managers now have been ex-United. If we carry on with this quite frankly immature line of thinking we're going to rule out a lot of good candidates, both this time and in future appointments.

Its not the same, they are not even in lancashire, rivals yes back in the day but not like Bolton, Preston or Burnley.

Brand my view as you like, but I notice you instantly skirt round the fact that 3000 other people felt the same in the summer. So lets consider this he gets appointted, I think given the ferousity of the protestation last time quite a few of them will not have changed their opinion. Our gate is already down 8%, so lets say another 1500 walk and people will. Regardless of your opinion of the situation you have to consider that others have a different one, and because of this there are other possibilities to your Idilic view on the situation. We cannot afford to lose more fans.

I disagree with you about players moving across divides being different to managers, I'd say they're both pretty similar. Man City appointed Hughes, an ex-United player. Surely if they can look past their MUCH bigger rivalry, we can too?

Hands up all those who along with me said when he took the job that he had just ruined his chances of managing Man Utd. I will wait with batted breath to see if he ever does, then you'll have a point, because it will be the same, its not yet.

What are you saying about Hughes' legacy then since we've nosedived since he left? If Hughes was so good why didn't he get offered the Newcastle job when Sam left? He sure as hell wanted it.

You'll notice since I never said anything about it, the answer to your question would be nothing. Yes I remember MH screaming from the roof top "gimme gimme gimme", Mmmm who got the Job is his nickname up there "the Messiah" I'll have to have a think over why Hughes lost out to him.

He's only after the Bentley money? Do you honestly believe the sh!t you are writing? 100+ staff? However many staff he brings (and it won't be 100+), if Bolton could handle it so could we and if it gets us winning and up the league then I couldn't give two hoots whether he employs a team of pricey strippers to keep the lads entertained at half time every match.

I'm going to have to remember flippant exagerated comments and sarcasm have no place on this board. I shall explain I did not write it to be taken "Literally" IE word for word. By saying he's only after the bentley money I was inferring that he was accussed of taking bungs from transfer monies, how quickly do you think it will take for his son to be floating round! Why is it Terry is no longer managing????

OK I exagerated by saying 100 again it was being used to illustrate that he would want lots of backroom staff, just so you know he had 21 full time staff at wanderers. thats almost 3 times the amount of a normal club. Again I'll write more literally in the future.

Our fans are becoming divided and will remain divided until we start winning and doing well again. The fact is that until that point happens there will always be arguments about whats going wrong at the club, whats the best way to take our club out of this mess etc etc.

It's a shame that this is what you feel most strongly about.

I feel most strongly about my club doing well, beating the big guns and becoming a force to be reckoned with again.

Again your missing and forgetting the fact that 3000 people felt the same and your banking on our current plight being enough to address the problem, wishful thinking I would suggest.

Ok I said I felt strongly. I love the way you've been able to not take that section in the literal sense of reading, as you have the rest of my post and ridiculed me for it.

Unfortunatly I have have said it may not be your opinion but alot of people felt the same last time, enough to force a withdrawal from his application. Are you that confident it will not do the same again IE protestations.

Its not the same, they are not even in lancashire, rivals yes back in the day but not like Bolton, Preston or Burnley.

Brand my view as you like, but I notice you instantly skirt round the fact that 3000 other people felt the same in the summer. So lets consider this he gets appointted, I think given the ferousity of the protestation last time quite a few of them will not have changed their opinion. Our gate is already down 8%, so lets say another 1500 walk and people will. Regardless of your opinion of the situation you have to consider that others have a different one, and because of this there are other possibilities to your Idilic view on the situation. We cannot afford to lose more fans.

Hands up all those who along with me said when he took the job that he had just ruined his chances of managing Man Utd. I will wait with batted breath to see if he ever does, then you'll have a point, because it will be the same, its not yet.

You'll notice since I never said anything about it, the answer to your question would be nothing. Yes I remember MH screaming from the roof top "gimme gimme gimme", Mmmm who got the Job is his nickname up there "the Messiah" I'll have to have a think over why Hughes lost out to him.

I'm going to have to remember flippant exagerated comments and sarcasm have no place on this board. I shall explain I did not write it to be taken "Literally" IE word for word. By saying he's only after the bentley money I was inferring that he was accussed of taking bungs from transfer monies, how quickly do you think it will take for his son to be floating round! Why is it Terry is no longer managing????

OK I exagerated by saying 100 again it was being used to illustrate that he would want lots of backroom staff, just so you know he had 21 full time staff at wanderers. thats almost 3 times the amount of a normal club. Again I'll write more literally in the future.

Again your missing and forgetting the fact that 3000 people felt the same and your banking on our current plight being enough to address the problem, wishful thinking I would suggest.

Ok I said I felt strongly. I love the way you've been able to not take that section in the literal sense of reading, as you have the rest of my post and ridiculed me for it.

Unfortunatly I have have said it may not be your opinion but alot of people felt the same last time, enough to force a withdrawal from his application. Are you that confident it will not do the same again IE protestations.

I think those who go on about Burnley being the enemy miss the point that for a lot of fans they are not. Many like myself cannot remember the rivalry between the 2 teams ever having a regular outlet. I understand that for some it is an entrenched view, much the same as for myself Sunderland are probably the team I hate most in a deep will never go away type way, because i was brought up among Boro fans. Many younger fans here and those who have moved into the area don't hate Burnley with the passion of the local born and brought up in rovers traditions. We remember beating Bolton to automatic promotion. We remember hating them as a team that season. We remember Diouf diving for that penalty. Our memories are no less valid for being more recent. We are still fans even if our support goes back ten or twenty years or even just two or three rather than the generations of some fans. And for some of us Bolton are the closest we come to having that derby rivalry that for some fans is Burnley - Rovers. Therefore it's true to say that for some fans, whose opinion cannot be discounted, Allardyce would not be welcome because he managed rovers. and while Mark Hughes may think he has been forgiven for being a United player, I know plenty of City fans who have not forgiven him, and plenty of United fans who probably never will

Most of your argument revolves around this 3000 Facebook group. I can bet you that a substantial proportion of that group who were so opposed to Sam in the summer won't be anywhere near as opposed to him now. I didn't want him in summer, now I feel he's the ideal candidate to get us out of this mess. Lots of people here have said that they didnt want him in summer, but now they wouldnt mind him. Our gate is already down 8% - that shows we need a COMPETENT manager who will take us up the table.

You assume 1500 will walk if he comes, I disagree completely. Remember the group wasn't "I won't go to Ewood if BFS joins", it was that they didn't want him as our manager. Big difference there. I'm sure most of that group would support Rovers through thick and thin. And if we get European football back at Ewood, which Sam did with Bolton, that will have a beneficial effect on our crowds. If, however, we make the wrong appointment and get relegated, we will definitely lose attendances. That is the sort of thing that loses crowds.

At the end of the day, if our chairman is using facebook groups as a key determinant as to who he should appoint, thats a bit of a sorry state of affairs isnt it?

I cannot see a scenario where we are holding our own against the top 4, doing well in cups as Bolton did and competing once more for a slot in the UEFA cup, where lots of fans are refusing to come to Ewood just because it's Sam Allardyce that's providing the success. I can see a scenario where we appoint a likeable, popular manager, get relegated or stay up and do badly next season, and do lose out majorly on attendances.

I think those who go on about Burnley being the enemy miss the point that for a lot of fans they are not. Many like myself cannot remember the rivalry between the 2 teams ever having a regular outlet. I understand that for some it is an entrenched view, much the same as for myself Sunderland are probably the team I hate most in a deep will never go away type way, because i was brought up among Boro fans. Many younger fans here and those who have moved into the area don't hate Burnley with the passion of the local born and brought up in rovers traditions. We remember beating Bolton to automatic promotion. We remember hating them as a team that season. We remember Diouf diving for that penalty. Our memories are no less valid for being more recent. We are still fans even if our support goes back ten or twenty years or even just two or three rather than the generations of some fans. And for some of us Bolton are the closest we come to having that derby rivalry that for some fans is Burnley - Rovers. Therefore it's true to say that for some fans, whose opinion cannot be discounted, Allardyce would not be welcome because he managed rovers. and while Mark Hughes may think he has been forgiven for being a United player, I know plenty of City fans who have not forgiven him, and plenty of United fans who probably never will

Whoops! Bolton

Point being that there are probably better leaders, tacticians and coaches in the Unipart league than we have at the moment. We have got a managerial Dunce.

People on here amaze me by thinking that we are something we are not. Look in the mirror at BRFC folks.

1. We cannot match the finances of the top half.FACT.

2. We are in the wrong part of the country. FACT.

3. We are an unfashionable, fairly unpopular club with little or no potential for growth. FACT.

4. We struggle to attract quality players because of our location and situation. FACT.

5. We are in danger of dropping out out the PL altogether.

6. We think we are something we are not. We cannot be choosy by mulling over some Fantasy Island list of possible managers cos they bloody well wont come. Why on earth would Jol / Bilic etc come here simply to be cash strapped and ultimately destroy their reputations? Why Jol anyway? He achieved much the same as Allardyce even though he had bundles of money! Whatever we do at BRFC is the equivalent in PL terms of putting lipstick on a pig. We will still be the pig in the press and media that Paul Ince mockingly inferred all those years ago.

Time for a reallity check folks. Because we took a wrong turning last year we are now in a hell of a fix. We are not too good or too important that we can gamble with our very existence at the top table. If 'wounded bear' Allardyce can do the job for us then thats all there is to it. We're in the sh1t because some of some goon's determination to play flimsy football at all costs for no good reason! We struggled to survive in this league for most of the past decade playing a version of in-your-face football accompanied with a strong work ethic. For some reason this idiot thinks that we can outplaylteams with superior players by taking them on at their own game! The mans a bloody disaster whose tenure imo will last long in the memory of BRFC down the years for all the wrong reasons.

There is nothing to recommend Allardyce except his past record which given the current circumstances is probably far better than we could hope for. Who else is ready and waiting to come here and who will cost virtually nowt? Whatever rumoured issues there are between Allardyce and the board / trustees need addressing now, we cannot afford people standing on silly immature principles.

Well said. 100% spot on. Apparently JW listened to some of the opinions here in the summer and went for Ince instead. Is there anyone with the benefit of hindsight who would not have rather had Allardyce than Ince?

Why don´t we have another poll? Allardyce, Ince or other candidates to see just how people think now? What they thought in the summer iis largely irrelevant now as finishing 7th is a long time ago and we are now in a relegation scrap. Didn´t the original post ask for this?

'drog is correct with regards to where we find ourselves now.

It was a different world and we had a genuine range of options when Hughes left but we chose to commit suicide by paying Ince £1.5m a year- hardly a cheap option.

Paul Ince was our Sammy Lee appointment. We had a chance to aim high but went for someone with no managerial experience in the top 3 leagues.

No, I am saying that Newcastle were a club that suffered from relegation battles both before and after his reign and it was only under Sam that they achieved some stability in the table, therefore he was unfairly sacked. Had he been given more time than six months he could have taken them further up the table. Is this really so hard to follow?

If we're discriminating against managers for being removed from their posts from Newcastle, then we can say the only two living managers who have won major trophies for us are both useless and were never good enough for Rovers. I would prefer he brings the sort of success he brought to Bolton at Rovers.

But no, carry on posting idiotic pictures like a five year old...it makes you look much better.

The only thing hard to follow is your logic - by hoping for Allardyce you are hoping Ince goes, and yet you post this nonsense.

Make your mind up.

The only thing hard to follow is your logic - by hoping for Allardyce you are hoping Ince goes, and yet you post this nonsense.

Make your mind up.

My logic should be pretty easy to follow. I've already made this point but acknowledge some may be a bit slow to catch on.

Allardyce:

Had previous sustained Premier League success with Bolton

Inherited a side 5 points from relegation

Took them to 11th in the league, an improvement, despite the club being a bit of a shambles

Therefore probably deserved more time and was unfairly removed from his post.

Ince:

Had no previous top level experience

Inherited a side which finished 7th last season

Has taken them all the way down to 19th, a big decline, despite the club having sustained top 10 finishes these last three seasons

Doesn't deserve any more time and should be removed before irrepairable damage is done.

So, exactly what is so hard to follow about this logic pedro?

I sure as hell wouldn't mind Owen Coyle in charge actually.

Well, according to the thought processes of some on here that wouldn't work. Whisper it, he used to play for Bolton Wanderers - and we are your "new enemy"! :lol:

Paul Ince was our Sammy Lee appointment. We had a chance to aim high but went for someone with no managerial experience in the top 3 leagues.

... is the right answer.

Well, according to the thought processes of some on here that wouldn't work. Whisper it, he used to play for Bolton Wanderers - and we are your "new enemy"! :lol:

... is the right answer.

Zulu,

Who do you think should be our next manager should (and I hope not) the board decide toi make a change?

It would be good to hear an objective opinion.

Good result today BTW

What an immature and inaccurate post.

What to say to that well thought and and constructive comment??? Let me think, this coming from the man who said I'm not renewing my season ticket I'm taking up golf. Guess that makes you as immature as me then doesn't it!

Most of your argument revolves around this 3000 Facebook group. I can bet you that a substantial proportion of that group who were so opposed to Sam in the summer won't be anywhere near as opposed to him now. I didn't want him in summer, now I feel he's the ideal candidate to get us out of this mess. Lots of people here have said that they didnt want him in summer, but now they wouldnt mind him. Our gate is already down 8% - that shows we need a COMPETENT manager who will take us up the table.

You assume 1500 will walk if he comes, I disagree completely. Remember the group wasn't "I won't go to Ewood if BFS joins", it was that they didn't want him as our manager. Big difference there. I'm sure most of that group would support Rovers through thick and thin. And if we get European football back at Ewood, which Sam did with Bolton, that will have a beneficial effect on our crowds. If, however, we make the wrong appointment and get relegated, we will definitely lose attendances. That is the sort of thing that loses crowds.

At the end of the day, if our chairman is using facebook groups as a key determinant as to who he should appoint, thats a bit of a sorry state of affairs isnt it?

I cannot see a scenario where we are holding our own against the top 4, doing well in cups as Bolton did and competing once more for a slot in the UEFA cup, where lots of fans are refusing to come to Ewood just because it's Sam Allardyce that's providing the success. I can see a scenario where we appoint a likeable, popular manager, get relegated or stay up and do badly next season, and do lose out majorly on attendances.

Yes it does 3000 people are over 10% of our gate and the thought of more people voting with their feet and the financial implications for our club scares the crap out of me.

I'm pleased you've said you didn't want him and have now changed your mind. I championed Laudrup and was against BFS for the same reasons as now. Just as you say the situation will have changed peoples view I can say it won't, lets call it catch 22. My perspective is enhanced by the fact BFS disappeared once the campaign became public light. I'm just not sure we can take the risk, you maybe right, but if your wrong what then, its one of those situations you hope never occur dammed if you do and dammed if don't, nasty.

Look 1500 was used because not everyone will share my view some will share yours so I went 50/50. At this point I need to add I did not put my name to the petition on facebook. They made it very clear they did not want BFS anywhere near our club. Now once again we enter the realms of fantasy and guesswork, but are you willing to bet the club on it??? I'm not and JW obviously isn't either, otherwise BFS would be in charge now. Its a crap situation one i would never envy JW but also one I believe he will have to deal with shortly

I have to say and if you check my posts you will also confirm that I have stated its a sorry state of affairs if our board are influenced by a facebook campaign. the trouble is they where and is it not unreasonable to assume that they could be again. Yes the majority may do like myself and still turn up after all I support rovers not BFS or anyone, but can we take that chance?

I honestly feel its too big a risk to take. However in response to your final paragraph I will still be at Ewood regardless of plight or manager. If we gain success along the way I will hold my hands up and say I was wrong, but that doesn't mean I have to like it, does it?

Unfortunately regardless of achievements accusations have been laid at his feet. His track record could compare to Ferguson's, it will not sway my opinion. I noticed the tone of some one Else's posts in response to BFS scenario, normally I consider him a voice of reason, however he calls BFS the "Antichrist"? its funny how somethings have the ability to instantly change the outlook of people, this sort of appointment will have that effect.

For our current plight we must become galvanised, as one, I fear should said scenario occur the exact opposite will happen. I can't even think about what that will mean for us as a club. The safety nets are gone if we go down we will more than likely stay down, I don't see the trust digging deep. Should a new man come in I don't want the best available it should be the best around. West Ham tick similair boxes to ourselves so why is BFS not there? why was it their fans went no thanks?

Appointing that man is playing with fire, we've tried that once this season already and I think we can all agree our fingers are almost burnt.

Mister Witt, be quiet now, will you? There's a good gentleman. You'll upset the lads.

Point being that there are probably better leaders, tacticians and coaches in the Unipart league than we have at the moment. We have got a managerial Dunce.

People on here amaze me by thinking that we are something we are not. Look in the mirror at BRFC folks.

1. We cannot match the finances of the top half.FACT.

2. We are in the wrong part of the country. FACT.

3. We are an unfashionable, fairly unpopular club with little or no potential for growth. FACT.

4. We struggle to attract quality players because of our location and situation. FACT.

5. We are in danger of dropping out out the PL altogether.

6. We think we are something we are not. We cannot be choosy by mulling over some Fantasy Island list of possible managers cos they bloody well wont come. Why on earth would Jol / Bilic etc come here simply to be cash strapped and ultimately destroy their reputations? Why Jol anyway? He achieved much the same as Allardyce even though he had bundles of money! Whatever we do at BRFC is the equivalent in PL terms of putting lipstick on a pig. We will still be the pig in the press and media that Paul Ince mockingly inferred all those years ago.

Time for a reallity check folks. Because we took a wrong turning last year we are now in a hell of a fix. We are not too good or too important that we can gamble with our very existence at the top table. If 'wounded bear' Allardyce can do the job for us then thats all there is to it. We're in the sh1t because some of some goon's determination to play flimsy football at all costs for no good reason! We struggled to survive in this league for most of the past decade playing a version of in-your-face football accompanied with a strong work ethic. For some reason this idiot thinks that we can outplaylteams with superior players by taking them on at their own game! The mans a bloody disaster whose tenure imo will last long in the memory of BRFC down the years for all the wrong reasons.

There is nothing to recommend Allardyce except his past record which given the current circumstances is probably far better than we could hope for. Who else is ready and waiting to come here and who will cost virtually nowt? Whatever rumoured issues there are between Allardyce and the board / trustees need addressing now, we cannot afford people standing on silly immature principles.

Just one major issue here WE ARE in the right part of the country in a hot bed of football the north west, what with Bolton, Wigan, Man U, Man C, Liverpool and Everton why be any where else the aim has to be better these clubs.

Zulu,

Who do you think should be our next manager should (and I hope not) the board decide toi make a change?

It would be good to hear an objective opinion.

Good result today BTW

I've said earlier (in this thread I think) that it has to be Allardyce, by a country mile. If anybody is capable of turning your season round (with your current squad and one or two additions in January) it must be him. And people shouldn't kid themselves. Your game now is survival, forget entertaining flamboyant football. Stay up - because you'll be a long time down! (So will we, if we get it wrong.)

I despise Allardyce, for the manner in which he left us and a couple of things he did to us after he left. But he's the best manager we have had (with the possible exception of Rioch, although I am in a minority on that one!)

He worked wonders on a limited budget - and to say that all we were were long ball merchants is just as daft as saying that Rovers are a bunch of cloggers. Just not true.

I'm struggling to think of anybody else who:

1) Would join you,

and

2) Could sort out your current problems quickly.

Apart from Souness, and you wouldn't want that!

We are both fairly unattractive Lancashire town clubs and a lot of managers reckon we are too much like hard work. By the way don't let anybody tell you that Bolton, Manchester, Liverpool, Wigan, Warrington, Bury, Rochdale and Oldham aren't in Lancashire! Don't let that old ###### of the 1974 Boundaries Changes confuse you! :D

What to say to that well thought and and constructive comment??? Let me think, this coming from the man who said I'm not renewing my season ticket I'm taking up golf. Guess that makes you as immature as me then doesn't it!

I never said that at all.

I've said earlier (in this thread I think) that it has to be Allardyce, by a country mile. If anybody is capable of turning your season round (with your current squad and one or two additions in January) it must be him. And people shouldn't kid themselves. Your game now is survival, forget entertaining flamboyant football. Stay up - because you'll be a long time down! (So will we, if we get it wrong.)

I despise Allardyce, for the manner in which he left us and a couple of things he did to us after he left. But he's the best manager we have had (with the possible exception of Rioch, although I am in a minority on that one!)

He worked wonders on a limited budget - and to say that all we were were long ball merchants is just as daft as saying that Rovers are a bunch of cloggers. Just not true.

I'm struggling to think of anybody else who:

1) Would join you,

and

2) Could sort out your current problems quickly.

Apart from Souness, and you wouldn't want that!

I dont really think that is the answer that he was looking for Zulu. ;)

I think Zulu's last post hit the nail on the head.

I will confess, there is no way I would have been anti-Allardyce had I thought for one nano-second that Ince was a serious contender for the job last summer.

How do anti-Allardyce posters feel with Souness as the next Manager?

basically there are 2 options right now, 1 being Allardyce and the other being Curbishley. i dont care which of those 2 comes in, as long as we stay up and move up this table. right now its just pure rubbish and we are in big mess.

I think Zulu's last post hit the nail on the head.

I will confess, there is no way I would have been anti-Allardyce had I thought for one nano-second that Ince was a serious contender for the job last summer.

How do anti-Allardyce posters feel with Souness as the next Manager?

As another of the Facebook 3,000, I also would't have been as anti-Sam if I'd believed for a minute that Ince was the alternative. I thought we'd at least try for someone good.

The trouble with appointing Souness is the fact that he is 10 years behind in training practises, and we saw how fat and unfit the players were before from 5 a side with the boss. Does anybody really think that Souness has the humility to learn new things? Though not.

As another of the Facebook 3,000, I also would't have been as anti-Sam if I'd believed for a minute that Ince was the alternative. I thought we'd at least try for someone good.

The trouble with appointing Souness is the fact that he is 10 years behind in training practises, and we saw how fat and unfit the players were before from 5 a side with the boss. Does anybody really think that Souness has the humility to learn new things? Though not.

Aha just about the first one to openly admit it! Congratulations but wtf were you think of? Facebook's for spotty thick

kids and internet groomers isn'it? :huh:

Re: Souness.......... Personally toward the end his team selection was pathetic and suicidal BUT I fell out with Souness terminally when he offended BRFC fans (and to an extent the entire country and even UEFA) by refusing to take european competition seriously. It was nowt to him but one of the biggest highlights of close on 50 years of supporting the Rovers to me. Instead of representing the town he embarrassed it. So screw him.

Archived