SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Winter In Lancashire

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrong county ... but never mind.

After leaving Croft Park in quite a grumpy mood last night, a stunning drive home over the northern Pennines completely made up for the poor game.

We took the A686 over Alston Moor and Hartside Pass.

For the 30 miles between leaving the A69 at Haydon Bridge until Langwathby just short of Penrith, we didn't see one single vehicle. Up on the moors, the moon was so bright and the night so clear, that the snow-covered expanses were shimmering silver and radiating a magical glow. I just wish I'd taken a proper camera.

Just another reminder of how lucky we are to live in the beautiful north of England.

Just another reminder of how lucky we are to live in the beautiful north of England.

Quite right, and I must say it's wonderful to have something approaching a proper winter for once.

Kids are having a great time in the snow, and the views of the snow-laden countryside here are stunning.

Good time to go walking, then back to the pub round the fire for "winter warmer" ale.

Wrong county ... but never mind.

After leaving Croft Park in quite a grumpy mood last night, a stunning drive home over the northern Pennines completely made up for the poor game.

We took the A686 over Alston Moor and Hartside Pass.

For the 30 miles between leaving the A69 at Haydon Bridge until Langwathby just short of Penrith, we didn't see one single vehicle. Up on the moors, the moon was so bright and the night so clear, that the snow-covered expanses were shimmering silver and radiating a magical glow. I just wish I'd taken a proper camera.

You've got soul and it's showing in your eyes Tris. You'll be writing poetry soon. (Daffodils has already been done)

Only kidding. I'll bet it was beautiful. :)

I don't know what you're worried about, it was 34c this arvo whilst at golf.

Thank goodness the beer was cold at the pub.

I'd rather have snow than 34 degrees any day.

Hell, I'd break out my old skis, walk up a few paddocks and get a few turns in.

pg, I remember my last winter in Lancashire vividly. November 1973, in the middle of the energy crisis of that time. Half lighting, half heating in the office. The 5th of that month, I was walking to work along the canal bank. It was sleeting and with a cold wind to boot. I got to work, rang the good lady to ok it and had the bookings done in fifteen minutes. From that day to this, my Mrs has made me promise, never again.

Well as I sit in my office in the heart of Chorley, the weak, milky stream of mid January sunshine dribbling over the side of my face, I can feel a nostalgic yearning for the days of my youth, struggling to wade through 12 inch drifts of snow down Astley Park after school,dragging plastic sheets and road works paraphernalia to the top of the hill to provide make-shift sledges.

Well as I sit in my office in the heart of Chorley, the weak, milky stream of mid January sunshine dribbling over the side of my face, I can feel a nostalgic yearning for the days of my youth, struggling to wade through 12 inch drifts of snow down Astley Park after school,dragging plastic sheets and road works paraphernalia to the top of the hill to provide make-shift sledges.

I used to do that too. When you are young you appear to have extra insulation.

Nowadays I can be seen dragging sun loungers to the sunniest spot near the pool. (On holiday not here in GB) and golf in the sun is much preferable to sledging on the hills.

Did you have to rub it in Dave you old barsteward. :rolleyes:

Like that one AS. Very New York Humour.

You know what they say about California....

They tipped the US on its side and anything that wasn't attached slipped into the west.

Sydney's weather isn't quite like that, we do have a cooler part of the year, (you know, when the Ginko turns golden brown) but it suits me (because it suits the Mrs) :rolleyes:

Worst thing about winter in Lancashire is the rain. I don't mind the cold and would hate to live in a permanently hot climate, but coming from the drier north east I find rain, and especially the combination of rain and wind almost unbearable. Give me that raw dry cold that almost takes away the lining on your throat if you breathe in too quickly and I'm happy.

Like that one AS. Very New York Humour.

You know what they say about California....

They tipped the US on its side and anything that wasn't attached slipped into the west.

Sydney's weather isn't quite like that, we do have a cooler part of the year, (you know, when the Ginko turns golden brown) but it suits me (because it suits the Mrs) :rolleyes:

I love the winter, but having lived in Los Angeles, I'd say that I missed the change of seasons more than anything. Yes, it got colder, but it just wasn't the same. No autumn, no spring, just a bit colder and then 2 days of rain and winter was done.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, in the last week SE Australia has been hit with a record-breaking heatwave.

Melbourne had successive days of 43, 44 and 45 degrees..culminating in widespread power failuers and blackouts throughout the city.

At those sorts of temperatures, it feels as if your eyeballs are being lightly seared.

What I wouldn't do for a nice bout of freezing rain.

Anyway, it was a cool and mild 29 today...33 tomorrow, with 43 forecast for Saturday and high bush fire danger...half the state will probably burn down.

hi birchy,sydney rover

they complain of the cild what a bout us sydney in the 40s next few days,in the cold you can put a coat on you can only remove so much in the heat.mind you they do on the beacheswhens the next lord nelson booze up??met you sat lunch got home sunday tea,that stella was good will have to catch up soon

aussie odg {ex sodgers}

You'd love it here pg, not freezing rain but a winter wonderland of deep, deep snow.

The countryside looks absolutely magnificent.

I bet..why don't you lot take some pictures for me? Apparently its dumped in Oxfordshire today..all my old workmates are stuck and can't make it in.

aussie odg - I agree with you 100%.. you can't 'escape' heat like that. If its -10 or -20 you can put your thermals on, gloves, hats, boots, scarves etc... when its 45 there is nothing to do but wear a big hat and cop it.

Having said that, a dry heat (like we had) isn't that bad. As long as you are in the shade...and don't move too much, you're OK. The hard part is sleeping when its 35 degrees in your house at midnight...or roasting inside a car/train getting home in the evening.

the temp is 30c or so, a nice seabreeze, wafts of Frangipani scent, parakeets in the tree, a cold beer........

Eating al fresco tonight, a cold rose, the kiwis flogging the Aussies at cricket. Friday night in the Sydney suburbs.....

stuff the snow, stuff the city slush, give me a crystal clear sky and sunshine.

Archived