BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New - Iphone 3gs

Seriously Ricky out of that Huge post that was on the only thing you could pick me up on... :rolleyes: Besides the iPhone doesn't even have an inbuilt FM radio so you've actually helped point out another thing that Apple don't bther with.

Well I was going to pick you up on app suddenly being synonymous with apple.

It always has been: they are they first three letters!

Then I thought how childish that would have been so I didn't bother.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The FM receiever in the iPhone has been locked out, any app that let's you hear radio is doing so through the 3G network, hence is using up uneccessary network bandwidth (and probably costing you money).

As for my point, there wasn't one. It was Ricky who took one line from my post and decided to concentrate on it. If you read the post it came from, the radio was a minor point which I wasn't making that much of.

All data is free.

Next

The fact that I just learned, that you are a software developer, is probably the least surprising thing I have ever heard.

Also, Charlie Brooker does in fact own an iPhone

All data is free.

Next

The fact that I just learned, that you are a software developer, is probably the least surprising thing I have ever heard.

It may be free but it takes up a hell of a lot of battery life. My battery usually lasts me half a day if I use the radio and listen to my music, as well as using the apps. Whilst I'm at uni I constantly have to recharge my iPhone. One of the main reasons why I switched to a Blackberry.

All data is free.

Next

It uses up network bandwidth. Selfish iPhone owners almost crippled the O2 network in the early days with all their constant data demands. If the iPhone has an FM receiver built in to it why lock it out? Anyway I've read that Apple should be unlcoking it in the next release so this will soon be a moot point anyway.

Really? Realllly?, well he didn't back in August last year....

I'm unmoved in the face of friends screaming at me to join the iPhone cult. It's horrible.

In fact you may want to read exactly what he does think of the iPhone generation in the full article here, he makes some points (a lot beter than I have)

He's not a big fan of Macs either...

And here's his take on the pointless iPad

"..a tw*t indicator :D :D :D"

Using Charlie Brooker as a positive in an Apple debate was a bad move BuckyRover, they guy hates Apple more than I do!

Even if he has changed his mind since (I doubt it) it does't prove anything. I'm not saying the iPhone is pants, I keep saying it's a good phone it's just most owners are deluding themselves as to how good it is and why they bought it. Brooker seems like a man to make a rational decision and buy one and actually thinking properly about it, the same way in which Glenn, Kamy100 and Paul did (the only 3 iPhone owners here who seem genuine from their posts)...

Google Maps navigation is now a free download for Android phones.

With voice guidance, street view, satellite view, live traffic info and voice control.

Meanwhile the mainstream media are drawing the same conclusions on the HTC Desire as the tech sites --- this from the Daily Telegraph ...

The HTC Desire is the best Google phone yet made, and one of the first handsets that is not only better on paper than an iPhone but also as good to use. A range of widgets that fix on the devices various homescreens make multitasking really easy, and Google's mapping software is superb because of the phone's impressive hardware, too.

Ok, iPhone, BlackBerry, Android and modern Nokia users. Go grab the free tapatalk app (or the paid version if you're in the habit of paying for stuff without knowing what it is) from wherever you phone gets it's apps from. Once installed search in it for brfcs and let me know what you think.

Glenn - Im posting from it now.

Very good, much more user friendly than the normal web browser!!

No avatars loading up though and it would perhaps be good if you could split posts by perhaps 2 colours or something? Just to break it up n make it easier to read!

Cheers

Ok, iPhone, BlackBerry, Android and modern Nokia users. Go grab the free tapatalk app (or the paid version if you're in the habit of paying for stuff without knowing what it is) from wherever you phone gets it's apps from. Once installed search in it for brfcs and let me know what you think

Excellent. One of the few apps I've come across that is worth having. Nice tip Glenn. Did cost me £1.79 though as the free one in iTunes is Read Only. :)

Ok, iPhone, BlackBerry, Android and modern Nokia users. Go grab the free tapatalk app (or the paid version if you're in the habit of paying for stuff without knowing what it is) from wherever you phone gets it's apps from. Once installed search in it for brfcs and let me know what you think.

Uploaded the free version from the Android Market ... got to say I can't see the point at all!?

I'm able to load BRFCS in normal format via my mobile's browser - zoom in and out, read comfortably, use every feature - why would I want to get the same content via an unfamiliar set up? Whilst the interface is quick on Tapatalk, loading the content was slower than via the normal web browser on my phone.

So it's a thanks but no thanks from me! rover.gif

A phone that comes out ages after its main rival SHOULD be better. You will now have to make the comparison between the desire and the next generation iphone.

The HTC Touch HD beat the crap out of the iphone 3g when they were out at the same time. It still beat the updated 3gs firmware as well which came out a good 6 months after the HD. It was only the moronic apple loving media (including the Gadget Show) that decided it was pants due to windows even though it won on ALL their tests. Granted, Windows is not a great UI but it was out doing touch screen stuff/word processing/Sat Nav/Web Browsing/Email etc etc, many many years before apple even thought they could make money out of mobiles.

There are better phones now that I would want, the HTC desire being one of them. Just found that I can run Android on my HD though so might hold off for a while.

Hi Glenn, I've had a go on the free version.

I like the format and the ease that you van navigate the board. There are a couple of early observations, things that I kind of take for granted.

- You can't tell who has been quoted when someone replies to another post

- You can't go straight to the most recently added post in a thread, which means having to scroll down every time

Might seem minor gripes but an app at nearly £2 should make things easier than a standard browser.

It's not quite there (for me) yet. Unless these are available in the paid version? In which case I'd be more likely to use it.

Hi Glenn, I've had a go on the free version.

I like the format and the ease that you van navigate the board. There are a couple of early observations, things that I kind of take for granted.

- You can't tell who has been quoted when someone replies to another post

- You can't go straight to the most recently added post in a thread, which means having to scroll down every time

Might seem minor gripes but an app at nearly £2 should make things easier than a standard browser.

It's not quite there (for me) yet. Unless these are available in the paid version? In which case I'd be more likely to use it.

They don't appear to be. Main difference seems to be ability to access your own account and to add replies.

I should point out that the tapatalk app is nothing to do with me, all I've done is modify all the various forums I run to allow taptalk to access it.

For more info on the company and the tapatalk apps see http://www.tapatalk.com/

oh and you should be able to login with different accounts on the free version, it seems posting and sending PMs.

Personally, I prefer the the normal safari access when I'm using 3G or wifi, but tapatalk when I'm on a slow connection.

I was going to ask if some of the changes are why hyperlinks aren't working properly (opening new pop-up window AND re-directing the BRFCS page).

But I guess we should be asking these questions in "Ask Admin".

So MB users are allowed multiple accounts/ids? What do you mean by "it seems about posting and sending PM's"?

What Glenn means is tapatalk will store more than one user account per forum. If two or more people members of the same forum each account is stored, just as happens on a PC. As for the other bit, his punctuation is rubbish, that's all. :)

Just discovered this thread. I've got an iphone 3GS and love it. I don't understand why people say the camera is crap - it's great for close up stuff but lacks zoom and doesn't function well in lower light levels but no phone camera I've ever had did.

Downsides:

No flash (software)

No flash camera

No zoom

Err...that's it. The phone does exactly what I want it to do and the functionality is fantastic.

However, I'm not blinded to think I won't ever swap to another phone but I'm genuinely not aware of there being something better on the market. I'd be interested to see what's around in a year's time. BTW I've never owned another Apple product and have little interest in owning one.

Just re-newed my Orange contract. Descided against upgrading to the iphone (it would`ve cost £189.99 to upgrade) & tbh i actually like my N95 8gb. I only use it as a phone & camera, so it`s ideal for me.

....Anyway, i was offered a choice of upgrades by orange & went for the Nokia x6 (16gb) touch phone. I`ve had a go with it, but i`m not impressed. There`s too much fannying about with it for my liking, so i`m sticking with the N95 8gb.

I might end up selling the x6 on ebay. They`re going for stupid money (£150-£200) on there. It could well help swell the holiday spending money :tu:

Archived