BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New - Iphone 3gs

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul have you had any joy setting up the iphone with the parrot handsfree??

It was tricky to begin with, both the Parrot and the iPhone recognised each other but wouldn't connect. I googled the problem and found a useful tip. If you have previously paired the Parrot with other phones, unpair and delete these before attempting to pair the iPhone. I did this and then successfully paired first time and it now connects instantly when I turn on the ignition. I have the CK3100.

I can't pair with my TomTom to get traffic updates or WiFi services as my TomTom is too old. At some point I'll probably get a SatNav on the iPhone.

I switch the bluetooth off when i get out of the car as it seems to be heavy on the battery with constant searching

For those iPhone 3G users who were early adopters and signed up to the 18 month deal with o2, you should be aware that o2 now have £15 a month SIM only contracts (yearly or monthly) which have unlimited texts, unlimited internet and 300 minutes per month. Just a couple of clicks away on the o2 website and you'll save yourself £20 a month.

Good advice there Groobs. Another piece of advice for those on the original O2 tariffs. If you are still within your 18 or 24 month contract you can change to a different tariff. O2 now offer a 35 quid Iphone tariff with unlimited texts. the minutes drop from 500 to 300 but you do get unlimited texts. The downside is that you have to pay 20p fr multimedia messages and your texts from abroad are charged but its a good option for people who regularly go over their text allowance.

For those iPhone 3G users who were early adopters and signed up to the 18 month deal with o2, you should be aware that o2 now have £15 a month SIM only contracts (yearly or monthly) which have unlimited texts, unlimited internet and 300 minutes per month. Just a couple of clicks away on the o2 website and you'll save yourself £20 a month.

I may be spending less time in the UK soon, would I be able to switch my iphone tariff to this before the end of my contract? I know you usually have to be over 9 months into my contract, which I would be, but it's a 24 month contract and I'd have about a year left to run. Anyone know if this is possible?

I know I mentioned the parrot Bluetooth handsfree earlier bt if anyone interested I have one for sale. I bought an MKi9100 before I decided that I really wanted the 9200. The box is still factory sealed and it has obviously never been opened or used. £159.99 at halfords but I'll take £110 for it. Had it since Xmas so can't really take i back otherwise I would. Happy to post or I'm at ewood next Sunday if anyone's interested. Does all the same things as the 9200 but doesn't have the full colour screen. Google it for more information.

• 4 weeks later...

Just off the phone to Orange and it's bye bye to the Nokia N82 ... I've upgraded to the new HTC Desire which is running the Android 2.1 operating system ... got a nice deal including 600 talk minutes + unlimited texts + unlimited internet + unlimited email + free handset = £17.50 per month.

Will be interesting to see how it performs next to the iPhone 3GS ... the raw specs make an interesting comparison --

Processor = 1Ghz on the HTC vs 600Mhz on the iPhone, and RAM = 576MB vs 256MB ... it's basically built to multitask, and the browser is a cracker apparently (and supports flash based web pages unlike the iPhone).

Techradar rates it one place above the iPhone in their current rankings.

Delivery due tomorrow, could be a geeky weekend wacko.gif

New iphone out soon dont forget.....improved screen (same as the new ipad thing), multitask, better processor, 5mp camera, fm transmitter etc all being discussed about being on the new. Oh and Quad band!

• Backroom

OS4 looks good, folders and mutlitasking are handy but should have been there already.

Apple have played a blinder really, release the product without certain things and it sells like hotcakes then they can just add a few of the missing things year on year and release a new product.

I'm happy though as my 3Gs works with all the new additions but 3Gs dont so many will upgrade, coincidentally just as 24 month contract run out

Guest Kamy100

OS4 looks good, folders and mutlitasking are handy but should have been there already.

Apple have played a blinder really, release the product without certain things and it sells like hotcakes then they can just add a few of the missing things year on year and release a new product.

I'm happy though as my 3Gs works with all the new additions but 3Gs dont so many will upgrade, coincidentally just as 24 month contract run out

OS4 looks great, especially Apple's version of Xbox Live. Love the new e-mail features as well.

Big shame that 3G owners will not be able to do the Multi-tasking, thankfully my 3G contract finishes in June, the 4th Gen Iphone should be out by the end of July/Early August so will hold fire and buy that.

Is this just going to be a system update for 3GS iPhone owners or am I going to have to purchase a new 3GS phone when it is released to reap the benefits of the new OS?

Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question :)

• 2 weeks later...

First, my apologies......(i`ve hardly read any of this thread) :unsure:

My 18month orange contract is up next month & i can upgrade to an iphone 3gs for £189.99 (i only have £25-£30 a month plan) or just get an ordinary phone for free.

Is the iphone worth the shelling out? :huh:

I currently have a Nokia N95 8gb. It`s a good phone & i`ve no problems with it. I could sell the N95 to recoup some of my outlay.....but is it really worth it?

Many thanks you techno guys ;)

If you like just browsing the internet now and then, using emails, will take advantage of a few of the apps and music/video capability then go for it if you have the money. I paid about 175 for mine and don't regret it one bit.

If you like just browsing the internet now and then, using emails, will take advantage of a few of the apps and music/video capability then go for it if you have the money. I paid about 175 for mine and don't regret it one bit.

Sometimes in my job, i`m sat around waiting for a fare. I`d love to be able to read on-line papers, watch the news or just surf my favourite websites.

If you want a phone. It's a stupidly expensive way to get one. If you love the idea of access to all your favourite internet sites and toys in your pocket, then you'll wonder how you ever coped without one.

First, my apologies......(i`ve hardly read any of this thread) :unsure:

My 18month orange contract is up next month & i can upgrade to an iphone 3gs for £189.99 (i only have £25-£30 a month plan) or just get an ordinary phone for free.

Is the iphone worth the shelling out? :huh:

I currently have a Nokia N95 8gb. It`s a good phone & i`ve no problems with it. I could sell the N95 to recoup some of my outlay.....but is it really worth it?

Many thanks you techno guys ;)

The iPhone is a lot of fun and very good at what it does - for me that means e-mail, synchronise with Outlook and make calls. It is all very simple and, as I think I've said before, it just works very, very well. Most of the apps are little more than toys though I have found a really nice one to use with my cycling. Browsing the web is generally very good and easy. You drive a cab? The GPS and onboard maps are excellent. My contract is around £30 / month with Orange and the iPhone was free. TBH I wouldn't consider paying £190 for any phone.

It is a very good phone, but I'm not in love with it.

Archived