BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Franco Di Santo

25782_news.jpg

At the risk of jinxing the deal, it's been revealed that Chelsea's number 9, and refugee from the Scolari days, Franco Di Santo is our mystery Mister X, and to mixed reactions.

Video:

Di Santo in his Audax days

Stats:

Soccerbase stats

He looks like a decent player - don't they all on Youtube! - but with a very unselfish streak. Despite his team ethic, he scored 19 goals in 17 games during 2007-2008.

It's only a loan - unless we manage to negotiate an option to buy. Shame we couldn't have got him last season for the reported £3M he cost Chelsea. (And Villenueva was on sale at £5M?!)

Is he the real deal? Could he be a replacement for Rocky? Would he put up with being on the bench at Rovers? Are we guaranteeing him playing time - that's what Chelsea would want if they rate him as a prospect - step up from the stiffs anyway.

I'm fairly open-minded about him. If he has Carlos' talents but has the size and physique for the Premier League then he could be a good 'un.

If Chilean Dude still reads this board, it'd be good to get his thoughts too!

What does anyone think?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can we offer an opinion on a player people have only ever 'heard' stories on.

There's a reason Chelsea are releasing him and there's also a reason other clubs with more mullah haven't jumped on ship to get him... :unsure:

"Allardyce hopes Di Santo is a done deal but Chelsea's new boss Carlo Ancelotti wants to see him train and play before deciding if he can go on loan, so the move is on ice until mid-July."

This part is what makes these news pretty underwhelming in my book. He sounds like an exciting prospect, but he'll only come if he fails to impress Ancelotti. Oh well!

Was it Nicko's story??

sorry Jisty,

I think he'd be pretty decent not as a RSC direct replacement tho

No problem Bubble.

I certainly wouldn't have announced if I'd known before the People story.

Apparently we have first option if he is made available for loan. I'd love to know why?

So let me get this right. Di Santo will 1st be checked out by Ancelotti, if he doesnt impress then we can take him on loan. However my main concern is, if he impresses during his loan, Chelsea will just recall him. Play him for a while, and then sell him to somebody else, unless there is an agreement in place about a set fee to us.

So let me get this right. Di Santo will 1st be checked out by Ancelotti, if he doesnt impress then we can take him on loan. However my main concern is, if he impresses during his loan, Chelsea will just recall him. Play him for a while, and then sell him to somebody else, unless there is an agreement in place about a set fee to us.

From what Nicko has said Chelsea rate him and want him to play in their first team after he has some experience. Fair enough.

If he does really well I imagine he would get recalled early. But whats the problem with that? We will sign another striker anyway, and it would mean he has scored goals and won us points.

Very sensible.

What is intriging is that Sam wants 2 striekrs before Derbs goes, let alone Roque. So we are likely to have five on the books.... plus Diouf who can play up top, plus Samba who can do a shift.

We will be well decked out. I like Sam's thinking. Suggests we will go 442 or 433 rather than 451 as well.

From what Nicko has said Chelsea rate him and want him to play in their first team after he has some experience. Fair enough.

If he does really well I imagine he would get recalled early. But whats the problem with that? We will sign another striker anyway, and it would mean he has scored goals and won us points.

Very sensible.

What is intriging is that Sam wants 2 striekrs before Derbs goes, let alone Roque. So we are likely to have five on the books.... plus Diouf who can play up top, plus Samba who can do a shift.

We will be well decked out. I like Sam's thinking. Suggests we will go 442 or 433 rather than 451 as well.

Elrio has also played striker before, so thats another option.

Actually Joey, looking at it i think Sam is thinking at getting in players, who are versatile. I like that thinking, and helps us in the event of injuries and suspensions.

I know what you mean Iceman but it's the market we are in.

We are after freebies and loans so we need to get the best freebies and loans available.

It's why Di Santo, even on these terms makes sense.

And incidentally why I'm in favour of Owen on the other thread.

So Chelsea want to loan him out to get some Premier League experience. That suggests that they thinking of him in the long term, and it's good the Sam got in there with Rovers getting first refusal. Plus, as Nicko says, we're getting in two strikers in before Matty goes, so it says to me that this is Mr Y not the fabled Mr X.

I think it could be a good signing, I just hope that Ancellotti is impressed, but with Di Santo having no experience, and with Anelka, Drogba (and anyone else that they try to bring in) it does make sense to 'farm' him out somewhere else. And if he's as good as he's supposed to be, it may as well be us. After all, as young and relatively unknown strikers go, Rossi and that other one this season, I forget his name -Macheda?, did alright at Man U. And it does at least saves Sam some much needed cash to strengthen the midfield and get another striker in.

Guest benmaxwell
Nicko's said various times that this isn't a replacement for RSC.

Did somebody tinker with his article before it went out in the papers then?

My issue is, we have probably been put at the head of the pile with regards to Di Santo as we have probably agreed not to persue our interest in Daniel Sturridge.

We have also (according to Nicko) agreed that we will play Di Santo in the first team regardless. So we are missing out on a perminant signing player we have been linked with for a while (Sturridge), for the sake of making one of the Chelsea team players better.

Chelsea get their man in Sturridge, and we take the risk of playing one of their young stars. If he is rubbish, they don't miss out but we get left in 'it' and if he is any good. We loose him at the end of the season with Sturridge happily relaxing with a 3-4 year contract at Chelsea.

I'm sorry, from where i'm sitting, i can't help but be sceptical about this 'arrangement'. The only way i would be happy is if we bring in a striker better then Di Santo if we sell Cruz, and if we bring in Santo, and take the risk that comes with a newbie, we have a option to buy at the end of the season for a reasonable (for Chelsea) fee.

Archived