BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Ashes

I seriously doubt the pitch will begin to 'turn' on day 2.

Btw - As dave birch mentioned previously, you really should look at Clarke's BBI... 6/9 against India in Nov 04'. Completely 'bamboozled' them..

Taken from the Telegraph (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/stevejames/9835899/Cardiff_pitch_raises_questions_ahead_of_Ashes/)

Are there alarm bells ringing? In just over seven weeks’ time the Ashes begin in Cardiff, a virgin venue in Test cricketing terms. And Glamorgan have just been penalised two points (to be applied in the 2010 Friends Provident Trophy) for a poor pitch, one giving “excessive turn”,

Robert Croft Ex England and more importanly Ex Glamorgan offie; also believes the pitch will start to turn on second day.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Taken from the Telegraph (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/stevejames/9835899/Cardiff_pitch_raises_questions_ahead_of_Ashes/)

Are there alarm bells ringing? In just over seven weeks time the Ashes begin in Cardiff, a virgin venue in Test cricketing terms. And Glamorgan have just been penalised two points (to be applied in the 2010 Friends Provident Trophy) for a poor pitch, one giving excessive turn,

Robert Croft Ex England and more importanly Ex Glamorgan offie; also believes the pitch will start to turn on second day.

Not trying to turn this in to a competition, but that article was written seven weeks ago

This one is less than a week old - Cardiffs pitch exaggerated

"GLAMORGAN has advised Australia that reports of a raging turner for the first Test in Cardiff are greatly exaggerated, which spells bad news for Nathan Hauritz and puts Australian captain Ricky Ponting under pressure on the thorny issue of over rates.

The chances of Australia fielding four quicks in the first Ashes Test increased considerably last night when Matthew Maynard, head of cricket at the Welsh county Glamorgan, said a game in which the county was docked points for preparing a pitch that took excessive spin created a false impression of conditions at Sophia Gardens, which stages its first Test from July 8."

Spin mystery

Not trying to turn this in to a competition, but that article was written seven weeks ago

This one is less than a week old - Cardiffs pitch exaggerated

"GLAMORGAN has advised Australia that reports of a raging turner for the first Test in Cardiff are greatly exaggerated, which spells bad news for Nathan Hauritz and puts Australian captain Ricky Ponting under pressure on the thorny issue of over rates.

The chances of Australia fielding four quicks in the first Ashes Test increased considerably last night when Matthew Maynard, head of cricket at the Welsh county Glamorgan, said a game in which the county was docked points for preparing a pitch that took excessive spin created a false impression of conditions at Sophia Gardens, which stages its first Test from July 8."

Spin mystery

We shall see come Thursday/Friday whether or not the pitch is a big turner.

Everything that I have read/witnessed point’s to a turning wicket. Most of the pundits on sky ( as much as that’s worth) also believe that the pitch will turn big- mainly due to the fact that the pitch isn’t really ready for test match cricket.

May the best team win!

I absolutley love cricket whilst I despise the Aussies just as much as I despise all things Burnley.

England must win the first test and if they do it will give them the springboard required.

There is no doubting that this aussie team is NOT as good as the last Ashes winning team and there are doubts about the Ebglish bowling and batting options.

I will miss the 2nd and 3rd tests due to being away on holiday and would settle for a 1-0 English win.

Bazza, listening to Sky, TMS and some other people 'in the know' it seems that the groundsman has got to grips with the pitch and it will likely be a dead batsman's paradise as Glamorgan need the whole 5 days to start repaying the massive Bung they gave the ECB to host this test.

Mr Rob Smyth of Guardian Unlimited and TWC has sent the following

1) What is your one stand out great Ashes Memory?

Edgbaston 2005, turning up for work still drunk, presuming an easy England win, then slowly going through the mincer until the point defeat seemed inevitable. Then it happened: Steve Harmison dismissed Mike Kasprowicz, prompting an explosion of joy and an impromptu embrace with a male colleague so vigorous that we've barely made eye contact since.

2) What is your stand out worse?

Adelaide 2006.

3) I know a victory over a 5 test match series can never be boiled down to one factor, as umpiring decisions, batting, fielding, bowling, tactics, weather and of course luck all play massive parts, but what one factor do you think led to England (and Wales) winning in 2005?

Glenn McGrath standing on a cricket ball and injuring his ankle a few minutes before the Edgbaston Test. It's ironic that cricket's greatest series was decided during a game of touch-rugby. Both Australia's defeats came without McGrath; with him, I think they might even have won 5-0.

4) And what one factor led to Australia getting their revenge in 2006/2007?

They always were a better team - England simply caught them on the hop in 2005 - and that, allied to home advantage, a desire for revenge unparalleled in sporting history, and the loss of a number of key England players (and Troy Cooley) made the result inevitable.

5) What do you think will be the deciding factor in this years Ashes?

Which side gets the most reverse-swing.

6) Who will be the main players for England and Australia?

Kevin Pietersen, not only as England's best player but also the only man who bats at a matchwinning tempo. It is inconceivable that England can win the series if he doesn't score at least 500 runs. The same isn't quite true of Phillip Hughes, but the pace at which he scores can change games completely, just as Michael Slater used to. In terms of bowling, James Anderson and Mitchell Johnson have both been massively hyped and have much to live up to, especially Anderson.

7) Who do you think will surprise us, as Pietersen did in 2005?

Peter Siddle has the mongrel and savvy to take a lot of wickets.

8) Who do you think will score the most runs?

Pietersen and Hughes.

9) Who do you think will take the most wickets? and finally

Swann and Siddle.

10) What is your prediction for the final score?

3-1 Australia

Well, I'm looking forward to the action. I think Rashid should have been ahead of Panesar in the pecking order, he is a better bowler and we don't even need to go into Monty's other disciplines.

What's everyone's opinion on Harmison? I must admit to never wanting to see him in an England shirt again since a couple of years ago, but I am now wondering whether he should be in there to ruffle the Aussies feathers. He seems to be in good form of late. Perhaps not on a slow pitch as Cardiff sounds, but on faster tracks he should be considered in my opinion.

I think Australia will have too many runs for us, their bowling attack is inferior because of lacking a decent spinner, but I think our batting is still considerably weaker than theirs.

What's everyone's opinion on Harmison? I must admit to never wanting to see him in an England shirt again since a couple of years ago, but I am now wondering whether he should be in there to ruffle the Aussies feathers. He seems to be in good form of late. Perhaps not on a slow pitch as Cardiff sounds, but on faster tracks he should be considered in my opinion.

Personally i think they made the right decision, Harmison is very much a pitch bowler in the sense that if the pitch doesn't have that pace or bounce he offers little. If a test was at Old Trafford then i would seriously consider him, overall though i am not a fan of his.

Lee reported as a real doubt due to a rib injury

Scans being conducted as we speak - should hear back on this tonight... The sky sports pillocks are now reporting on the rumor that Lee is out of the entire series (or at least two tests)? Guess we will see, but I think the first is doubtful, but back for the second...

Maybe a call up for champagne Doug? Played very well in the two unofficial tests against Pak A (so did Moses Henriques and Crazy...) in Townsville. I also noticed (and this one is for you Neekoy), that Klinger didn't play well at all :P

I don't care if we put McDonald or Watson in, but the last thing I want to see is Hilfenhaus in the first XI...

What's so bad about Hilfenhaus? I was under the impression he was a decent prospect.

He's not that bad, IMV he is not a test bowler.. I would rather see Bollinger.

He is out with an "injury". I smell a rat, more time in th nets I think before they give him another shot.

What? :blink:

Why create such an elaborate smoke screen, all in aid of more net practice? If you watched his interview, I'm sure you would change your view.

Can't believe how close this is now, 4 years we've been waiting for this.

On a slightly sombre note though, does anyone else feel slightly underwhelmed at the prospect due to the new look of the Aussie side? Doesn't quite have the excitement that facing a side with Warne, McGrath, Langer, Gilchrist etc had.

Archived