BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Ashes

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slight difference is McGrath was far more key to the Aussie line-up in 05' than Lee is in 09'.

Siddle, Johnson, Clark and McDonald/Watson/Hauritz will do me

Not sure Assie that that attack is good enough

Johnson is class and I fully expect him to be the leading wicket wicket taker in the series he also has a better batting average than Freddie, but the back up is very inexperienced without Lee and have a history of injuries

Peter Siddle. Age: 24. Tests: 7. Wickets: 29. Ave: 27.65 good quick bowler with lots of potential but is he up to the ashes and will he stay fit

Ben Hilfenhaus. Age: 26. Tests: 3. Wickets: 7. Average: 52. good swing bowler with lots of potential but is he up to the ashes and will he stay fit

Shane Watson. Age 27. Tests: 8. Runs 257 Ave: 19.76. Wickets: 14 Ave 35.57. Hugely talented all rounder but with a horrific injury record

Nathan Hauritz. Age: 27. Tests: 4. Wickets: 14. Ave: 32.28. has yet to convince even his captain he is a test bowler should stay fit which could please Pieterson

22 wickets between them

Compared to England’s back up to Freddie of Anderson Broad Swan and Panesar with 330 wickets between the 4

OK they may all come off but it’s a big risk

Cardiff’s pitch will turn so says the great man

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/cri...icle6651298.ece

I believe your lack of spinning options will come back to haunt you and please don’t give me the Michael Clark took 6 wickets against India that was 43 tests ago he is a part time bowler

Right now Ponting is in a dilemma can he risk Hauritz or go with 4 seam bowlers 3 of which are inexperienced on a pitch, which is likely to favour spin

Not a good position to be in and if you needed convincing ask yourself this question.

If Warne went to Ponting today said he was fit and available--- would he play? B)B)

Not sure Assie that that attack is good enough

Johnson is class and I fully expect him to be the leading wicket wicket taker in the series he also has a better batting average than Freddie, but the back up is very inexperienced without Lee and have a history of injuries

Peter Siddle. Age: 24. Tests: 7. Wickets: 29. Ave: 27.65 good quick bowler with lots of potential but is he up to the ashes and will he stay fit

Ben Hilfenhaus. Age: 26. Tests: 3. Wickets: 7. Average: 52. good swing bowler with lots of potential but is he up to the ashes and will he stay fit

Shane Watson. Age 27. Tests: 8. Runs 257 Ave: 19.76. Wickets: 14 Ave 35.57. Hugely talented all rounder but with a horrific injury record

Nathan Hauritz. Age: 27. Tests: 4. Wickets: 14. Ave: 32.28. has yet to convince even his captain he is a test bowler should stay fit which could please Pieterson

22 wickets between them

Compared to England’s back up to Freddie of Anderson Broad Swan and Panesar with 330 wickets between the 4

Where is Stuart Clark??? Where does your 22 wickets come from?

Looking at the numbers

Johnson - 94 (20)

Clark - 90 (22)

Siddle - 29 (7)

Hauritz - 14 (4)

Thats 227 wickets amongst the four, in a total of 53 tests combined...

Swann 34 (7)

Broad 46 (17)

Anderson 128 (37)

Onions 10 (2)

Thats 218 wickets amongst the four, in a total of 63 tests combined...

You drop one of your spinners (IMV you will not play two at Cardiff, especially with the current weather) and the main four bowlers are fairly even, based on your analogy.

I guess we will see over the next 5-6 days and as I have said (if you bothered to read previous posts), this series will be quite close.

if Clarke has to bowl a lot of overs he'll crock himself.

Losing Lee is a big loss, if just for his excellent batting in the tail.

Clarke will be fine..

I'll agree on the loss of Lee (although dave doesn't seem to agree with you), but please dont forget that Katich & North can both part time bowl.. Which the same cannot be said for KP, although you do have Colly..

Aussie sorry meant to say 22 tests not wickets

But the point is still valued

After Johnson who is the best bowler on either side Australia have a relatively inexperienced and injury prone attack

Clark - 90 (22)

Siddle - 29 (7)

Hauritz - 14 (4)

Hilfenhaus- 7 (3)

After Freddie 211 (74 ) England have

Swann 34 (7)

Broad 46 (17)

Anderson 128 (37)

Panesar 125 ( 38)

The groundsman reports a flat pitch with little help for the fast bowlers turning on the last couple of days

Ponting saying he knows it will turn that’s why England will play two spinners but will not be drawn on whether Hauritz will play

Dithering he knows he needs to play a spinner but is not convinced by Haauritz he wants his mate Warnie back

England win the toss big century for Pietersen as England post 550 then Swanny and Monty spin us to an innings victory or it could rain for 5 days

:D:D:D

Well, here we go again. The last Ashes series started whilst I and many others were on a boat from Hull to Rotterdam, headed to to see Rovers in Europe. We came into the main bar on the ship after a long night drinking and sleeping , as we approached the Dutch waters, with a crackling Sky News report seeming to say we had a poor first day. And as my mobile phone reception came back, a string of texts dropped into my inbox on the nightmare first over of Harmison, and how Ponting had had ripped us apart.

Seems a lifetime ago that series, so much water has gone under the bridge since that nightmare.

England (and Wales) expects so much in the morning lads, don't let us down.

I'm as giddy as a school girl with her first vibrator.

:lol:

I see they are building up Warnie's entrance, always been a huge fan of Warnie. One of the greats, speaks what he thinks and very intelligent when it comes to the game.

England won the toss and have decided to bat!

Hilfenhaus in the team??? No Stuart Clark? :o

Archived